Seeking advice on all mountain board for switch rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seeking advice on all mountain board for switch rider

I'm 6'3", 190lb with US size 12.5 Burton boots - looking to pick up a deal on an end of year all mountain board.

I'm a bit confused by all the new boards out there, especially as I like riding switch a lot unless I am in big bumps or thick trees. Looking at the websites I have gravitated toward true twin tips. One board that sticks out is the Never Summer Proto CTX 160. Any limitations as an all mountain board? Any others I should try to demo? Lib? Burton? Are there advantages to the slightly setback/directional board that I should consider before placing major emphasis on riding switch and twin tips for an all mountain board?

My old board is a 2006 Burton Baron 167 which likely causes some of my confusion. Not sure if it was an oversized board for me in the first place or if board tech has changed such that you can have the same amount of contact with a shorter board now days. Or if I am comparing apples to oranges and a Baron is more like a Heritage X 166 now days. One guy at a board shop told me I would not like riding a 160 and another told me I would love it so that adds to it as well. I really need a demo day before the season is over but wanted any advice I could get before I demo and buy.

Ideally the board would be truely all mountain - good in the steap bowls like Full Curl, good in the power in the trees, fun in the park, cranking down groomers regular and switch enjoying ollie 180s and hopefully not too slow on runouts getting back to the lift.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Steve
sshallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

can't go wrong with the Proto. I've just about beat mine to death and will be replacing it when it dies. I can't imagine not having one as my goto board for everything (even deep pow). Maybe if I had the chance to try all the other decks out there, but the Proto is just fucken rad.

Then again I hated TBT and alot of people like it, so different strokes.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Seeking advice on all mountain board for switch rider

I ride a Proto CTX 160. I'm 6'1", 220 lbs with size 12 Burton boots. I take it anywhere from park, trees to groomers at 50 mph. Haven't had a chance to ride pow though...

The board have a pretty long effective edge. About that of a typical 164-165. Probably what gives it good stability.

I would recommand it for sure !
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote