"Cruising speed" Carvers unite ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
DaveESPI

Default "Cruising speed" Carvers unite ?

"Cruising speed"
Forgetthe parks,
Deep angle trench-digging carves is where its at.

Big hills with a lot of open area and few people, we can rip it and not worry.

Small crowded mountains, we have to avoid people too.

SPEED REGULATIONS are set up on a lot of mountains.

SAFETY is key.

So what is a "cruising speed" and where does your board "come alive" and respond and how hard do you you have to really press your self into it to cause it to perform?

I ride a narrow board and hardboots for some of my days.

I already am well aware of how "fast" I can rip a hill and have many witnesses and other riders who can attest to it, but this year I think I need to slow it down almost to a crawling creep "slow-motion" dramatic carve so people see the technique. I want to hold onto both edges as slow as possible and for as long as possible.
I'm looking for a board that will carve really well around 25 mph, and still be stable and turnable in a small area.

I also have softboot gear and while on the "ice-coast", I tend to do the same ride style- Low, tucked, and all about Edge to Edge transfers.

I love parks, but I'm getting old, and that stuff is great for people 1/2 my age (as I too was once a park rat) but I just can't handle the random "missed landings" like I used to.

So I ask where the other "carvers" are and people who are about stance and just pure deep and steep angles of attack are at and what they ride for such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just yesterday I made some of "the best turns ever" on a carveboard. It amazed me that I felt (even after 23 years of riding) that I learned some new moves.

On snow I ride everything with 30* 15* and maxed out forward lean. I ride freestyle boards that are over 161cm and carve edge-lock turns full time.

Centripetal and Centrifugal forces do all the work so carving to me is effortless action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rex.jpg (119.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg bs-ad-tweek.jpg (144.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg layback.jpg (99.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
crazydrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Blend View Post
Just yesterday I made some of "the best turns ever" on a carveboard. It amazed me that I felt (even after 23 years of riding) that I learned some new moves.

On snow I ride everything with 30* 15* and maxed out forward lean. I ride freestyle boards that are over 161cm and carve edge-lock turns full time.

Centripetal and Centrifugal forces do all the work so carving to me is effortless action.
that thing has to hurt like hell when u fall.

Kinda off topic, but anyone carved hard on a 09 NS SL-r? how'd it hold up
Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ I lay Euro Carves on that fucker daily. It takes about a good day of riding to get used to the Vario Power grip because it initiates different but I can put my body sideways on the hill and bring it out fine.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
AAA

Oopff, Based on GPS speed readings I've taken, I'd say 25 mph is a low-mid speed for carving through crowds. My 178 and 185 Protons with 14 and 16m sidecuts are tolerable at that speed, but they don't "come alive" until I add another 10 mph. Both are OK in crowds, too, as I weigh ~185-190 and can carve both very tight provided we have anything better than glare ice. I will say the length of the 185 doesn't make it nimble enough to slam on the brakes in emergencies as fast as I'd like for crowded days though. (When that thing digs an edge, it wants to GO!) And, neither are any fun to skid turns. So while I'm partial to both, if I "were" looking for something specifically for slower speeds and tight crowds, I'd look for something a touch shorter, for easier Holy Crap skidding/braking when required, and with a tighter, 9-12m sidecut.

Now beyond that, what's this with the speed regulations?! Joe Schmoe in a red jacket deciding to bark that you're carving too fast? Meanwhile, there's kids hucking themselves off of jumps, pipes, and rails the resort put there for the purpose and the out-of-control bombers leapfrog down the hill in a repetetive sequence of flailing and mimicing a human snowball.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote