Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Do i need another board for Japan/Switzerland? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/7163-do-i-need-another-board-japan.html)

krazibone 09-22-2008 02:20 AM

Do i need another board for Japan/Switzerland?

Hi guys

Some may remember me from 2-3 months ago at the beginning of our Australian winter i was on a hunt for my first board and settled with a Rome agent. Since our winter season is over i am currently experiencing post-winter depression and have decided to go to Japan and Switzerland for more snowboarding in Jan/Feb.

Do i need another snowboard for Japan something like a powder board or free ride board? If so anyone got any recommendations for a certain type of board? I have no experience in powder and would love to learn how to ride deep powder so i can avoid spending 5-20 minutes climbing out of deep snow. :D Are these types of boards generally stiffer compared to the free style boards?

Some examples:

Custom X?
Neversummer SL?
Nitro Pantera?
Rome Anthem/notch?

friends 09-22-2008 02:57 AM

sounds like you have enough money to buy me a 2nd board.

krazibone 09-22-2008 03:01 AM

not really :cheeky4:

Ride_Capita 09-22-2008 04:09 AM

i am a big fan of the k2 believer or k2 gyrator. both boards would work well in the powder but the believer can also be used as a park board very effectively. up to you of course.

oneplankawanka 09-22-2008 11:13 AM

I don't know being that japaneese snow and all...sell all your gear and buy all new that damn japaneese snow.. geez.. and when you come over to the states the snow is completely different over here so sell all your gear then too...

krazibone 09-22-2008 06:15 PM

Hi Ride

Thanks for your suggestion i'll have a look at the boards you mentioned.

nzboardlife 09-22-2008 09:12 PM

maybe take a look at the lib tech mullet

Lib Tech Snowboard Lib Tech 1986 Snow Mullet BTX Snowboard

seems like something that will work back at your local mt too.

krazibone 09-22-2008 09:57 PM

Hi NZ

The mullet looks phat! and i'm pretty sure it will perform really well judging by the reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

Just wondering when people go on a ski/snowboard trip do people usually bring two boards one for pow and the other for normal groomed runs? I'm moving to London so will be spending most of the winter there.

BurtonAvenger 09-22-2008 11:05 PM

Any real shop will tell you that ideally you should have 2 boards you're everyday do anything or park stick and a specialty pow stick.

Japans pow is real light and fluffy and they get heaps of it. You'll either want a rockered board or something with a good amount of taper to it if you go that route.

Boards I'd consider on that note would be the Never Summer Summit, Atomic Radon CT, Prior Kyber, Burton Fish, Burton malolo, lib tech snow mullet, rome notch, K2 Gyrator, K2 turbo dream, etc. etc.

Now if you're going with an all mountain freestyle board that can handle it all you'd want to at least consider a rockered board like say the never summer sl r, k2 turbo dream, possibly one of the lib techs like the trs.

nzboardlife 09-23-2008 11:04 PM

the mullet is rockered too isn't it?

BA have you trailed a hammock? any good?