How long til you change/upgrade bindings? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
alildusty

Default How long til you change/upgrade bindings?

I bought a new set up this year - '09 Lib Tech Skate Banana 148 and Vans Encore BOA's

I haven't bought new bindings cause I wasn't sure if it was needed....

I have '07 Rome 390's that have been used for a season and a half. do I need to or should I get new bindings as well?

How often does everyone here buy new bindings? just wondering the wearout rate.

THANKS

Last edited by alildusty; 09-26-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wear out? one pair of binding i ride are going on about 5 seasons old. i usually buy new stuff when the old stuff breaks. i'd rather spend my money on lift tickets than new gear every year.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey TJ. Buy some FUCKING BINDINGS already!
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

haha. i have a new pair of customs with only a few days on them. my old missions are still going strong. no need to upgrade them. i do need to spend some money on boots tho.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i've been sliding sideways for about 12 years and i am on my third pair of binders.

however, if you are the kinda person who is happy to piss money away on things they 'want' as opposed to 'need', i would get binders at the same time as boots, to ensure that they compliment each other.

no point buying a perfect fitting booty if it is as sloppy as hell in the binder or gives you pinches.....

but meh, what the hell do i know? i've only ever owned 3 pair of binders!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
AAA

Ha! My softboot setup is still the same Burton Asym Air with the original 3-strap bindings that I bought new probably 15 years ago. And I still wear the same Burton Comp boots, which are even older. The bindings are still fine, though the board has some cracks and a minor delam repair or two. Duct tape pretty much is keeping the boots together. I've got literally hundreds of days on that setup, and well, it still works. I ride alpine gear 95% of the time and therefore tend to spend my money on those upgrades a bit more. I find it tough to justify to myself upgrading softboot equipment which I'll seldom use.

IMO, for most morals, if you've bought quality equipment which hasn't broken or worn out, there generally aren't any technological innovations over a 5-year window that neccessarily warrant an upgrade. 'Course buying and riding new stuff is fun...so who's really to argue!

Last edited by AAA; 09-26-2008 at 01:19 PM.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I get new ones every season but thats because I put over 100 days on them and destroy the piss out of them. If the bindings are still going strong I just use them till they explode. I had a pair of Drakes that I got over 500 days on before I retired them.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bindings can theoretically last almost forever because unlike boots or snowboards, anything that breaks on them you can generally find replacement parts for.

I don't think you need new bindings, a season and a half is nothing for bindings.

If the newest 390s have a really vital upgrade to them you can see about just buying the new part or you can consider replacing your old ones.

You should maybe spend some time this season searching for opportunities to demo product. You may find a binder that blows the performance you are getting right now out of the water; I can't think of a better reason to retire an old pair of bindings.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTPete

replace them when new tech comes out or urs breaks. the k2 autos have some nice new features.