When in the stash, does size really matter? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When in the stash, does size really matter?

I was browsing Dogfunk and began comparing specs for identical boards at different lengths. I compared the effective edge, waist width, and sidecut radius. I took a look at the NS Evo and according to their site the specs are as follows:

Evo 152
EE: 1220mm
WW: 244mm
SR: 7.2m

Evo 154
EE: 1220mm
WW: 251mm
SR: 7.22m

My question is, if the same rider at 5'8 1/2" 160lbs-165lbs rode both boards, what would be the difference in performance between the 2 lengths? What could he expect to lose or gain with each size?
crash77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Those are fairly close in length, but in short, yes, length/size does matter.

I weigh 175 lb or so, rode a 156 in the powder yesterday morning, and went running back to the base for my 160 with more setback. No comparison...

At your weight I think both or those boards seem a little short.
poutanen is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Those are fairly close in length, but in short, yes, length/size does matter.

I weigh 175 lb or so, rode a 156 in the powder yesterday morning, and went running back to the base for my 160 with more setback. No comparison...

At your weight I think both or those boards seem a little short.
Ok. I was trying to be funny with the title.

MINUS THE POWDER, just hard pack, groomers, park on small PA hills
crash77 is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
Ok. I was trying to be funny with the title.

MINUS THE POWDER, just hard pack, groomers, park on small PA hills
LOL sorry my sarcasm meter is on the fritz today!

Yeah, on hardpack you still want the longest effective edge you can reasonably handle, and a longer sidecut radius will mean you've got to lean the board more to get the same turn. There's a reason the race boards are super long and have super long sidecut radii!

Again, I still think they're a little short for your weight. The 154 will probably be fine, but longer wouldn't hurt if you want to carve on hardpack.
poutanen is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
LOL sorry my sarcasm meter is on the fritz today!

Yeah, on hardpack you still want the longest effective edge you can reasonably handle, and a longer sidecut radius will mean you've got to lean the board more to get the same turn. There's a reason the race boards are super long and have super long sidecut radii!

Again, I still think they're a little short for your weight. The 154 will probably be fine, but longer wouldn't hurt if you want to carve on hardpack.
Yeah, Leo advised the 154 as well. I was just curious because, as you also pointed out, there is not a big difference the two. See what happens when your season ends early...in the house with cabinet fever over analyzing shit!
crash77 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome