Mitts Versus Gloves - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
livelyjay

Default Mitts Versus Gloves

There are some Dakine gloves up on Tramdock right now. I'd like to know everyone's opinions on gloves versus mitts. Can I strap into my bindings with mitts? That's the only question I have about them really, but would still like everyone's opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mitts are way warmer than gloves,and yes you can strap in.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I rocked both mitts & gloves up until I lost my mitts. That was a sad day with much crying. They both have the obvious advantages and disadvantages but I really didn't have much trouble getting in my bindings while wearing my mitts and they are much warmer. Once you're used to them mitts are pretty great...
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mitts are okay. You can strap in with them on. If you have to do any fiddling around you'll probably end up removing them. If you're going to be snowboarding in very frigid temps (say Alaska, Everest) they are the way to go. A couple of things though. The Cobra Mitt is not a super cold weather mitt. You can get gloves that are warmer. If you have problems with your hands getting cold then mitts are the best answer too. If you don't ride in extremely cold locals, or have freezing hand issues, then I would stick with gloves.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
livelyjay

What are some examples of warm gloves that aren't going to break my bank account? Rome is one of the few that has a rating system for warmth and feel. My Dakine gloves I bought for $50 MSRP (they are similar to the new frontier) don't really cut it. They get damp on the inside and after a few hours my hands are freezing.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The REI Backcountry glove was a good one for warmth. The Black Diamond Patrol and Guide gloves are very warm. There are several out there. The BD Gloves have been popping on Tramdock. I picked up a pair of XL Patrol gloves last week.

Gloves are tough, at local shop sales, look for beefy pairs with either prima loft insulation or removable liners. It should look like a warm glove, not a pipe glove. GorTex is nice for wetter climates. Shop around for sure. In general warmer glovs cost a bit more than mitts of the same rating because of construction.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wear both. for cold days I use mitts. when it is a bit warmer I will wear gloves. like everyone said yes you can strap in with mitts but gloves are a little easier. personally if I had to make a choice I would pick mitts.
stuntmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

i like that i can stick a hand warmer by my fingers for mitts, whereas itll only fit up to my palms in gloves
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF View Post
i like that i can stick a hand warmer by my fingers for mitts, whereas itll only fit up to my palms in gloves
^^he speaks the thruth.
stuntmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The have warmers that actually have a band that goes around the bottom of your wrist. That way it warms up the blood flowing into your hands. Works much better imo.

Also, if you get cold hands, with your arms outstretched do quick small circles. That will get the blood flowing into your hands quickly. I have to do this all the time when skinning in the backcountry on a cold day. Gripping poles seems to cut off my circulation enough for my hands to get cold. So I'll take a quick break to do that from time to time.