2013 Never Summer Fibreglass PROBLEM - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default 2013 Never Summer Fibreglass PROBLEM

So we had heard all the hypes around here about the Never Summer snowboards, and decided to buy a Proto CT for me and an Infinity for my wife this year. It turns out that this is one of the WORST decisions we have ever made. We humiliated ourselves by getting these CRAPPY sticks.

The reason is, we will get a mysterious stinging pain in our fingers each time after handling the snowboards without gloves on. The itch lasts and is unbearable. It's just this week that I figured that it's because of those tiny fiberglass splinters. They are so little that it's hard to see, but they cause so much pain. We have never experienced this issue with any other snowboards, or anything else that is made of fiberglass ever. Totally unacceptable.

Guess what, we called the NS warranty department and explained the issue. It seems the only word the NS representative knows is "IMPOSSIBLE". He just kept saying that this was impossible to happen, and he went on and on explaining the process of manufacturing the boards, and how the fiberglass was glued inside that it's impossible for it to cause any problem. He said in his 17 years of industry experience he had never seen something like this from happening. He even tried to call his coworker from the production line to explain the thing to me. OK, cool, but who cares? It's happening right here now!! I'm not calling this number for a lecture of snowboard manufacture. I've had enough lectures to get my f**king engineering degree. The guy just can't offer any help, and he didn't even mention the Return Authorization until I cut him off and asked about it. And after I asked what we can do to solve this problem, his answer was, "run your fingers through the edges to find where the fiberglass is exposed, and use a rag to clean it". Seriously? This is what they mean by their "three year warranty"?

Excellent board and excellent customer service. I guess Never Summer have had enough kids hyping their products so they don't need to worry about the rest of us. But anyways, I've had enough, and this will be the last time I deal with them.

Last edited by Feb7th; 03-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lol. Troll? Think someone from EL sent him?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you picked an interesting place to complain about neversummer...

doesnt sound like much of an issue to me, always got to be careful when stroking you stick
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I actually noticed this on one of the NS boards I demoed with the carbonium topsheet. Near the tips where it had been hit by a skier/boarder in the line the material frayed and was exposed, pretty sure it was fiberglass. Didn't really think much of it at the time
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why aren't you dealing with your shop? On something like this, where a picture isn't going to show anything you should be using the LBS as the mfr rep they are to handle the issue.

I tend to agree with the NS guy though, it would be virtually impossiblefor fibers to be exposed with the only area they could possibly come through is the sidewall. Any exposed fibers on the topsheet would indicate a major mfr flaw that would likely render the boards unrideable. Additionally, assuming this is actually happening the odds of it being both boards is next to impossible.

I vote troll
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
you picked an interesting place to complain about neversummer...

doesnt sound like much of an issue to me, always got to be careful when stroking you stick
Yes, we bought the sticks because of this place, and that's why I've picked this place to complain.

And this doesn't sound like much of an issue to you probabbly because you have never experienced fiberglass itch in your life. Me neither until just recently.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
I tend to agree with the NS guy though, it would be virtually impossiblefor fibers to be exposed with the only area they could possibly come through is the sidewall. Any exposed fibers on the topsheet would indicate a major mfr flaw that would likely render the boards unrideable. Additionally, assuming this is actually happening the odds of it being both boards is next to impossible.
I supposed it was one board out of the two, but couldn't figure out which one is causing the problem though, as the fiberglass is too difficult to track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Lol. Troll? Think someone from EL sent him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
I vote troll
I'm not trolling. I'm disappointed. But you can stand behind your beliefs and type "troll" under every posts not singing praises for NS. To each his own.

Last edited by Feb7th; 03-08-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Interesting. I'm now over 20 days now on the Proto and haven't seen anything like this. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did the topsheet peel off or something? where is the fiberglass protruding from? I've experienced fiberglass burn before, feels like a million splinters just stuck in wherever it touches and it burns for a while.

Probably best to take it to the store you bought it from and have them run their fingers over it if they don't believe you.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstboy View Post
I've experienced fiberglass burn before, feels like a million splinters just stuck in wherever it touches and it burns for a while.
At least one member here knows what I'm talking about. I was totally pissed off by the rep's ignorant attitude, and his saying that "run your fingers through the edges to find out where".

The topsheets are intact. We couldn't find where the fiberglass is from. I could only suspect it's from the sidewalls. We couldn't take the sticks to the store. We bought them on-line because we didn't have any local dealers carrying our sizes.
Closed Thread