Do you wear a helmet? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet when riding?
yes, all the time a brain is a terrible thing to waste 27 55.10%
only when im in the park 6 12.24%
Hell NO, never 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trumpits

Default Do you wear a helmet?

OK so a bit of back round, I haven't rode for about 9 years. I rode hard for about 3 seasons in high school and then life got in the way. I am getting back into it with my wife who has never snowboarded and my 12 year old nephew who is also a beginner.

I told the youngster that he must wear a helmet on the hill because he is clumsy as hell just walking around, and is going to end up eating a lot of snow. I also suggested to my wife that she use one so she doesn't get injured, she doesn't think it will look cool. She made me agree to wear one to set a good example for the youngster.

I know in the park they require helmets all the time, but how many people wear them when they are free riding?

We will look like a pack of mushrooms riding down the hill, but thats better than picking up pieces of a skull i guess.

Last edited by Trumpits; 09-30-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
crazydrummer

I'm in high school and I wear one most of the time when i go. Only real reason is that my parents want me to and hey, they're paying the bill for the trip. When i go with my friends i don't tho. However i've taken some pretty nasty falls in which i was glad i was wearing one
Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

a helmut? nope.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trumpits

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
a helmut? nope.
Point taken and corrected
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
N~R~G

yeah, all i could picture was some kind of furry thing with a tail wrapped around someone's head.

a mut from hell, a helmut...wtf...idk
Old 09-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Only when riding park.

Cruising around, I'm fine with a beanie.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
N~R~G

to answer the question though...

i wear one the occassional times i ride trees or go into the park, but not so much on the hill. i make my daughter wear one though, but only because she goes balls out with not much thought.

my friend was racing down the hill once, caught an edge & tumbled the rest of the way. he broke some ribs & got a concussion...with his helmut on, so even hill riding isn't all that safe. anything can happen really...especially if skiers are on the loose.

you know what they say...better safe than sorry.

and tell your wife if she's worried about not looking cool because she's wearing a helmut to maybe try a helmet & see if she looks any better...as she falls on her ass.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
cb1417

i stay out of the park and for the most part right side up :P
never worn a helmet..
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wear one every time I go ride. If I am hitting the park (which I never do anymore) it's a no brainer. Cruising around on the slopes, there's plenty of idiots who blindside people. Generally I am faster and not in the line of fire, but if you are stopped you never know. In the trees, not only is it a good idea, but you don't have to worry about losing your beanie or goggles. Hell, with a helmet you can flat out ride trees more aggressively, which does tend to make it a bit more dangerous. In the backcountry, I use one because you just never know what is going to be under the snow should you take a tumble. There are a lot more variables out there and help is a long way off should you need it.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

All the time...

I didn't in my first season, and when I was learning to ride park, I actually face-planted and got a concussion... the worst part was that it wasn't even on a feature or a jump, I was on my way into the park, riding casually (ie. not on full alert like when you're tryina stomp a trick) and someone/thing caught me off guard...

ever since I wear it all the time... can't imagine boarding w/o one now... plus i never really just *ride*... im always tryina learna new butter, or some hit, or jump or something... i never just cruise down a trail.

Also, I'm preeeetty sure no matter what I'm wearing, I won't look cool, so I might as well be safe.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote