Advice on 2nd board, used or less expensive possibly. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
My first board is a K2 HC161 I bought used.
Can anyone tell about this K2 HC161? I guess it would be a traditional camber, but what would be the stiffness rating? How different is this from a newer camber with rocker tips style?

I still a newbie, but on the greens and easier blues this board is easy to ride at moderate speed. I'm enjoying dialing in different types of turn. Last time out there was 9" of new wet snow and another 2" fell in the morning. I challenged myself on longer steeper runs sections with moguls, after an hour it was chopped up and more difficult. I ended up with my rear leg burning and tired. I would like the new board to help in these conditions.

On a previous day with 20" of lighter snow I did not have to work so much on keeping the nose up.

So far, the c2btx type profile, is what I will be looking for. I'm not sure how to factor in stiffness.
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

I don't think they have made the HC in over a decade. Specifically, if you have the one that I think you have, it is a 1995 model. Flex- or anything-wise on a board this old, and one that has been used as part of a rental fleet, is going to be tough to compare. Chances are the one you have is pretty beat up and broken down. The HC did have a full wood core in the mid-1990s though, which is good. A lot of brands back then were using foam composite cores that break down significantly over time.

In any case the HC would definitely be traditional camber - and that would be true even if it was as new as 2008 or 2009 (which again, they were not making the HC that recently).

The newere R-C-R style is going to ride a lot like traditonal camber, with a bit more play in the tips and should be a bit easier to keep "up" in the deep stuff. Nothing is going to completely alleviate that rear leg burn, except riding powder all the time. It's just a different use of the muscles, and for most of us, it's unfortunately infrequent
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your heart is set on a Billy Goat, then get it. I think it would fit your desires pretty well.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
I don't think they have made the HC in over a decade. Specifically, if you have the one that I think you have, it is a 1995 model. Flex- or anything-wise on a board this old, and one that has been used as part of a rental fleet, is going to be tough to compare. Chances are the one you have is pretty beat up and broken down. The HC did have a full wood core in the mid-1990s though, which is good. A lot of brands back then were using foam composite cores that break down significantly over time.

In any case the HC would definitely be traditional camber - and that would be true even if it was as new as 2008 or 2009 (which again, they were not making the HC that recently).

The newere R-C-R style is going to ride a lot like traditonal camber, with a bit more play in the tips and should be a bit easier to keep "up" in the deep stuff. Nothing is going to completely alleviate that rear leg burn, except riding powder all the time. It's just a different use of the muscles, and for most of us, it's unfortunately infrequent
Agree, the RCR really revived the camber as a core design between the insert. however i'm still not sold on the "floatability" of my camrocks(the greats and rossi angus)
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I recently bought a Burton Custom for $220, including bindings which I'll sell for about $70.
thred hijack! poutanen im in need of set of bindings...are they decent?
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
thred hijack! poutanen im in need of set of bindings...are they decent?
PM sent...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
I will be looking for a second board for next season.

Some background on me:
60 years old. 165 pounds. Size 8.5 to 9 boot.
First year snowboarding, been out 6 times this season so far.
Will shoot for 12 sessions next year.

Style is freeride. I'm looking for a board that will support
advancing in powder, steeps, bumps and trees.
I favor versatility at lower speeds over higher speed capability.

Gnu Billy Goat 156 is at the top of my list.

Topics for discussion:
* Wisdom of used versus new.
* Boards to consider.
On the goat you got to be pretty aggressive on it...its a fun ride and shall we say "forgiving" if you are aggressive and charge...but not necessairly relaxing...it wants to take off and go...I'm 180, small feet and have a 159 split...got about 12-15 days on it...got it under control...but it wants to take off.

If you want versatility at lower speeds and advancing in powder steeps bumps and trees....go with a rider's choice in 154.5...its more controllable without having to be aggressive and is still agile/nimble and fast enough. Actually I'm going to try to pick up one used for more relaxed riding...btw I've also spent time some time on it.

edit...on second read...ur a newbie still working on blues and greens...get the rider's choice...the goat will take you for a ride

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 03-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Can anyone tell about this K2 HC161? I guess it would be a traditional camber, but what would be the stiffness rating? How different is this from a newer camber with rocker tips style?

I still a newbie, but on the greens and easier blues this board is easy to ride at moderate speed. I'm enjoying dialing in different types of turn. Last time out there was 9" of new wet snow and another 2" fell in the morning. I challenged myself on longer steeper runs sections with moguls, after an hour it was chopped up and more difficult. I ended up with my rear leg burning and tired. I would like the new board to help in these conditions.

On a previous day with 20" of lighter snow I did not have to work so much on keeping the nose up.

So far, the c2btx type profile, is what I will be looking for. I'm not sure how to factor in stiffness.
well on a 20" fresh ur just going to need something with some float...so 3 boards...groomer board, an rc or billy and a pow. The billy will blast some good pow but it is not a deep pow board...i'd say its limits is 16-20" deep on 40+ depreed slope...low angle...no