owning vs. renting a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
bobbypillowz

Default owning vs. renting a board

when i told my mom i wanted to get a board she said she wanted to get me one last christmas but my uncle and 2 stores talked her out of it and said that im better off just renting a board ever year just for the winter...what are the pros and cons of renting a board vs owning one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how many times per year are you planning on riding? are you looking at a seasonal rental or daily?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
jimmyjtn

Yeah I think it would depend on how many times you plan on going. If you plan on gonig a lot then it would probably benefit you in the long run to just get your own gear. It doesn't even have to be new. I bought most of my stuff used butin fairly good condition when I started out. It feels good carrying your own board into the park haha.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
AAA

You'll have to do the math to see, financially, how many days of use you need to put in before the cost of ownership pays off. Don't forget to include boots and bindings in your figures. And, if you're young, as it sounds, you'll need to estimate the number of years of use you'll get out of your own equipment until you outgrow it. If you only ride a few times a year, renting certainly will work out cheaper.

Beyond cost, the cons with rental boards are their typical low quality, poor maintenance (ie; waxing), and questionable availability in your size. Of course, it can be a hassle to stand in line and get fitted every time you hit the mountain. Owning your own gear certainly is nicer, but remember that you'll need to learn to wax and maintain it (or pay a shop to do it instead).

If the cost difference works in your favor, or at least is close, then IMO, it's time to consider buying. Don't overlook the used market for equipment. There is tons of great gear on sites like this and ebay, that can be had for a fraction of the new price. Of the half dozen boards I've purchased over the last 18 years, my last three boards (and another in route as I type), were used, in fact. With the exception of this last one (an '08 model in mint condition), all cost less than half the new price.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
bobbypillowz

well im gonna buy a season pass...and probably theres gonna be vans going up to the mountain ever weekend...so hopefully once a week on saturday and i may skip some days depending on the weather and my schedule
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are buying a season pass it sounds like you're planning on putting in enough days to justify buying your own equipment.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
mdc

Time to buy your own gear. You will have a much better experience once you are used to riding the same board, boots, bindings every trip. As others have said, look used or checkout last years models which are dirt cheap right now.

MDC
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
bobbypillowz

can you guys link me to a good wide used board i guess? from what im hearing over 162?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Joetaff

Whats your weight, boot size, riding preferance(park, pow, all mt.) and skill level

but just some preliminary suggestions and geared toward someone with big feet (all of these boards are 08' models availiable half price at sierra snowboards.com)

Ride Yukon-if your a mid level intermediate rider coming up on advanced (not for the park very stiff) $249 down from $500

Ride fleetwood-good all around board for someone just starting out to an intermediate rider $179 down from $350

Rome Slash-a good park board, quite flexy. made for the park minded intermediate rider $235 down from $470

Forum Lander-A good midwide (size 10.5-11.5 boot) all around board for the intermediate to advanced rider $230 down from $470

From there grab some 08 Ride LX bindings ($60 down from $120) and go somewhere you can try on boots and your set.

Hope that helps, keep in mind these are all last years boards and all would be considered wide. I have bought 2 boards from sierra, cant say enough good about them. Check it out.

Snowboards - Snowboards Sales

-John

Last edited by Joetaff; 09-25-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
bobbypillowz

joetaff, i have a size 14 or 15 boot depending...i hear about the toe of the boot touching the snow when toe side turning....will this happen to any of these boards since theyre wide?