big rider.. buying my 1st board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
cb1417

Smile big rider.. buying my 1st board

I've been snowboarding for a few years now but since I've never lived close enough to a mountain it's only been on trips about twice a year. This puts me at a blue-black freerider and i hope to take on some of my first real blacks this christmas at Keystone CO.

I am 6'3'' 240 with a size 13 shoe.. the last board i rented was a 172 and it was huge.. but i was able to handle it(i am fairly athletic and pretty much just powered the board around with my lower body) but the more research i do, makes me think that I would be a lot happier with a more all-around board around the high 160's.. i am an oldschool skateboarder and my stance is straight with no angle.. i have never been inside a park so i am mainly a groomed run guy until i stray off the beaten path to dodge some trees and float on some powder.

the board is a christmas gift and i get to pick it out..my gf is only a school teacher so i'd rather not go above $900.00 i was planning on hitting up a local Keystone board shop but i'd like to go in with a few board ideas and atleast some numbers in my head. The last few seasons i've done riodoso, winterpark, i'm headed to keystone this christmas and probably breckenridge for spring break.

I've looked at the Burton Supermodel Snowboard 168
Eff.edge (cm) Nose/Tail (cm) Waist (cm) Sidecut (m)
132.50 29.86 25.60 8.55

Salomon Tempest Snowboard 166
130.00 31.60 26.80 8.7

Burton Malolo Snowboard 166
128.25 31.14/29.14 25.60 8.48

are these the numbers/style of board i should be looking at? as far as boots and bindings i want a strap in and a highback but i am clueless when it comes to name brands and quality...everyone says that they're the best

thank you for any help!

Last edited by cb1417; 09-30-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
sHnow

check out ROME boards, Burton boards are over priced and shit. go a 160, not worth going 166 unless you're riding pow everyday. you'll have heaps more control and progression on a smaller board.
regarding boots, everyones foot is different, go into a shop and try on a few different boots.
then go here Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free shipping to U.S. and get all your gear at a discount price

Last edited by sHnow; 09-30-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
rugbyrider

Im the exact same size as you, and i learned to ride on a Forum Raider 168 and i had a blast for the past five years. Although it was a heavy board it could def catch fire taking a line, i never rode a smaller board than that but a 168 should be alright man, although i couldnt tell you shit about those boards since i dont know anything about them. How did you like your 172? i just bought a yukon that size so this season will be the first on it.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
cb1417

the 172 was just the rental that they handed me... it was considered a "demo board" by the rental shop and honestly it wasnt bad. it was very wide and very long but i was able to bomb the mary jane run(winter park resort) so fast i was getting more windburn than sunburn. one complaint is when you are on the lift the board is so heavy i would put my back boot underneath the board to support it b/c its uncomfortable hanging from 1 boot for a long period of time.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
cb1417

lol nobody steal my boards, dibs on stuff i post! haha

here a few i found on that site, and thanks for the link man, that is a great resource and some awsome deals!

i really like
Burton Snowboard Burton Triumph Snowboard (164)
K2 Snowboard K2 Illusion Wide Snowboard (163w)
Ride Snowboard Ride Yukon Snowboard (164)

and i know burton can be expensive but if its half off then why the hell not go for it. probably will order one of these soon, what are your comments guys?

Last edited by cb1417; 09-30-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

I'm no Burton hater (just a disliker, I guess?) but the reason not to go for it is that you can probably find a better board for less than or equal to what you'll pay for a Burton, 50% off or not. Burton stuff isn't garbage like some people say, but it is all over priced, can break easily in some cases, and if you buy something from this year, you'll be stuck buying Burton board and bindings, since they make it so their boards will only work with their bindings and vice versa. People buying their first set of gear often end up going with Burton cause it's the big name everyone recognizes, but take a look into brands like Rome, Capita, Atomic, Ride, Lib Tech, etc.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't bother wasting your time at the stores in Keystone. They'll ass rape you with resort taxes. When you get to Silverthorne just take the first right by the Shamrock gas station and go past the Arby's you'll see a shop called Mountain Sports Outlet. Walk in go to the basement ask for either Kim or Scott tell them what you're looking for. If they aren't there my names Avran I'll help you out. We'll have the best deals in the county and I'll square you up or they will.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
cb1417

thanks for all your help guys! i just bought my board. i decided to get the ride yukon 164 and the ride delta movement bindings. all said and done (no tax OR shipping) the damage was only US$349.96

burtonavenger, i will be stopping by the day after christmas to pick up a pair of boots from you! if i look like shit or smell funny its b/c i've been in the car all night/day driving from central texas hahaha!

Last edited by cb1417; 10-01-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1417 View Post
thanks for all your help guys! i just bought my board. i decided to get the ride yukon 164 and the ride delta movement bindings. all said and done (no tax OR shipping) the damage was only US$349.96

burtonavenger, i will be stopping by the day after christmas to pick up a pair of boots from you! if i look like shit or smell funny its b/c i've been in the car all night/day driving from central texas hahaha!
just a FYI I'm a big guy with size 12.5 boots as well and run a 163 Forum Raider Wide. Great board for me and I love it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
redandblackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1417 View Post

what site did you use im a 16 yo buying my board thanks