Buying my first used setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying my first used setup

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site I think this is the right category..
I've posted this question on some sites but got next to nothing in replies.
Thought I'd try my luck here!

I'm 5'2, 115lbs and boot size 4
I'm hoping this board will last me until something breaks.
I don't really mind using youth gear since it's cheaper and it fits.
I have a pair of K2 Kat BOA boots and K2 Mini Turbo bindings (haven't opened).

This is the board I'm interested in.
Woman's K2 Snowboard (138 cm) with Rome Bindings (sm) - City of Toronto Buy & Sell Goods - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.
K2 Skyla 2011 (138cm)
Rome Strut Bindings (sm)
Seller is willing to sell it for $180

Does it look like it's in good condition? Is it suitable for my level?
The seller won't let me purchase just the board so should I use the Rome bindings or the K2 Youth ones I already bought? (I can still refund them). According to the sizing chart, the Rome (S/M) fits 4-9, would I be better off using the K2 Youth ones since they fit 2-5 (tighter fit) or would the youth bindings be too flimsy? There's only one strap.

I also found another snowboard that's only $70 and wanted to ask if this would be a better choice. It doesn't come with bindings so I could use the ones I already have.
K2 Spire - 139 - Great Conditon - Perfect Beginner Snowboard ! - Mississauga / Peel Region Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.
It's a K2 Spire 139 (looks a bit old though) - not sure if it's a men's board

or
Roxy inspire 134 cm girls snowboard AND bindings set - City of Toronto Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.
Roxy Inspire 134
Roxy Bindings (s)
$175
But 134 seems a bit short.

I'd really appreciate any advice any of you have since I don't know anything about snowboards! (Sorry for the long post!)

Last edited by bulbasaur; 03-12-2013 at 12:38 AM.
bulbasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Hard to tell from the pics, but the first board (the Skyla with Romes) looks to be in excellent shape. It's also the right size for you for a beginner board. The second one might be fine, but the third one is too short.

I'd try to talk them down on the first one, and return the K2 bindings you already bought.

Are you still growing? The Rome bindings will last a lot longer if they'll fit size 4-8...

My GF had a K2 Luna for her first board and loved it... It lasted 3 seasons of rocky mountain boarding! Still in great shape but she decided to move on this year.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Hard to tell from the pics, but the first board (the Skyla with Romes) looks to be in excellent shape. It's also the right size for you for a beginner board. The second one might be fine, but the third one is too short.

I'd try to talk them down on the first one, and return the K2 bindings you already bought.

Are you still growing? The Rome bindings will last a lot longer if they'll fit size 4-8...

My GF had a K2 Luna for her first board and loved it... It lasted 3 seasons of rocky mountain boarding! Still in great shape but she decided to move on this year.
Thanks for the reply!

I think I'm done growing (sadly). I'm 19.

The seller won't go lower than $180 sadly that's why I was hoping the 134 might fit since I could probably talk down that too $140. Last week I used a rental that was 135cm it was okay I liked how it was so light. But I guess for the long run I should have a longer board?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

Geez, you are peanut sized.
First one looks nice, the second one looks like it should do; take the second option and you will have more money for lift tickets. In my humble opinion, in the beginning, it's all about space getting time on the hill.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaur View Post
I think I'm done growing (sadly). I'm 19.

The seller won't go lower than $180 sadly that's why I was hoping the 134 might fit since I could probably talk down that too $140. Last week I used a rental that was 135cm it was okay I liked how it was so light. But I guess for the long run I should have a longer board?
$180 isn't a bad deal if it's all in good shape. From the pics it looks pretty good to me, also since it was recently tuned there's money you don't have to spend right away.

Yeah you don't want to go too short on the board. For your size a 139 or so is pretty much ideal. Of course a 134 is rideable and would actually be easy to learn on, but you'd probably start to outgrow/overpower it sooner than later.

I stopped growing at about 13... Still waiting for a growth spurt!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Geez, you are peanut sized.
First one looks nice, the second one looks like it should do; take the second option and you will have more money for lift tickets. In my humble opinion, in the beginning, it's all about space getting time on the hill.
Haha, the guy at rentals was laughing at my small boots! I like how the second one is cheaper. It's $70 + $50(my bindings) = $120 + binding mounting fee. It'll probably end up being around $40 cheaper. But the seller hasn't maintained it so I'm not sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
$180 isn't a bad deal if it's all in good shape. From the pics it looks pretty good to me, also since it was recently tuned there's money you don't have to spend right away.

Yeah you don't want to go too short on the board. For your size a 139 or so is pretty much ideal. Of course a 134 is rideable and would actually be easy to learn on, but you'd probably start to outgrow/overpower it sooner than later.

I stopped growing at about 13... Still waiting for a growth spurt!
I was hoping for a good beginner set up for around $150 haha. The stance looks a bit wide though but since I don't know my stance I guess I'll get used to it since I don't want to spend the extra money remounting it. By the way, a newbie question here. I saw videos on waxing but they were all on the base. Is there any maintenance required for the top part?

I guess I'll go with the K2 skyla for now. Any tips on what I should check for when I meet up with the buyer?

I've been waiting for a growth spurt since 12 too.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Just examine the board, check for deeper gouges in the base dings on the edges or bad chips on the top sheet bend it to make sure there's no creaking or cracking sounds or soft spots. Check to see if you can see the camber lay it the board flat or side down the edge.

