First time snowboarding: Best equipment for the price:performance ratio? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time snowboarding: Best equipment for the price:performance ratio?

Hello all,
I've never been snowboarding before and I'm looking to get equipment that is the best bang for the buck, but mostly trying to save money. I'm going snowboarding in Killington, VT this Christmas and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go again for a while (assuming I don't love it too much and get addicted!), so I do not need anything that will last for a long time. I've compiled a list and questions about them as well of what to get. I looked at the-house, dogfunk, sierra, but I do not know how good any of their brands are. All the sessions, bonfire, and burton seem expensive and I'm not sure how good each model is, so I was wondering about recommendations and models.

1) Snowboarding Jacket - Seal at the waist so to not let in water, 10k+ waterproof and breathability?
2) Snowboarding pants - Seal at the ankles so not to let water in? 10k waterproof and breathability?
3) Wicking socks - Is wool ok? Do sock brands matter?
4) Under the snowboarding stuff, is cotton ok? Would you recommend thermal vs. underarmor wick stuff? I was planning on fleece jacket, long sleeved shirts, cotton undershirt, jeans, thermals under the snowboarding jacket and pants.
5) Goggles - any kind of goggles ok? Get 100% UV protection?
6) Gloves - Some kind of waterproof gloves?
7) Head - Ski mask vs. helmet vs. beanie? I plan on doing a beanie and a helmet, not sure what recommendations for these are.
8) Underwear - Boxers or is there something else I should be using?
9) A normal scarf
10) Boots - If 'm renting at the slopes then will they have boots? I just need anything comfy right?

What I was looking at:
I'll be renting as much stuff at the slopes as I can.
1 and 2: Session Roundhaus Snowboard Jacket & Pant Package
3: Gravis Crew Socks
4: Under Armour Men's Coldgear Action Legging
5: Is any random brand goggles ok? I chose Oakley in case a cheapo doesn't work. Oakley O Frame Goggles
6: Defcon Com Sat Snowboard Gloves
7: Random rollerblading or bike helmet?
8: Normal cotton boxers
9: Normal Scarf
10: Anything comfy

I noticed that lots of people on this boards just do snowboarding jacket, snowboarding pants, boxers, googles, beanie, gloves, but since I'm new I'd like to have all bases covered. I was planning on checking WhiskeyMilitia.com Tramdock.com everyday and then googling reviews and buying whatever, but I dunno if thats a good idea. Ideally I'd like old season stuff to save money.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by gogetadbl; 10-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.
gogetadbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

If you only have one trip planned and you aren't even sure if you will go more than once this year why blow all that cash on gear? You might just hate it and never want to go again. If I was you I would borrow whatever I could, buy some cheap walmart long underwear, NOT buy wool socks but real snowboarding socks, and rent the board etc. I don't wear a $100 set of thermals and I do fine. If you don't know when you will go next it would just be silly to spend $300+ on pants/jacket etc. Bonfire, Sessions, Four Square and 686 are some good companies to look at if you are dead set on getting some outerwear. If you are renting they will have boots. If you have never been I doubt you will get going fast enough to justify a helmet. The only thing I would do in your case is make sure to get some real snowboarding socks. Wool socks will cause you to sweat, then will become soaked in sweat, and make your feet miserable, cold, and wet for the whole day.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for everything, I have a better idea of what to get now. What makes a jacket and pants good or bad? just the waterproof and breathability? Is there a measure for how warm a jacket or pants is?

For the underpants, is under armour or henly basically what I want? Anything else that is cheaper than that? Are normal cotton boxers ok, or is there some polyester boxers that I should be looking at?

I'm from the south and it never gets cold enough to snow here, so I want to be prepared for the weather. We decided on Killington, VT since my friends have been before and said it was nice.

Wow I wasn't thinking I'd be spending $300. I figured I'd go for the session combo due to the price and all the other stuff would be about $200. I have trips to the north planned anyway and all I have is hoodies, so the jacket will be used for casual going up north as well.

This trip is gonna be so fun!

Last edited by gogetadbl; 10-04-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
F0rgiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
If you only have one trip planned and you aren't even sure if you will go more than once this year why blow all that cash on gear? You might just hate it and never want to go again. If I was you I would borrow whatever I could, buy some cheap walmart long underwear, NOT buy wool socks but real snowboarding socks, and rent the board etc. I don't wear a $100 set of thermals and I do fine. If you don't know when you will go next it would just be silly to spend $300+ on pants/jacket etc. Bonfire, Sessions, Four Square and 686 are some good companies to look at if you are dead set on getting some outerwear. If you are renting they will have boots. If you have never been I doubt you will get going fast enough to justify a helmet. The only thing I would do in your case is make sure to get some real snowboarding socks. Wool socks will cause you to sweat, then will become soaked in sweat, and make your feet miserable, cold, and wet for the whole day.
QFT.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

How is that jacket/pants I listed above from Sessions? I can't find any jacket + pants that are 10k/10k for under $150 for total. ebay has no deals either. Ideally I wanted last year's models but its a bit late for them I think, since everyone is sold out.

Do you guys usually wear a size up from normal clothing? I.e. I usually wear medium, so should I stick w/ medium jacket/pants/under armour? I

Last edited by gogetadbl; 10-05-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetadbl View Post
How is that jacket/pants I listed above from Sessions? I can't find any jacket + pants that are 10k/10k for under $150 for total. ebay has no deals either. Ideally I wanted last year's models but its a bit late for them I think, since everyone is sold out.

Do you guys usually wear a size up from normal clothing? I.e. I usually wear medium, so should I stick w/ medium jacket/pants/under armour? I
Try on everything. XL sessions fit me differently from XL Northface which is nothing like a XL Burtron.

The #1 goal should be comfort. YOu will be in this gear for hours at a time, moving about in it, sitting in it, falling in it. Make sure it fits your body well.

I have some FUGLY gear that fit great and the price was right.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

yeah i need a new jacket, my large burton is to small for my height now. pulls up and fills with snow
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have 2 months before the trip, I guess I"ll just check steepandcheap, WM, and tramdock for these weeks.