New Never Summer Cobra.. setup suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Never Summer Cobra.. Update/review added Rossi angus too..

I just picked NS Cobra and Im stoked. I got it for 50% off today. Paid 275 for it. put some ride RX series bidings that ive been using for a few years.

Edited: It now wears the Flux TT30 bindings.. the bindings for me definitely took some getting used to. WAY more flex and overall loose fit than I was used to on the ride bindings.. I love the way they feel now but the first day on them I thought they were a mistake.

I was able to try the board on a 8" pow day a few weeks ago.. I can honestly say that I had one of the best days of my life, that day on the Cobra.. It took me a few runs to get used to the new board and radically different profile that I was used to(rossi one) but after that, I couldnt believe how much fun I was having.. I was truly "shredding". I was hitting every natural feature and kicking its pants. I did get a pretty tired and sore back leg but probably because I am used to a longer board(163)?? The short tail is REALLY noticeable also.. maybe thats why I ride the back a little more now?? This board just kicks serious a$$ In the trees.

I brought the board up last week on a icy morning and I was having a hard time reining the board in on the fast groomers. I was able to get some good speed but I was almost caught a few times on an edge.. saved it somehow.. I think that is why they call it the Cobra.. Dont rein it in and it WILL bite ya. I jumped on my Rossi one for a while and hauled ass with ease.. I jumped back on the Cobra again around noon when it was about 48 degrees and the snow got real soft. I put a all temp hot wax on the night before and slid with ease, I was having a blast again.

I have been riding a 2010 Rossignol One magtek, love that board but Im really dissapointed at the top sheet chipping and full on delaming on a fairly big spot on the tail. It doesnt seem very durable at all. I would estimate only roughly 45 days on it total..

Here is the Cobra with the ride bindings.

with the Flux TT30 bindings

So heres my other new addition.. Rossi Angus Mid wide 162 with Rome 390 boss bindings.. I scored both of them on ebay from a guy for 300. both are brand new. impulse buy i guess.. Cant wait to try this board though.

Question: should I switch the Rome bindings to the Cobra?

Last edited by Dirk; 03-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Suggestion: tell me where you found a cobra (or any NS) for half price...shit!

23 something sounds really wide for 5'11 185. I'm about your size, plus 10 lbs or so, riding a cobra 161. Bindings are at 21" and feel pretty good, I actually went in from 23" on my previous board (was a 163). Makes it feel more responsive, knees don't hurt as much at the end of the day either.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edit: rotate your highbacks so they are in line with the heel side of the board. Makes it a little easier to get weight over the front or back of board when you need to.

Last edited by kaborkian; 03-01-2013 at 11:38 PM.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Suggestion: tell me where you found a cobra (or any NS) for half price...shit!

23 something sounds really wide for 5'11 185. I'm about your size, plus 10 lbs or so, riding a cobra 161. Bindings are at 21" and feel pretty good, I actually went in from 23" on my previous board (was a 163). Makes it feel more responsive, knees don't hurt as much at the end of the day either.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks Man, that helps. Im going to move them in a bit then and see..

Yep, 50% off, last one left.. I had to buy it.. Wintersport a small local shop here in Spokane has great deals..

Edited: I just moved them in to 22.5"

Last edited by Dirk; 03-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post

Edit: rotate your highbacks so they are in line with the heel side of the board. Makes it a little easier to get weight over the front or back of board when you need to.
Awesome, just did that.. Thanks you, never even thought about doing that before..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am only 5'6" but anything less than 21" puts serious strain on my IB band on my front knee.

I think I need to work on my steep technique a bit, putting too much strain on my front knee
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

No real help here, but I am extremely jealous of that deal! Damn! I'd love to pick up a Cobra to go along with my Proto, and at 50% off yeah, that is a no-brainer. Should be a great board for all that snow you guys have been getting up in Washington/Idaho.
TBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Up at 49 north right now.. I had to widen my stance.. It is so warm the snow is like Velcro,i can't get a good feel for the board yet..
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just got my NS evo as well for 50% off at a local shop, its one hell of a deal
tonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice tonez...

So yeah.. Today was the worst sticky snow, I've ever experienced.. It even smeared up the factory wax on the board.. Horrible day.. Steep terrain even,, it would grab ya and wreck ya.. Oh well, hopefully it will get cold again.. It was 42
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heres a little update on the top thread.. I love this board..

What do you guys think of the Rossi Angus?

Should I put the Rome 390 boss bindings on the Cobra or the Angus?