Bad Knees - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BR22

Default Bad Knees

When playing basketball or football I always have problems with pains in my knees.
I normally get real achy and pain in my knees while jumping. And just recently I was jmuping aorund in my basement on my snowboard on flat ground and was getting alot of the same kind of pains, which were really holding me back from my max ollie jumping hieght.
I was wondering if any1 else has bad knees and if it effects your snowboarding?
And if any1 does have the same problem what can yu do to deal with it.
If any1 knows good exercices, strecthes, foods, or people to see to help please let me know!

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
ThinkFloyd

I have horrible knees too.
I get bad pain and cracking in them if I crouch for a long time and then get up. I personally haven't done anything about it yet, even though I know I should.
Your best bet is to talk to your doctor. You may need orthodics or something. They can really help.

And don't forget to drink your milk!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is where you have to disregard western medicine to a point. I've been on Glucosamine Condroitin with MSM. You need to find a formula of this stuff that works for you. I've tried about 12 different formulas for the last 3 years. I've discovered that the Kroger store brand works the best for me and I take about 2200mg's of it daily. I used to have knees that would swell up and be destroyed after riding. It takes about 3 to 4 weeks to feel anything but once it rebuilds the Senovial fluids in the knees you will feel it. Also get a good custom orthodic in your boot.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
hipbone

I have had knee surgery. Ridding was tough at first, but the best thing for it was strengthing the muscsle around and it. Also make sure to work on flexibility/mobility and you will be good to go.

See if you can find an athletic therapist/trainer that will do a posterual analisys(static and dynamic) for you and develop a plan of actoin. When your body is lined up properly the pain tends to disapate rather fast.

BA's suggestion wont hurt either, but I would use it in conjuction with a sound plan of action that will help cure the problem.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ Yeah forgot to mention that doing exercises that use the knees and build muscle is key to using the pills I'm on. I've found that longboarding and just pushing around a lot has helped.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
kylebaz

i fractured my knee snowboarding 2 winters ago, but no knee promblems. funny story though, getting pulled behind a snowmobile hitting a 4 foot tall kicker with a 6.5 gap. The catch was that u also had to clear the 4 foot wood fence at the end of the gap or u were fucked. well first try my friend was going about 20mph on the snowmoblie, did a 180 over the gap to get warmed up. 2nd try i was like ill do a 360, so my friend was going a slower it seemed this time but i was like w.e ill get it down, did a 270 and smack, my knee directly on the fence. cracked right in half. i guess he said he was only going about 14mph so not enough speed at all. fun stuff.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have tendinitis on both of my knees, so I have to wear knee sleeves when I am out riding. They help a lot.

Have a physical therapist (read: not primary physician) look at it.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

are there any things u can put on your knees as a preventative measure? like wearing one of those sleeves before doin' some crazy 'ish?
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

from an evolutionary standpoint, knee design is fucking awful.

if any jesus botherer tries to tell you their god exists on the basis of 'intelligent design' then ask them why such a creator did such a shit job of knees!?

point is, for what we try to do, in our sporting and hobby endeavours, our knees are profoundly incapable!

i have fekking awful knees; achy, crackley the whole deal. very concerning. i never did anything mega bad to them, such as injury or surgery... just simple wear and tear.

if anything, and in light of people recommending a good exercise regime, my gym work has probably been the main cause of knee pain. with their being 6 to 10 different muscles ligaments and tendons pulling to either extend of flex the knee joint, any imbalance in any of these, will result in rubbing and thus wearing of cartilage in the joint. this = inflammation = pain.

the remedy is therefore do not exercise; do not move! of course this is no good and so you have to metal up and deal with it! sucks for sure.

i have forked out for glucosamine and chondroitin in the past. and it seemed to work. you need to take it daily (but not as much as said in a previous post, because once the limit of about 1000mg daily is met, the rest is just pissed away down the toilet) for about 6 weeks before you see any benefit.

HOWEVER, the benefit is tiny and to be certain, to find out if i was realising true benefit and not just placebo i have since stopped taking glucosamine for about 6 weeks and i have not suffered for it.

also, this fashionable supplement to your diet, is largely made up of shark derivatives. SO DO NOT BUY THESE! cod liver oil maybe, but not glucosamine and chondroitin; it is BOGUS!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Froggyste

wow, from such a simple question, this topic has seemed to become a "whos the best doctor on this forum" post!

too intelligent for me, ive ruptured my cruciate ligament and torn my medials twice in the same knee and have always had pain problems with it. ive had countless physio n all that shit n, to be fair, wearing a sleeve makes me feel alot better, more confident too.