Need waxed? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need waxed?

I just bought a brand new NS board and have rode it 2x so far. I am getting ready to head NW for a 4 day ride. Do I need to detune a new board or just hot wax, or nothing at all?
NSboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboarder View Post
I just bought a brand new NS board and have rode it 2x so far. I am getting ready to head NW for a 4 day ride. Do I need to detune a new board or just hot wax, or nothing at all?
Two separate issues (detuning and waxing)

#1, you probably don't need to wax. Some people say that the factory wax is only good for a day or two. I say bullshit, the factory base grind is usually so good that wax isn't that important. I say keep riding it for another few days.

#2, why do you want to detune? That should only be done for a rail board generally speaking. Detuning hurts carving performance...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Two separate issues (detuning and waxing)

#1, you probably don't need to wax. Some people say that the factory wax is only good for a day or two. I say bullshit, the factory base grind is usually so good that wax isn't that important. I say keep riding it for another few days.

#2, why do you want to detune? That should only be done for a rail board generally speaking. Detuning hurts carving performance...
#1, You say probably which concerns me. So let me ask you this, a hot wax job costs $10. I would rather pay $10 and make sure its great, than hoping the factory wax is only good for a day or two.

#2, This is new info to me and I like it. I didn't know detuning would hurt carving performance, but I can understand why. I guess I thought I would want to detune is because it creates the most ideal surface to do a hot wax.
NSboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboarder View Post
#1, You say probably which concerns me. So let me ask you this, a hot wax job costs $10. I would rather pay $10 and make sure its great, than hoping the factory wax is only good for a day or two.

#2, This is new info to me and I like it. I didn't know detuning would hurt carving performance, but I can understand why. I guess I thought I would want to detune is because it creates the most ideal surface to do a hot wax.
On point 1, there are several forum members that swear by NEVER waxing their boards. They are hardcore members too. I'm of the other camp, I do wax and structure, but I waiting until about day 10 on my new board before waxing. The factory structure on most boards is REALLY good. It shouldn't hold you back. I do my own wax jobs so they cost me nearly nothing, and I still didn't wax for the first 10 days of hard use.

On point 2, I think we're talking about a different detune. Do you mean you want to strip the base of it's factory wax? If so that's no big deal, I really don't think it makes a difference prior to waxing. What I was talking about was detuning the edges. Some people will take a file/stone and take the edge off a portion of their board, to make them easier to rail with. That hurts carving performance. There's nothing wrong with using cleaner to strip old wax off a board, but I honestly don't think it does anything unless there's crap/tar/dirt on the board from spring boarding.

Hope this helps!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should get your board waxed. I've never had my board waxed at a shop so I don't know if they do a good job or not. But waxing will definitely improve your performance, especially on powder.
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Factory wax is fine for 10 days or so.

If you have the time and know how to wax well, sure do it. If you are not that good,just wait until you are back.

Dont over think it man. Some people go a season of 50 days on factory wax, which means they are fucking up their base, but still, the board will still work rad.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I thought my NS factory wax faded after a couple days. I would do it under 2 conditions. 1. If there is a lot of powder, wax it. 2. If you see any edge burn (whitish, dry looking area, running the length of the board, close to edges), than wax it. I can ride a fresh waxed board for a week and notice edge burn, and then ride it another week before the burn starts moving towards the center.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post

If you have the time and know how to wax well, sure do it. If you are not that good,just wait until you are back.

Dont over think it man. Some people go a season of 50 days on factory wax, which means they are fucking up their base, but still, the board will still work rad.
What kind of magical factory wax lasts 10 days on even the crappiest snow? How does not waxing F up your board
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Some people go a season of 50 days on factory wax, which means they are fucking up their base, but still, the board will still work rad.
PSA Just in case you don't know better, don't do this.
alex12 is offline   Reply With Quote