Board for tall female beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 16
female Board for tall female beginner

I've just started learning to snowboard this year and I'm still very much a beginner-I'm able to snowplow down without falling, can manage some steering but only on my heel edge (like a "falling leaf") and no turns yet (I'll be taking lessons in a couple of weeks to improve on that).

The end of season sales in Vancouver are starting, so I'm hoping to take advantage since after my lessons I'll have sunk almost $200 into rentals already.

Right now for me it's a tie between the Roxy Ally and Gnu B-Nice (leaning more towards the Roxy) but I'm really open to any suggestions. I'll be riding at Whistler this season, and possibly Whistler/Cypress next. I'd like something that will help me learn but that I could get a few seasons out of. My concern with the Roxy Ally is that a couple of reviews I read said it's not as good on groomers, which is what I'm going to be spending most of my time learning on, and I don't want to be slipping all over the place.

Also, I'm completely confused about sizes. When I look at size charts, my weight and height make for 2 completely different board lengths-plus a lot of the women's boards have such huge weight ranges, I could really fit into any except the smallest size. My stats:

Height: 5ft10
Weight: 140lbs
Shoe Size: 9/10

I'm guessing for the Roxy I would need a 151LN or 155LN as those are the less narrow sizes and the 147 is only meant up to shoe size 9. I know men's boards are an option, but since I have such a steep learning curve in front of me I'd really like to stick with something female-specific that will be the most comfortable.

I'm not sure what size they've been giving me at the rental store-but they've also been giving me men's boards and boots (and telling me that the men's boots fit the same as women's....so I don't really trust their judgement).
meganfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,694
Blog Entries: 223
Default

Weight is generally more important than height for matching up the board to the rider, because your weight determines how much effort you have to put in to control the board. Where height can make a difference is:

- stance width. Shorter boards have a narrower range for binding spacing. Your stance width is based on your height. So if the board's widest stance setting is too narrow for you, you'll have to trade up.
- Waist width. Taller people tend to have longer feet. Too narrow a board means heel and toe drag.

So it's a bit of a compromise unless you're right in the middle of the bell curve for height/weight.
__________________

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
nmk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfm View Post
I've just started learning to snowboard this year and I'm still very much a beginner-I'm able to snowplow down without falling, can manage some steering but only on my heel edge (like a "falling leaf") and no turns yet (I'll be taking lessons in a couple of weeks to improve on that).

The end of season sales in Vancouver are starting, so I'm hoping to take advantage since after my lessons I'll have sunk almost $200 into rentals already.

Right now for me it's a tie between the Roxy Ally and Gnu B-Nice (leaning more towards the Roxy) but I'm really open to any suggestions. I'll be riding at Whistler this season, and possibly Whistler/Cypress next. I'd like something that will help me learn but that I could get a few seasons out of. My concern with the Roxy Ally is that a couple of reviews I read said it's not as good on groomers, which is what I'm going to be spending most of my time learning on, and I don't want to be slipping all over the place.

Also, I'm completely confused about sizes. When I look at size charts, my weight and height make for 2 completely different board lengths-plus a lot of the women's boards have such huge weight ranges, I could really fit into any except the smallest size. My stats:

Height: 5ft10
Weight: 140lbs
Shoe Size: 9/10

I'm guessing for the Roxy I would need a 151LN or 155LN as those are the less narrow sizes and the 147 is only meant up to shoe size 9. I know men's boards are an option, but since I have such a steep learning curve in front of me I'd really like to stick with something female-specific that will be the most comfortable.

I'm not sure what size they've been giving me at the rental store-but they've also been giving me men's boards and boots (and telling me that the men's boots fit the same as women's....so I don't really trust their judgement).
My wife is nearly same in physical profile as you. She rides the Burton X8 @ 151 freestyle and Burton Vapor @ 157 free ride.

If you go for an all round board I think the 155 would right.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 83
Default

152 flow jewel
$150!!

New Flow Jewel 152 Womens Rocker Freestyle Park Snowboard 2012 Stomp MSRP$396 | eBay
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfm View Post
Height: 5ft10
Weight: 140lbs
Shoe Size: 9/10
I think we need pics to accurately asses your situation!!! Oh god, just doing my part to scare away any new members...

Donutz is dead on that weight is more important than height. If you go for a longer board they will generally get stiffer and will be harder to learn on.

That said, I'm not convinced that hybrid camber is the way to go for a beginner. Very mild camber or flat may be a better option.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 585
Default

But you shouldn't optimize your purchase for "beginner" skill level unless you plan to suck for several years. If you really want a beginner board, get a cheap throw-away on craigslist and use it for a year.

BTW, anything with an "N" in the length means narrow. So try to find things that are not that.

Also, check this calculator:

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

It puts you around 153-155. If you stray from your target range, going smaller makes it a lot easier than going longer. Longer only helps you stay stable when going fast, and you'll have to be going fairly fast for a beginner or intermediate to reach the limits of a board that is a few cm too small. Smaller makes turning easier. At your height/weight/shoe size, you are going to find that you need a shortish board but have your feet much wider apart on the board, using the outside screw holes. You'll also find that anything with an 'N' probably won't work. Having your feet so far apart does buy you a little more clearance because the board is wider near the ends. It shouldn't be a real problem but you will want to test fit everything before you buy if possible, or really understand all of the measurements. Most people within the averages can kind of just pick something roughly close and not worry about it.

Also I don't think the guys at the shop were too far off when they said that the boards are made the same for men and women. It seems like women's boards are just smaller lengths and feminine graphics. Think about the difference between a shorter guy and an average woman. The weight is in slightly different places but really, what are you going to do differently to a piece of wood/fiberglass around your feet differently?

I know for my board (Lib Tech TRS), they literally just put girly graphics on the topsheet for the shorter sizes/narrow width and stuck them in the girls section. My girlfriend is 5'10" and I've learned that the industry does not seem to cater to females of that size.

Most important thing though, BUY YOUR BOOTS FIRST.

Last edited by jtg; 02-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,066
Default

go to Baker, the white salmon lodge and do a performance rental and the you can ride any higher end board and change them out anytime...thus you could demo 5-6 boards in a day. I'm sure they have roxy, gnu, lib, ns, burton, arbors

if ur determined to learn and are able to go often...like 1x/wk or more...skip the beginner level and just get an intermediate or higher
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 16
Default

Thanks for the advice everyone (and poutanen-you haven't scared me off! haha)

I know weight is more of a factor, but Donutz summed up what I'm worried about-that a board that matches my weight won't get me in a proper stance. Maybe I will need to look into some men's boards as well if you guys have any suggestions.

So I'm guessing I should be looking at boards in the 153/154 range-but in the case of boards that only come in 151 and 155, could I get away with a 151 for my height? I don't want to end up with something too big to control (then again, that's better than not being able to go very well in a board that's too short).

wrathfuldeity - Would be great to get to Baker but I'm tied to Whistler exclusively for this season. I know they do demos as well, so I'll look into some of the options they have-thanks for reminding me of that.
meganfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 585
Default

151 will be a fair bit easier to learn on than a 155, but I have doubts that it will allow a wide enough stance. You can gain a few cm of stance width by using the outer-most mounting holes and, depending on bindings, rotate the base plates and use the inner-most screw holes. However, sometimes you need to rotate them the other way in order to center them, so you'd lose that flexibility.

A 155 won't be a dealbreaker by any means - it's actually the ideal size according to that calculator if you select freeride and intermediate ability with your stats.

You can always learn to turn a longer board, but you can never make the outside pressure on your feet go away because the screws are holding them in a bad place. Except maybe with vicodin.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfm View Post
wrathfuldeity - Would be great to get to Baker but I'm tied to Whistler exclusively for this season. I know they do demos as well, so I'll look into some of the options they have-thanks for reminding me of that.
Head for the Burton demo tent (I heard it's up top somewhere)... The channel/ICS/EST system would be good for you. Nearly infinite mounting positions means a 6'0" person could ride a 149 and a 4'6" person could ride a 160 if they wanted. They also have a large selection in the beginner/intermediate range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
151 will be a fair bit easier to learn on than a 155, but I have doubts that it will allow a wide enough stance. You can gain a few cm of stance width by using the outer-most mounting holes and, depending on bindings, rotate the base plates and use the inner-most screw holes. However, sometimes you need to rotate them the other way in order to center them, so you'd lose that flexibility.
At 5'10" she's not going to have some crazy wide amazonian stance! Something around 22" would likely be a good starting place. A lot of boards down in the low 150 range should be able to have this is a stance option without having to go crazy. I'll measure my GFs old K2 Luna 149, I'm certain that one of the stance options is wider than 22".
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums