Reverse Camber??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reverse Camber???

I was reading an article on reverse camber boards and the advantages of this new technology. I personaly think its stupid..The whole purpose behind this technology is that it allows the boards edges to rise up off of the snow reducing the chance of catching an edge. A favorite among park riders also which will allow you to pop,press and catch less edges on rails and boxes.But heres my thing with all this new tech. Is it really worth it? In many ways isnt that a form of cheating? Just like the park rat who completely rounds off his edges to avoid catching any edges. Also I remember when your board lost its camber it was considered a bad thing and time to get a new board. Guess nowadays its a good thing. Whats your take?
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
kylekilljoy

Rounding your edges isnt cheating!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

In that sense, we're all cheating by using snowboards instead of snowshoes, or just our bare feet. Snow/skate/surf/whatever-boards are always undergoing the odd little tweaks that allow people to do more and better tricks. The other day I saw a 7 year old learning to do varial kickflips on a skateboard, whereas 30 years ago people were cheering like crazy watching Rodney Mullen pull off a sketchy 8" high ground ollie.

If people are willing to buy an entire set up just to perform better in the park, then they should, whatever makes em happy. My only gripe would be people referring to a new shape as 'technology'. You just shaped the board differently, wake me up when you put in lasers.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the 'technology' is availible to everyone though... so no to it be cheating
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz167 View Post
I was reading an article on reverse camber boards and the advantages of this new technology. I personaly think its stupid..The whole purpose behind this technology is that it allows the boards edges to rise up off of the snow reducing the chance of catching an edge. A favorite among park riders also which will allow you to pop,press and catch less edges on rails and boxes.But heres my thing with all this new tech. Is it really worth it? In many ways isnt that a form of cheating? Just like the park rat who completely rounds off his edges to avoid catching any edges. Also I remember when your board lost its camber it was considered a bad thing and time to get a new board. Guess nowadays its a good thing. Whats your take?
Well by that sentiment that would mean that Chairlifts are cheating since we could just hike.

I didn't realize that snowboarding was something you could cheat at. If thats the case I guess gear never would have evolved in the first place.

Reverse camber is here to stay, its been here for the last few years. There's so many variations of it I could fry your brain going over how they all ride, what performs better here or there, and who is innovating and who is copying.

I've been riding Never summers R.C tech since mid February. It changes how you're able to do things as a rider and makes you better prepared for certain situations. Not all rockers make you less likely to catch an edge.

If you can get rid of the small minded mentality I suggest going out and trying one for yourself.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringheelJack View Post
In that sense, we're all cheating by using snowboards instead of snowshoes, or just our bare feet.
I'm totally going to champion barefoot snowboarding. Who is with me?!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm down! Are pants optional?
Airbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

i've stood in the snow barefoot, and it sucks balls- you only last for maybe a minute before you HAVE to go back inside. anyways i've been rocking reverse camber for a bit and there is a significant trade off in the carving department, so all i did was find a good balance. choose whatever setup you like/are compfortable with basically
X1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know where you're coming from.... Has anyone been in a hot tub and then decided to dive into the snow? Its so much fun haha. You don't last long but then the hot tub is extra warm
Airbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

wow i feel like my balls would act like scared turtles if i just dove into the snow after being in a hot tub
X1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote