choices, choices - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
kyouness

Default choices, choices

hey guys. my old thread got no replies so here's another go at it.

i've gone snowboarding twice and loved it so i'm piecing together some gear for this season. i'm definitely a beginner and i've yet to learn how to turn toeside properly without falling over. that being said, i need a board i can progress with from the bunny slopes all the way to starting out in the park this season (i'll have a season pass at snow summit, ca so progression should be fairly quick this season). i'm 5'7" and 125-130lb depending on how much i eat at any given week. i'm 24 so there wont be any more growing. my boots are size 10 (US).

now i've narrowed it down to a few boards.

09 rome agent 146
08 atomic hatchet 145
09 capita stairmaster 144 (or 148)
09 neversummer evo-r 148

which do you guys think will be the easiest to progress on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouness View Post
hey guys. my old thread got no replies so here's another go at it.

i've gone snowboarding twice and loved it so i'm piecing together some gear for this season. i'm definitely a beginner and i've yet to learn how to turn toeside properly without falling over. that being said, i need a board i can progress with from the bunny slopes all the way to starting out in the park this season (i'll have a season pass at snow summit, ca so progression should be fairly quick this season). i'm 5'7" and 125-130lb depending on how much i eat at any given week. i'm 24 so there wont be any more growing. my boots are size 10 (US).

now i've narrowed it down to a few boards.

09 rome agent 146
08 atomic hatchet 145
09 capita stairmaster 144 (or 148)
09 neversummer evo-r 148

which do you guys think will be the easiest to progress on?
Wow those seem like they would be to short for you....
Old 10-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Whats up with the mini ride lengths there buddy?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
kyouness

haha i dunno. i was looking at some snowboard size calculator thing and all the boards it suggested were like 142-148.

so should i be looking in the 152 range?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
kylebaz

i have a 152 lib tech skate banana and im 5'11 145. a 150-152 would be perfect for you depeding on what u want to do snowboarding. if your gonna be in the park get a 150-152 but if ur gonna be riding pow go bigger.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Snowboard size calculators are retarded. Definitely bump up to around a 152ish.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
bravogrl28

You could do what I'm doing...since I'm still new myself & had trouble trying toeside last season too, I'm just keeping my starter board I got last season (a cheap big 5 lamar, though I think I need to replace the bindings) and then this season just plan on demo'ing a bunch of boards to figure out what I like the best... and then once I figure that out, wait until the end of the season when they're all on sale again. My roommate says it's more with how my feet are positioned anyway than my board; my board itself is actually not that bad.

Just a thought if $ is a concern... it's also fun to try out the latest boards & get a feel in the real snow for how things work before taking a risk & shelling out a ton of money.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
kyouness

cool, thanks for the advice. i tried my friend's 152 last year and it was a little on the stiff and heavy side, but now that i think about it, it may have just been his setup (his gear is all 2003 model).

are reverse camber or standard camber boards easier to learn on?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

kyouness, FYI the snow summit pass won't work at bear mountain unless you got the double park pass, which is like $699. I'd say move up to 150-152 as well. Also the length of the board does not dictate how stiff/soft it is. I think out of all your options the Capita Stairmaster is the cheapest, right? I would go with that. It's a good freestyle board that would hold well on Big Bear's gromed slopes. The Agent has always been a solid board too. Never Summer is too baller for me though...haha.

Good luck, see you around Bear... but I got a pass myself at Mt. High (cheaper, can alternate between east and west side).
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
kyouness

there's a deal on the website for a midweek dual mountain season pass for $299 until dec. 7th which is the one my friends and i are jumping on. i think it's the anytime with no blackout dates that's $699. i was gonna get a mt. high pass but they have that 4 person deal during nights which totals to about $18 per person.

and yeah, i was looking at a stairmaster at blauer's in big bear the other day and it seemed pretty solid. i just wanted to weigh my options but the price is just unbeatable.

haha if you see a guy in a lime green jacket with a bright orange bearface beanie falling all over the place, that would be me.