Don't worry about the mounting of your bindings or your stance, we can help you figure that out. As for waxing and tuning your board save your money we can help you do that to. There are lots of the YouTube videos for waxing, you can use any old iron and wax.

One thing to note, with your small feet take off your shoes and stand on the board where you normally stand on the board and see where your toe and heel lie with wise. Hopefully your toes and heel will come fairly close to the edge if it's more than I don't know and a half inch on both the heel and the and the toes then that board is probably too wide.

There's nothing to do on the top sheet for maintenance except some people put rain X on so that snow won't stick.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaur View Post
I was hoping for a good beginner set up for around $150 haha. The stance looks a bit wide though but since I don't know my stance I guess I'll get used to it since I don't want to spend the extra money remounting it. By the way, a newbie question here. I saw videos on waxing but they were all on the base. Is there any maintenance required for the top part?

I guess I'll go with the K2 skyla for now. Any tips on what I should check for when I meet up with the buyer?
No maintenance on top except for checking the screw tightness and bindings parts every once in a while. You can wash the top with dish soap and warm water if you want but it's not necessary.

Honestly I'd suggest learning to mount your own bindings. If you pay a shop to do it, they'll set you up with their standard beginner stance which may or may not be right for you. Chances are you'll end up changing it after 5-10 days anyway. Unless you're absolutely cranking down the screws it's pretty hard to damage anything by trying.

I'd just start with a basic stance (about 20" wide measured from centre to centre of each base plate, and a learning stance of either 0 degrees on the back foot and 18 on the front, or -6 back 15 or so on the front). Other than those two measurements, the next adjustment is to strap your boot into the bindings and make sure the overhang is about equal on your toe and heel side. Chances are you'll have no problem with the bindings mounted in the centre since you have smaller feet, although you may need to bring the boots forward to centre them over the board. Last but not least adjust the straps so they're all centred over your boots (toes and ankles). Have you got any boarder buddies that could help you the first time? It's really easy once you've adjusted them once or twice.

For stuff to look for when you meet the buyer:

Board - look at condition of the base, small gouges are fine and indicate riding over a small rock or rail, larger gouges are okay too as long as they were fixed properly. If it looks like a t-rex had the board in his mouth for a while I wouldn't buy it. Edges, look at the edge and make sure it's reasonably sharp. If it was recently tuned this shouldn't be an issue. Dull edges will make learning very tough. Check the topsheet and edges for any glaring damage. Chips in the topsheet are no big deal, and edge chips are fine too, but edge damage is another thing.

Here's an edge chip, no big deal but worth haggling on the price.

Here's edge damage. Avoid this!!!

Bindings - check all the ratchets to make sure they do up easily and don't slip when you apply tension. Make sure the releases work easily. Check condition of the straps to make sure they're not too frayed/falling apart. Check all over the baseplate and highback for any obvious cracks in the plastic. Don't be afraid to grab the bindings and flex them around and look for cracks. Try wiggling the bindings to make sure they were installed tight enough. If they were rode with loose screws there's a small possibility that an insert has been stripped.

Good luck!

Last edited by poutanen; 03-12-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: Buying my first used setup

Quote:
No maintenance on top except for checking the screw tightness and bindings parts every once in a while. You can wash the top with dish soap and warm water if you want but it's not necessary.

Honestly I'd suggest learning to mount your own bindings. If you pay a shop to do it, they'll set you up with their standard beginner stance which may or may not be right for you. Chances are you'll end up changing it after 5-10 days anyway. Unless you're absolutely cranking down the screws it's pretty hard to damage anything by trying.

I'd just start with a basic stance (about 20" wide measured from centre to centre of each base plate, and a learning stance of either 0 degrees on the back foot and 18 on the front, or -6 back 15 or so on the front). Other than those two measurements, the next adjustment is to strap your boot into the bindings and make sure the overhang is about equal on your toe and heel side. Chances are you'll have no problem with the bindings mounted in the centre, since you have smaller feet, although you may need to bring the boots forward to centre them over the board. Last but not least adjust the straps so they're all centred over your boots (toes and ankles). Have you got any boarder buddies that could help you the first time? It's really easy once you've adjusted them once or twice.

For stuff to look for when you meet the buyer:

Board - look at condition of the base, small gouges are fine and indicate riding over a small rock or rail, larger gouges are over too as long as they were fixed properly. If it looks like a t-rex had the board in his mouth for a while I wouldn't buy it. Edges, look at the edge and make sure it's reasonably sharp. If it was recently tuned this shouldn't be an issue. Dull edges will make learning very tough. Check the topsheet and edges for any glaring damage. Chips in the topsheet are no big deal, and edge chips are fine too, but edge damage is another thing.

Here's an edge chip, no big deal but worth haggling on the price.

Here's edge damage. Avoid this!!!

Bindings - check all the ratchets to make sure they do up easily and don't slip when you apply tension. Make sure the releases work easily. Check condition of the straps to make sure they're not too frayed/falling apart. Check all over the baseplate and highback for any obvious cracks in the plastic. Don't be afraid to grab the bindings and flex them around and look for cracks. Try wiggling the bindings to make sure they were installed tight enough. If they were rode with loose screws there's a small possibility that an insert has been stripped.

Good luck!
Great info here, a sticky for used market buyers guide maybe? I'm sure lots of new viewers in the market for some used gear will benefit from...
ItchEtrigR is online now   Reply With Quote