Beginner/ Intermediate boarder with some questions. Help appreciated! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Taylor

Default Beginner/ Intermediate boarder with some questions. Help appreciated!

First off, I want to say thanks for checking out my thread. I know there are many other threads out there with other newbie's pleas for help.

I will be buying my first full snowboarding setup for my experience as a ski-bum this winter. I'm flying to Montana over winter break to stay with family, and snowboard at the local Big Mountain. Hopefully I'll be staying there for around 30 days of non-stop mountain fun.

Here's some info about me. I'm 18, weigh 145 lbs, 6'0", approx size 10 boot, and I ride regular. My budget is around $500, up to $600 if i really find something worth it. Last winter, I spent a week in Montana, and tried snowboarding for the first time. A local ski shop set me up with a rental snowboard and boots for a week, and I absolutely loved it. By the end of the week, i was able to cruise down all of the blue slopes, linking my turns fairly effectively. Then about a month later, i went to a local mountain (Snow Summit/ southern california) rented for the day and had the most fun yet. It was then I decided I have a new sport. I'm not exactly sure how I would rate myself skill wise. I think I'm in the beginner stage, and moving more into the intermediate stage. I still catch an edge on occasion, and my turns aren't the best by a long shot. But I can get down the mountain without any problems, and my speed is increasing as I become more sure of myself.

So that brings me to my main question: What the hell do I get? I've been researching for a while, and there are so many products out there I have no clue where to start. The most important thing for me to get would be the boots, then the snowboard, and finally the bindings. Any help on where to begin would be greatly appreciated.

I've been snowboarding enough to know what I don't like, and what really bugs me. One of the first things is that my boots would become loose, and trying to maintain a stable toeside edge was nearly impossible. I was tightening them about 3 times a day, and i really got sick of it. Thankfully the boots fit me well, so I was happy. However, the other time i went to the local slopes, the boots fit horribly. They were too loose all around, i couldnt tighten them enough, and both my hands and feet had blisters at the end of the day.

So here's some things I want:
- Alternative boot lacing system than laces. I do NOT want to be constantly adjusting laces, and blisters from pulling so hard to tighten will ruin my day. I've looked into the BOA system. My cousin has these, and i really like the idea. But from what i've read, many people don't like them for various reasons. Ideas??

- Something other than the standard ratchet bindings. Most of my family skis, so I hate being the one everyone's waiting for. Also, sitting down and ratcheting in my foot just sucks. I've looked at Flow bindings, as well as the K2 Cinch bindings. What are you ideas on these? And any others I should check out.

As for the snowboard.. I'm completely lost. I would describe my riding style, as carving down the groomers, some powder, just all around fun. I'm definitely not doing anything crazy like downhill speed, or any park stuff at all. I don't mind buying last years equipment, however I would like to buy a new board.

Holy shit.. i just typed alot. Thanks for reading through it, and i hope to work with you guys to select the best gear for me!

Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ride_Capita

First thing and foremost is that no one and I mean no one can tell you what boots to buy. What feels comfortable on my feet could feel awful for you. My best piece of advice is to go to your local ski shop and try on a variety of boots and buy what feels the best for you.

I definitely do not recommend flow bindings so if you really do not want classic bindings i would go with the k2 auto's.

For a snowboard I personally would recommend k2 podium, or maybe if your looking for a board that you could eventually take into the terrain park the k2 zepplin. There are other great options in boards like the Ride Control or Prophet.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

find boots that fit you well.

aim a few sizes down from your regular street shoe when buying brand new booties as the liners will pack out to become too big otherwise.

the Boa lacing system is a peach. i love it.

boots are the most vital bit of kit, as it is what connects you to everything else. do not be cheap and do not rush your decision nor be swayed by bling or what you friends say.

next find bindings that fit your boot. snug all the way around. adjust the living shit out of them if need be.

for the plank itself... go for a newb / intermediate. the only real concern for you, is the correct length of board and that will be entirely dependent on how much you weigh....

coolio
Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Taylor

Hey, thanks for the responses. I've done some looking, and I found this K2 podium snowboard and FLOW bindings - eBay (item 180293200241 end time Oct-04-08 21:14:09 PDT)
I'm not sure why it would be so cheap, and if its a good buy or not. Reguardless of the bindings, is 161 too big of a board for me to get? Whats the size board i'm looking for?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
F0rgiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Regardless of the bindings, is 161 too big of a board for me to get? Whats the size board i'm looking for?
Um...i'd say around 157ish is about a good length for you.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

I'm about your exact size (6', 145-155 depending on how much bacon I've had) and I picked up a 162 for my first season, since I was able to grab the board boots and bindings off craigslist for $100. Not trying to be an ass, but I'd say you're closer to beginner than intermediate, and in my own experience I found that having a longer board helped me learn. The extra stability will forgive a lot of mistakes.

If you can find a cheap set up to learn on (I know nothing about that particular board or binding, except that Flows inspire a strong love/hate reaction, never used em) and the board's a little longer than suggested, that might not be a bad thing. And if later on you want to ditch the longer board, you won't feel bad having gotten it cheap, or maybe use it as a pow stick. I'd say it looks fine for a first set up so that you can really figure out what you want and what you like. For $100, I'd say grab it.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Taylor

Hey guys. I'm about to buy a snowboard, and my decision has come down to either a K2 Select or Podium.

My initial decision was to get the Podium. It seems to be the better of the 2 boards, and only a few bucks more. However, i checked it out more, and it seems the Select is a better choice for beginners. I believe this is because it has a less aggressive sidecut, and is quite a bit more forgiving. So now i'm stuck. I want a board i can cruise down the groomers on, and a little bit of powder. And since i'm not that good, a more mellow board will help. But on the other hand, i also would like a nicer board I could grow into, since i expect this to last me for a few years at least.

Opinions??

Thanks guys,
Taylor
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Taylor

Bump! So maybe i should rephrase the question: how much of a difference does the sidecut make? is it just a minor thing that i shouldnt worry about, or is it a noticeable characteristic? Thanks

Taylor