I found a great deal on a Burton Doom 157 is it too small. (6 year n00b!) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
mixtnutz532

Default Board recomendations and sizing for a 6 year n00b!

[EDIT: (The original post is below) Well I did some more research. I had never looked at Atomic Snowboards before. I came across the Atomic Alibi. It seems like a great all around board that can be good for all-mountain and stellar in the park. I found a few 2008 models for about $250. I can get it in a 159 or a 166. I'm pretty sure the 159 would be the best choice however I can't find any info on the weight range each size was intended for by the manufacturer. Anyone have any info on this or know where I can find one any cheaper?]

First off here is all my background info. I have been snowboarding for 6 years (missed last season though). I got my first board for Christmas and have been riding it ever since. I never really learned anything about gear because I never really hung out with any experienced riders, unfortunately. I've enjoyed snowboarding with my current setup but only recently realized how horrid the setup is.

I ride a door. Its a Rossignol Nomad wide. Its stiff, its sluggish, its heavy. I have the cheapest bindings you could find on the market 6 years ago. And my boots are atleast 3 sizes too big and don't even have liners. I wish I was joking. I just sucked it up when I was learning because I remembered the torture the ski boots caused and just assumed it was supposed to hurt. I just got used to it over the years. I still love snowboarding even with that experience. Now that I know better and have actually put some research into it and made some friends who are experienced I want to start over. I never realized how little I really know about the sport until now.

Anyways, I am 6'1" tall. About 190 pounds. 23 years of age. I wear a 10.5 shoe so boots range from 10-11. I will be snowboarding in the northern Washington state and southern B.C., Canada areas this year (Mt. Baker, Stevens Pass, Whistler/Blackcomb). I have done only freeriding so far but this year I want to step it up and spend alot more time in the park. I've been looking for an intermediate freestyle board under $350. I found a Burton Doom 157 in a local shop. It is from last seasons stock so they chopped 40% off its original price so its now only about $285. Thats a steal from what I have seen. It seems like the best board I can get for that price. My only problem is that I'm worried it is too small. From most of the info I've found optimal size for me is 158-164ish. Is a 157 too small? Is this even the right board for me? Is it a good fit for me or will I be hating life on opening day?

I am also open to any other suggestions. Like I said, I need to keep it under $350 though.

Thats my story.

Last edited by mixtnutz532; 10-05-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you in Seattle?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
mixtnutz532

Pretty close. I live about 2 hours north of Seattle.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joetaff

check out the 2008 rome machine off of sierra snowboards.com thats a great wide freestyle board, also check out the midwide 2008 forum lander, it will handle about anything. at sierra right now all the 2008 boards and accessories are 50% off so you cant go wrong! I have bought 2 boards from them. they are a real class act.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

You don't need a wide board with 10.5 feet (assuming you'll get new boots and not the ones that are 3 sizes too big).
157 is a bit short for your weight...that'd be my only concern, but should be okay for park riding and such (although I may be mistaken).

I'm 170ish now and ride a 159. I was 180ish when I got the board, so I'm not sure how the 10lbs diff is going to affect my riding lol.
If you're going to be riding a lot of powder, you may wish a longer board for more float.

Just my 2 cents, but there are more experienced riders here that will give you advice.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So you're up in Bellingham? I'd swing into Mt. Baker snowboard shop see what they have left from last season might score a deal, if you're in Seattle swing down to Evo in Freemont and scope out their last years selection. You can probably find an Atomic Hatchet for like 150 to 200 there.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
mixtnutz532

Quote:
Originally Posted by romesaz View Post
You don't need a wide board with 10.5 feet (assuming you'll get new boots and not the ones that are 3 sizes too big).
157 is a bit short for your weight...that'd be my only concern, but should be okay for park riding and such (although I may be mistaken).

I'm 170ish now and ride a 159. I was 180ish when I got the board, so I'm not sure how the 10lbs diff is going to affect my riding lol.
If you're going to be riding a lot of powder, you may wish a longer board for more float.

Just my 2 cents, but there are more experienced riders here that will give you advice.
Yeah, I really want to avoid wide boards at all costs and I figure I'll be safe with the proper boots. I'm going to keep my big board for riding pow. It floated pretty good the few times I actually came across fresh powder. I want something that I can ride all day and spend more time in the park and not have any problems. I'm afraid 157 is to small. If only they made that board in a 159 or 160. Do those few centimeters actually make a big difference though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
So you're up in Bellingham? I'd swing into Mt. Baker snowboard shop see what they have left from last season might score a deal, if you're in Seattle swing down to Evo in Freemont and scope out their last years selection. You can probably find an Atomic Hatchet for like 150 to 200 there.
No I'm in Oak Harbor. I might head up to Bellingham next weekend to see what they have up there.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check the Capita Mid Life Lost 158, or Last year it was called the mid life artist comes in the same sizes though.

TJ Schneiders pro model.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ My god man when did you start writing thesis?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
mixtnutz532

Wow, thanks for the great info and detailed reply. I really appreciate the advice I will look into the brands and models you mentioned. I already spent a whole morning trying on boots at one shop. I will be hitting some other shops this weekend. I'm all about the deals so I'm going to see what the shops have as far as last seasons models.