Rome Snowboards and Rider Weight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome Snowboards and Rider Weight

So I've checked out a few board sizing calculators, and recommendations, and I noticed that Rome snowboards are recommended for much lighter persons than the calculators and recommendations say.

According to snowboardsizingguide.com and frostyrider.com, a female 180 to 190 lbs can ride a board that's 153 cm long.

The Rome Vynil snowboard (women's) that I saw on evo.com has a suggested rider weight of 105 to 150 lbs. That's a huge difference.
Rome Vinyl Rocker Snowboard - Women's 2012 | evo outlet

Are Rome not capable of supporting a heavy person like most other boards?

I realize this is a manufacturer recommendation and it would be silly to ignore it, but why such a large disparity from other boards?

Will the board just break under a heavier rider?
FireStarter451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

im 190lbs and ride an artifact rocker 155 wide. its doing fine
sxdaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Could be a way around warranty claims. If most people riding the board are over the recommended weight even though it "should" be the right size then they can claim it was the riders weight that caused the problem.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStarter451 View Post
According to snowboardsizingguide.com and frostyrider.com...
Well there's your problem.

Always use the manufacturers suggested weight range, or the middle of that suggested weight range, as a starting point.

Skill, experience, riding style, what you want to get out of the board, etc., are all going to play a part in what size you ultimately want.

E.g., Frosty says I should be riding a 164-166 which is maybe true if this was 2003 and I was riding a directional cambered stick for big-mountain riding. I ride 156-157 in the park and maybe 161 for all-mountain. You couldn't pay me to ride a 166 unless it was a pow-only board.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rome's ratings on the women's boards seems to run on the high end, ask some of the women on here and they should help out. Got a friend a Vinyl Rocker 148. Rome was recommending a 151, she seems very happy with the 148, probably could have even gotten a size lower.

Edit: She is at 120 lbs.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 03-04-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I noticed this as well when I bought my Rome Gold in December. Based on my weight (around 115-120), their size chart made it seem like I would be better with the 152 (so I would be in the middle of the weight range). After emailing a couple reps from Rome, I ended up getting the 147 (same size as the board I had before that), and am really happy with it even though I was on the upper end of the weight range. I would have been fine going longer as well I think, but I like it a bit shorter for chutes and trees and stuff. It definitely doesn't seem too short compared to the 147 camber board I had before it, so I would be surprised if it was something weird about Rome boards in general. How big is your current board, and is the profile similar to the vinyl rocker?
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
How big is your current board, and is the profile similar to the vinyl rocker?
This was going to be a present for a new rider who does not currently own any board.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're 180/190 depending on foot size you may want to look at men's boards mid-flex probably in the 152 range. Sadly I just don't think you're going to find a woman's board that is designed for your weight, so you'll need to get creative.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
E.g., Frosty says I should be riding a 164-166 which is maybe true if this was 2003 and I was riding a directional cambered stick for big-mountain riding. I ride 156-157 in the park and maybe 161 for all-mountain. You couldn't pay me to ride a 166 unless it was a pow-only board.
Frosty puts me on a 171 but I ride a 166w and rode a 164w up until this season just fine. I think at this point anything bigger than a 166 would be more than I'd want in absence of powder. So like David said, don't put too much into those types of calculators.

Incidentally, Leo was my snowboard sizing calculator...
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
If you're 180/190 depending on foot size you may want to look at men's boards mid-flex probably in the 152 range. Sadly I just don't think you're going to find a woman's board that is designed for your weight, so you'll need to get creative.
I noticed that this morning. I went through a whole bunch of women's boards on evo.com and very, very few of them went up that high in rider weight.