Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   When in the stash, does size really matter? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/71450-when-stash-does-size-really-matter.html)

crash77 03-03-2013 03:28 PM

When in the stash, does size really matter?

I was browsing Dogfunk and began comparing specs for identical boards at different lengths. I compared the effective edge, waist width, and sidecut radius. I took a look at the NS Evo and according to their site the specs are as follows:

Evo 152
EE: 1220mm
WW: 244mm
SR: 7.2m

Evo 154
EE: 1220mm
WW: 251mm
SR: 7.22m

My question is, if the same rider at 5'8 1/2" 160lbs-165lbs rode both boards, what would be the difference in performance between the 2 lengths? What could he expect to lose or gain with each size?

poutanen 03-03-2013 03:31 PM

Those are fairly close in length, but in short, yes, length/size does matter.

I weigh 175 lb or so, rode a 156 in the powder yesterday morning, and went running back to the base for my 160 with more setback. No comparison...

At your weight I think both or those boards seem a little short.

crash77 03-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 796946)
Those are fairly close in length, but in short, yes, length/size does matter.

I weigh 175 lb or so, rode a 156 in the powder yesterday morning, and went running back to the base for my 160 with more setback. No comparison...

At your weight I think both or those boards seem a little short.

Ok. I was trying to be funny with the title.:thumbsdown:

MINUS THE POWDER, just hard pack, groomers, park on small PA hills

poutanen 03-03-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash77 (Post 796962)
Ok. I was trying to be funny with the title.:thumbsdown:

MINUS THE POWDER, just hard pack, groomers, park on small PA hills

LOL sorry my sarcasm meter is on the fritz today! :occasion14:

Yeah, on hardpack you still want the longest effective edge you can reasonably handle, and a longer sidecut radius will mean you've got to lean the board more to get the same turn. There's a reason the race boards are super long and have super long sidecut radii!

Again, I still think they're a little short for your weight. The 154 will probably be fine, but longer wouldn't hurt if you want to carve on hardpack.

crash77 03-03-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 796986)
LOL sorry my sarcasm meter is on the fritz today! :occasion14:

Yeah, on hardpack you still want the longest effective edge you can reasonably handle, and a longer sidecut radius will mean you've got to lean the board more to get the same turn. There's a reason the race boards are super long and have super long sidecut radii!

Again, I still think they're a little short for your weight. The 154 will probably be fine, but longer wouldn't hurt if you want to carve on hardpack.

Yeah, Leo advised the 154 as well. I was just curious because, as you also pointed out, there is not a big difference the two. See what happens when your season ends early...in the house with cabinet fever over analyzing shit!