First Snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sp0r3

Default First Snowboard

Hi. I'm a beginner looking for my first snowboard gear. I'm 5'10", weigh 160lb, and wear size 10.5-11. I'm interested in a freeriding snowboard. After a quick visit in my local shop, I've come up with the following equipment...

Ride Fleetwood - 158
Rome Arsenal - L
32 Lock BOA - 11

I'm just wondering if this setup would be good for me. If there is a better alternative to this setup, would you please recommend me some other gears? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
cb1417

from my post count i guess you can take my advice with a grain of salt but i've been doing hella research for the last few days and your setup seems pretty solid to me. im also going with a ride board, however mine will be a little bit bigger b/c im 6'3'' 240lbs

my advice, which i am basing off of my own faults.. i like to buy something b/c i think it would be cool to use it for this and that.. when sometimes i just have to stop myself and be realistic. so really think about what kind of riding you are going to do freestyle/freeride etc. and get the best gear to fit that style. best of luck man
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
F0rgiven

the board and bindings are a pretty good setup for what you are looking to do. A fleetwood is pretty wide though. With an 11 you could get away with riding a 25 width board so i'd consider that for better maneuverability. I would also consider Ride SPIs or Burton Cartels in terms of bindings.

In regards to the 32 boas, have you tried them on yet? Boas seem to be real picky on their wearers. A lot of times they cause unwanted pressure points. Also i'm hoping you tried on a lot of different boots to see which fits you best. I myself went through a ton already looking for a new boot for this season. I even bought a pair and took them home thinking it was great until i put them on and walked around the house for a good while and my feet started cramping up. =/ So i had to take them back and go through the process all over again and finally found the pair that are most comfortable to me. Boots are important dude. Don't skimp out.

anyway. that's my 2 cents.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sp0r3

I've tried using 155 and 160 rental boards with ~25 width and the results weren't that great. Even with the 160, my boards seems to be too narrow for my boots. I chose Fleetwood because of the wider waist in hopes that my boots won't drag in the snow. But if I decide to choose for a non-wide board, do I need to use extreme angles on my binding?

I've used rental BOA boots before and they weren't that comfortable. Also, 32 Lock wasn't my first choice - I was thinking about the 32 Lashed intially. But after a few test fits with different boots, I find the Lock BOA a very comfortable. They snuggle my feet nicely and firmly without the extra stress. The shop would also heat mold the boots for extra comfort. There weren't much choices in the shop I went because they were preparing for new 2009 inventories. I might go shop around a few more shops and see what they offer before I put my money down.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
F0rgiven

if they feel comfortable to you, then by all means, bro. 32 Lashed are pretty dope too.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
aspencer

Hi people,

I could do with the same kind of advice please.

I'm 6' 2", weight 185 pounds and have size 9 shoes.

I had a look at the Burton Custom X 07/08 model and really like the look of it, but I don't really know if it will be suitable for a beginner.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sp0r3

I was just wondering... I wear a size 10.5-11 shoes, but I'm getting size 11 boots (and people say boots sizes are normally smaller than shoe size). Though the size 11 boots I've tried were brand new, they were pretty comfortable for me. Since the boot will get slightly bigger after the break-in period, would it be better off getting at least 0.5 size smaller than what I'm getting. If I get something smaller, I don't think I would need to get a wide board as F0rgiven suggested. If so, what are my options for a beginner board?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
cb1417

the general consensus on most of the shopping tutorials say that your boots should be snug when they are brand new. they will loosen up after a few runs down the hill. so i guess, you want some boots that are as snug as possible without hurting or having any awkward pressure points.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
F0rgiven

You also want your toes to just graze the front of the boot. It should not be pressing up against it. When you bend your knees into an athletic stance, your toes should pull away from the front of the boot slightly. And like cb said, it should be snug without any pressure points and most importantly without a lack of blood circulation. If your feet start to feel kinda numb and tingly, the boot is not for you. Also be sure to walk around the store in them for a decent amount of time. This will allow your feet to settle into the boot to really see how it fits, especially if it cuts off circulation or cramps your feet up.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sp0r3

Yeah, I'm going to test some boots again next week to see if 10.5 or 11 fits me better. Also, a friend of mine recommends me to get a Burton Custom Wide. Would the Custom be any better than the Ride Fleetwood?