Question about romes mtn pop rocker profile. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about romes mtn pop rocker profile.

Hi, iv recently upgraded from a traditional camber nitro team series 159 board that i brought in 2005, i now own a rome agent rocker 153 - 2011/12. The board has a camber rocker camber Profile.

I brought the rome agent for many many reasons inc price, performance all mountain etc etc also its more my size the nitro was too big for me really.

Anyways, im not gonna get a chance to ride the agent till end of this year so im curious, if i had one bug bear with the nitro it was even thou im an intermediate rider and rarely caught edges on piste as i was toddling along on a flat cat track i was always shitting myself about catching an edge, it felt really unstable at slow speeds and many a time the inevitable happened.

Now i cant lie a small part of the choice of the agent as the purchase was the rocker between the feet which i hoped would help the edge catch at slow speed on flats.

So..... am i right? and if so do i need to concentrate on keeping my weight off toe and tail to avoid engaging the camber on flats? Or Is the rocker there simply to help engage turns and make it more playful at slower speeds?

Finally if im wrong would it pay to get tip and tail detuned or is this not necessary on a more modern board?

As you can probably tell im a newb when it comes to rocker profiles i read the sticky on board profiles through and searched the site and couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

Thanks for your help.
iratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone? Am i asking a stupid question or what?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

A final bump before this thread slips into obscurity.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

I actually had the opposite experience with rocker between the bindings. I felt more unstable going fast and slow than I did with a board with a camrock profile. Probably technique though. I'm sure you'll get used to the more loose/squirrelly type feeling the more you ride the rocker and will soon get it down.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

you don't need to detune the edges at the nose and tip b/c they are lifted still the camber , i don't believe go back down that far where it applies max pressure to the tail and nose.

Just ride and you will be fine.

If you are free riding you will be fine.
24WERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Can't comment on your particular board, but I just recently bought a used Neversummer Proto CT 157 and it has a camber/rocker/camber profile!

I learned to ride on an Arbor Roundhouse 163W! A full camber, directional, stiff board. Compared to the Arbor, the Proto feels Easy to ride! It does seem to just ride over chopped groomers & crud stuff at slow speed that would have the Arbor feeling pretty damned catchy!

If your technique is good on the cambered deck? The new board should be a LOT of fun to ride! If it's anything like the Proto tho, it will feel less stable at higher speeds than the cambered ride! At least on the chopped up stuff! On fresh or untracked groomers, it seems to ride pretty nice at speed!
(...ironically, my one Scorpion this year was on the Proto!!! Practicing some Nose press nollies to switch, came down on the toe edge & BAM!!! 52 year old sugar cookie!!!)

Have fun & start slow till you get a feel for it! It took me a few runs to get used to feel of the new ride, I actually wan't sure I liked it, but each subsequent run, it felt more & more Awesome! Now,.. I love it!!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote