Switch from traditional camber to C2-BTX - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switch from traditional camber to C2-BTX

So, I would guess that there's more than a few peeps around here that have gone from traditional camber to C2-BTX (or similar hybrid profiles) and I'm wondering how much different they really are/feel and how much of an adjustment period there was before you felt comfortable.

I ride a stiff Palmer Carbon Circle II but really like the LibTech T. Rice due to it being on the stiff side and for the MTX - plus this years graphics are pretty cool. I live in the Midwest and it gets pretty icey here and Magnetraction would really come in handy.

I don't go in the park or jib, purely for speed on groomers and a bit of Midwest powder - if there really is such a thing.

The sales are starting to hit and I don't want to miss out on a good deal but I don't want to waste money on a deck that will make it feel like I'm learning to ride all over again. My other option is that the 2014 Gnu Billy Goat is going to have the camber-dominant C3 profile so maybe I should just wait until its available.

Thoughts??
PalmerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

well if ur truely only blasting groomed ice at 40-50+mph...camber
but if you want to be at more cruising speed of 35 mph and mix things up and be a bit more playful and some nimble agility then the c2btx
is there a difference=yes, how much=not much in the middle but at the extreme levels of riding=yes wheather it be playfulness or at 50mph.

as for billy...it kind of goes the same way with c2 vs c3 billy....but imho buying a billy for the midwest...is a vanity thing and a waste of money...you would be severely under-utilizing its abilities on a midwest hill...billy was developed and made for steep tight pnw riding

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 03-02-2013 at 09:28 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.

I do usually go out west every year so my focus for a new deck would be to make sure that it can handle the Colorado/Utah/Cali resorts while the Magnetraction would be nice for some of the icey conditions that I run into at the local hills. Kinda killing two birds with one stone.

I've never measured how fast I go on the local hills but I'd guess 25-30MPH tops. The runs around here aren't very long and it makes getting up to higher speeds a bit difficult. However, I don't think I'd ever try to get up to 50MPH.

I do want to make sure that my new deck feels stable at higher speeds. Or at least what I would consider high speeds - 30MPH or so.

Ive heard that the 2014 Billy Goat will have a more "mellow" Magnetraction which won't be as "catchy" so that was a plus as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The switch really isn't that hard to make. If you can ride a camber deck, then you can ride a hybrid. It MIGHT take you a run or two to really feel it out, but believe me, you will be just fine.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not much difference. I went from Camber to Never Summer's R/C with almost no adjustment. I noticed a difference but it wasn't huge. A little squirrely flat basing on hard pack but that's about it.

The camber sections on the hybrid retain a lot of the feel of camber IMO.

Now, after riding Arbor's rocker for almost a season, and then going back to NS' R/C, that required an adjustment! I got lazy and sloppy with technique on the the Arbors. Took a Cobra out and was instantly reminded that I needed to stay more technical on it. Might just be the cobra though and not r/c in general.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I switched from an old cambered Jamie Lynn Phoenix to a Gnu Riders Choice with c2BTX. Took me about three runs to adjust, but I was falling in love with snowboarding all over again.

The stability at high speeds is still there, but flat basing is a different feel. I find that you can still get that flat based feel by being ever so slightly on edge with the c2. To me the faster you go the more it locks in to that camber feel of stability.

Overall I found going to c2 improved my confidence on technical terrain and I was able to bomb through stuff I would have previously expected to eat me up.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the replies - it's much appreciated.

I' gonna start hunting the online sales for a 157 T. Rice and try to get a good deal. Dogfunk has them for a decent price - I think for around $450.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerFreak View Post
Thanks for all of the replies - it's much appreciated.

I' gonna start hunting the online sales for a 157 T. Rice and try to get a good deal. Dogfunk has them for a decent price - I think for around $450.
Evo.com has them 30% off right now
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctahoe View Post
Evo.com has them 30% off right now
Thanks for that - Dogfunk is only 20% off.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't really bought a board towards the end of a season before - is 30% off a good deal or will they cut the prices even more?