How bad will these dings to my base effect riding some powder tmrw? (quick reply plz) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How bad will these dings to my base effect riding some powder tmrw? (quick reply plz)

I just got back from 2.5 hours of squats, deadlifts, bench, etc at the gym and I have about 3 hours before I have to get to bed if I want to have the energy to ride tomorrow and not commit muscular suicide. The LAST thing in the world I want to do right now is spend an hour p-texing and then rushing to get all my gear and whatnot ready for tomorrow. The p-tex I have is also pretty shite quality and I am not going to be making a trip to REI tonight to get some Swix, so whatever I p-tex tonight will have to be re-done....

So that leaves the question... Do I really need to p-tex this to have a good day tomorrow? Or are these minor enough that they won't affect my riding at all? If I HAVE to p-tex this, as sacrilege as it may be, I may just PUSSY the F out and not ride at all... I am just TOO beat from the gym. I will pry be doing a quick wax, if that makes a difference. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
rvcasrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

It could use some ptex but if you're riding powder I wouldn't worry about it. The only risk is if you catch the edge on a rock in the same gouge, you could bend the edge. If you won't be hitting rocks you'll be fine...

Wouldn't hurt to wax it and let the wax fill the voids for now.

edit: I gotta ask though, why the gym the day BEFORE snowboarding?!? Are you nuts??? I need all the strength I can get to go hard for a day!

Oh yeah, and this is my 3000th post! Woo hoo!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
It could use some ptex but if you're riding powder I wouldn't worry about it. The only risk is if you catch the edge on a rock in the same gouge, you could bend the edge. If you won't be hitting rocks you'll be fine...
I very well could hit some rocks as I am going shithole Mountain High and riding some ungroomed trails on a powder day is how I got those in the first place :\

Quote:
edit: I gotta ask though, why the gym the day BEFORE snowboarding?!? Are you nuts??? I need all the strength I can get to go hard for a day!

Oh yeah, and this is my 3000th post! Woo hoo!!!
haha I know what you mean but I just don't have enough days in the week for everything to be "ideal" and I'm not skipping a workout, so I push my body to its limits and do what I gotta do. what doesn't kill me makes me stronger and as long as I eat enough and get enough sleep no harm shall be done

congrats on 3k

Last edited by rvcasrfr; 03-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Some of those look fairly deep. If you are not going to fill them tonight, make sure you wipe down your board good after riding and take it inside to dry out...you dont want water in there freezing and ruining your base.

Wax to seal, ride, dry well, ptex
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcasrfr View Post
I very well could hit some rocks as I am going shithole Mountain High and riding some ungroomed trails on a powder day is how I got those in the first place :

haha I know what you mean but I just don't have enough days in the week for everything to be "ideal" and I'm not skipping a workout, so I push my body to its limits and do what I gotta do. what doesn't kill me makes me stronger and as long as I eat enough and get enough sleep no harm shall be done
Yeah, I got some good gouges early this year that looked very similar (about 1/2" x 2" right beside the edge). I filled them with ptex and rode again over rocks and it just pulled the ptex out. Honestly if you've got the candle and a scraper, I'd spend the 10 mins and ptex it. Might save your edge. But don't let it stop you from going out...

Snowboarding IS my primary workout! Everything else is training for boarding! I got into triathlons late last year, and am going to do more summer/off-season sports to keep in shape for boarding.

Have fun tomorrow!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I got some good gouges early this year that looked very similar (about 1/2" x 2" right beside the edge). I filled them with ptex and rode again over rocks and it just pulled the ptex out. Honestly if you've got the candle and a scraper, I'd spend the 10 mins and ptex it. Might save your edge. But don't let it stop you from going out...

Snowboarding IS my primary workout! Everything else is training for boarding! I got into triathlons late last year, and am going to do more summer/off-season sports to keep in shape for boarding.

Have fun tomorrow!
thanks for the reply brother. you are absolutely right... I think I am building p-texing into something it doesn't have to be because I spent so long last time trying to get it perfect (first time) just for it all to fall it. but if I go for a "i don't give a sh!t if it falls out" approach this time I think I can get it done in the 10 mins you're talking about and save myself a lot of potential headache later

thanks again to both you and banjo for knocking some sense into me and keeping me from ruining my board. now off I go to hustle and get to bed at a reasonable hour. cheers

edit: also, boarding is a MAGNIFICENT cardio workout and if it could build mass as effectively, similarly I don't think I'd hit the gym at all.. but I digress
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

And if your too cheap to buy p-tex you can use six pack rings. I have done that before and it has held up perfectly over the years. Only drawback was it left a bunch of black residue on my iron.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
And if your too cheap to buy p-tex you can use six pack rings. I have done that before and it has held up perfectly over the years. Only drawback was it left a bunch of black residue on my iron.
Seriously?!?!? i may have to give this a whirl, hahaha!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post

LOL ptex candles are like a quarter and one stick will last for dozens of gouges.
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

as one weightlifter to another, i totally understand being way too tired as i've often completed a workout before going on a trip, though i've never done squats, deadlifts, and bench all in one workout (unless i'm PR-testing).

as poutanen said, it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. if you're taking your board out through the glades i would definitely spend the 30 minutes filling these in. if you're just fucking off on the trails and not doing anything particularly stupid the urgency goes down quite a bit.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote