2013 Banana Magic or Black Snowboard of Death? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Banana Magic or Black Snowboard of Death?

Narrowed it down to these two boards, which one fits me better?

I mostly ride in the North East but I do go out West ever few years.
Blue Mountain PA, Mountain Creek NJ, Hunter NY, Stowe VT are the mountains I ride the most.

I'll ride the whole mountain but at the smaller resorts I stay in the park the whole day hitting only jumps. I'm not into rails or boxes much anymore.
Only about 15% of my riding is switch, mostly when I'm messing around on smaller jumps or cruising a little slower waiting for my wife to catch up.

Currently on a 2010 Skate Banana 156w.
(I probably should have bought a reg 156 but it was all the shop had at the time.) It's a really fun board but I think it's more for goofing around on then owning the mountain. Problem with the board is in my opinion it has no pop and can't hold a turn when going fast, it feels like I'm just power sliding around the mountain. The extruded base gets painfully slow when the snow warms up.

I could go back to my old Rome Anthem deck which rode pretty good but I've grown to like the catch free riding of a reverse camber board. SO I was thinking about going to a hybrid camber board.

Any feedback is well appreciated.

Thanks,
fake_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't know much about the Banana Magic, but the 2013 BSOD I tried out late last season was pretty fun.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm thinking about finding a leftover Banana Magic myself....

though I don't go to Creek... as I loathe that place (and can see some of South peak trails from my house)....
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
I don't know much about the Banana Magic, but the 2013 BSOD I tried out late last season was pretty fun.
Hey man, Yeah thanks, I read your review last night. I was a little worried about what you and a few others said about it stability in chop and tracks, other then that it sounded pretty good.

Last edited by fake_usa; 03-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanscrazydaisy View Post
I'm thinking about finding a leftover Banana Magic myself....

though I don't go to Creek... as I loathe that place (and can see some of South peak trails from my house)....
Yeah I can find any local shops that have it in stock. Ill like to buy local and also see it in person first.

Yeah creek does suck 90% of the time but the tickets are cheap if you get a triple play card.
They setup a decent park but they are the absolute worst at taking care of the setups and landings.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake_usa View Post
Narrowed it down to these two boards, which one fits me better?

I mostly ride in the North East but I do go out West ever few years.
Blue Mountain PA, Mountain Creek NJ, Hunter NY, Stowe VT are the mountains I ride the most.

I'll ride the whole mountain but at the smaller resorts I stay in the park the whole day hitting only jumps. I'm not into rails or boxes much anymore.
Only about 15% of my riding is switch, mostly when I'm messing around on smaller jumps or cruising a little slower waiting for my wife to catch up.

Currently on a 2010 Skate Banana 156w.
(I probably should have bought a reg 156 but it was all the shop had at the time.) It's a really fun board but I think it's more for goofing around on then owning the mountain. Problem with the board is in my opinion it has no pop and can't hold a turn when going fast, it feels like I'm just power sliding around the mountain. The extruded base gets painfully slow when the snow warms up.

I could go back to my old Rome Anthem deck which rode pretty good but I've grown to like the catch free riding of a reverse camber board. SO I was thinking about going to a hybrid camber board.

Any feedback is well appreciated.

Thanks,
For the riding you describe, the BSOD hands down. Magic is essentially a powder twin - not what you are looking for at all.

It also sounds like you need to put in a few more hours/days on the Skate Banana, because with proper technique it easily holds a turn at almost any speed. However, being a wide might have something to do with your problem - you will need to use really good technique.

Oh, and unless it is this year's model, the Skate Banana has a sintered base (and even this year's model has a base that is plenty fast).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
For the riding you describe, the BSOD hands down. Magic is essentially a powder twin - not what you are looking for at all.

It also sounds like you need to put in a few more hours/days on the Skate Banana, because with proper technique it easily holds a turn at almost any speed. However, being a wide might have something to do with your problem - you will need to use really good technique.

Oh, and unless it is this year's model, the Skate Banana has a sintered base (and even this year's model has a base that is plenty fast).
Thanks for the recommendation! You're right about the 2010 SB being a sintered base, I looked at the sticker last night. Man I don't know what is up with it though it's so slow, and in spring conditions forget it.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure I agree with the "powder twin" comment on the banana magic. It carves very well and pops from edge to edge unlike anything else I've ridden. I've ridden custom, custom X's, and I currently have a Rome Anthem as well.

There's a review out there on youtube with it compared to the skate and attack banana's, got lots of good info, give that a view.
SnowBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBeer View Post
Not sure I agree with the "powder twin" comment on the banana magic. It carves very well and pops from edge to edge unlike anything else I've ridden. I've ridden custom, custom X's, and I currently have a Rome Anthem as well.

There's a review out there on youtube with it compared to the skate and attack banana's, got lots of good info, give that a view.
Yeah I watched that video, it made me a little confused, two of the guys said out of the three boards the Skate Banana had the most pop. ???
My '10 SB has no pop, maybe they changed since then?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Both are going to perform quite similarly but with a very different feel...both are marketed as an aggressive all mountain. The different feel will be the difference btw camber in the middle, or rocker in the middle...but it looks like you have done your research!

A "cons only" list usually sways me with these things, so here you go!

LTBM: biobeans topsheet(lots of complaints on here about it!), true twin (no set back on deep days).
BSOD: directional sidecut....thats it?

Personally whatever poor traits you can live with easiest, get that one. Although I have never heard anyone complain about the BSOD....and I have about the BM.

While they are both quite similar (magne, sintered, 6-7 flex, basalt, etc) I would go with the BSOD...set back or twin options, camber underfoot to really get alot of pop out of the board.

Good luck! put up a review either way!!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote