Nitro Team Gullwing W vs. NS Legacy vs NS Heritage X - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post

Waist width is irrelevant, what matter is width at the inserts/binding positions.

Says the guy with tiny feet.

What board company list the width at the insert/binding positions? I'll answer for you, none.

To say waist width is irrelevant is wrong. It is something that every guy with big feet looks at, that is a fact (I know I have size 13's). Combine waist width with tip/tail width and side cut its not exact but it will give you a good idea about the width of the overall board.

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 03-18-2013 at 10:19 AM.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Says the guy with tiny feet.

What board company list the width at the insert/binding positions? I'll answer for you, none.

To say waist width is irrelevant is wrong. It is something that every guy with big feet looks at, that is a fact (I know I have size 13's). Combine waist width with tip/tail width and side cut its not exact but it will give you a good idea about the width of the overall board.
Not clear why you think that I have 'tiny feet' - or, in fact, what my (or your) foot size has to do with this.

You are wrong to suggest that "that every guy with big feet looks at" waist width. If they have sense, they consider width at the inserts.

The reason that manufacturers do not list width at the inserts is simply (and obviously) that the width varies along the board/for the different inserts, so that there is no single number.
The approach of taking the average of waist width and of nose/tail width to get a rough estimate for width at the inserts is fine - and is something that I have mentioned on several times before.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Not clear why you think that I have 'tiny feet' - or, in fact, what my (or your) foot size has to do with this.

You are wrong to suggest that "that every guy with big feet looks at" waist width. If they have sense, they consider width at the inserts.

The reason that manufacturers do not list width at the inserts is simply (and obviously) that the width varies along the board/for the different inserts, so that there is no single number.
The approach of taking the average of waist width and of nose/tail width to get a rough estimate for width at the inserts is fine - and is something that I have mentioned on several times before.
If you had normal sized feet you would never have said "Waist width is irrelevant".
But now you are saying waist width is an important part of the equation.
I think you are getting your made up facts confused.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 7
Default

OK, OK guys, appreciate your responses, but you do not have to make a war out of it Out of talking to several other people and hearing your responses I believe Legacy shall be sort of 159cm size, the only questions it's width (referring to the sizing chart, where it says that 159 is till size 11) ... I know, it also depends on actual foot size and etc. but it is not that easy...

Also taking Heritage X vs Legacy question - is Heritage really not for advanced beginners? The reason is that I've tried yesterday some very short backcountry route through the woods, and really enjoyed and liked it. However, it was very difficult, and I am not really sure if that was only my incompetence or Nitro Team Gullwing fault as well... Taking that into consideration: can I choose Heritage and then "grow into" it slowly? or that would be too steep change and better take Legacy and then perhaps Heritage or similar after few years of practise?
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Also taking Heritage X vs Legacy question - is Heritage really not for advanced beginners? The reason is that I've tried yesterday some very short backcountry route through the woods, and really enjoyed and liked it. However, it was very difficult, and I am not really sure if that was only my incompetence or Nitro Team Gullwing fault as well... Taking that into consideration: can I choose Heritage and then "grow into" it slowly? or that would be too steep change and better take Legacy and then perhaps Heritage or similar after few years of practise?
Like I said, I'm just finishing my second full season of riding. I've been on my new Heritage X 166 for a few weeks now and the board has been great. Really outstanding compared to my first board which was a full rocker and technically more forgiving in terms of edge catches. Still had no problem riding this board after a couple of hours adjusting to it. But, one of the big differences between you and I is our size and specifically weight. Board stiffness is relative to that and something like a Heritage is going to feel a lot softer to me that it would for you.

My advice if you can't try them out? Research the hell out of them from all sources, including here. But in the end, I took the advice of a few people on here that really know their shit and bought the model and size suggested to me. If people here that know what's up (which is not a category I fall under) are saying you're better suited for a Legacy in a 159 or whatever size they are saying, then that's probably the route you should go.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
If you had normal sized feet you would never have said "Waist width is irrelevant".
But now you are saying waist width is an important part of the equation.
I think you are getting your made up facts confused.
Waist width by itself is irrelevant. It is meaningless without the other information I mentioned.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,095
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Didn't read through the other posts, but figured I'd chime in since I've owned all 3: Team Gullwing, SL, and Heritage. The Heritage is stiffer than the other 2, and probably more than you need. For the other two they're both very good boards. The SL 158 has more effectgive edge than the TGW 159, and the latter is a click softer. I ended up keeping my SL and selling the TGW at the time because they were so similar, there was no point in keeping both. Pretty much get the one you can find a better deal on.
__________________
15 LibTech TRS HP . 15 NS Snowtrooper . 15 NS Ripsaw . 13 Salomon Pow Snake
15 Now Drive . 14 Now Drive
14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 7
Default

OK, thank you all for all your advices and responses. I will probably stop at Legacy 159, unless will have a chance to try something else any time soon - Nitro seems to be a bit too big for me (despite perhaps a very good total deal I would get on my current rental board), Heritage perhaps is a bit too advanced for me (despite how I would love to have carbonium ), so Legacy would be a safe bet. Not really sure I get any good deals available in Europe, but then will have to wait for next year models to show up. Again - thank you for all responses, but if you still have any other suggestion of thoughts - please share, as there seem to be not so many comparisons of those boards (except perhaps SL vs Heritage)
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Waist width by itself is irrelevant. It is meaningless without the other information I mentioned.
Like I said before, that is a statement only someone with tiny little feet would continue to repeat.

To the OP, if you get a chance check out the Nitro Blacklight they offer it in camber and GW. Its a mid wide so the waist width should be ok for your size 12's.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dago91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lugano,CH
Posts: 224
Default

Honestly I think the advice that you are getting is spot on. My friend is a Pro rider and he said that the rider weight is really what you want to look at.. also boot size.

For Instance, I am 6'4 195lbs size 12 US boot and I ride a 162cm Wide board. Now I could go down to a 161cm or up to a 163cm but no more then that.

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is this.. are you going to gain a significant amount of weight during the lifespan that you plan on riding this board? If so I would size up a bit.. to put this in perspective your thumb nail is about 2cm, thats the menial size diffrence we are talking about here.
Dago91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
never summer, nitro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums