Expert for a girl :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
bakedgoods

Default Expert for a girl :)

Hi guys! Please help recommend a board for this season

I have narrowed down the boards, but not 100% sure. This is my 2nd year and planning on boarding alot this winter. Im on the eastcoast and Im looking for an all-mount freestyled board with a good flex. I ride all over and do small jumps here and there, but no rails, pipes..

Im 5"1 135lbs and 7boots. Here is what I came up with..

K2 Duchess 144, 147
K2 Fling 146, 149
Atomic Polarity 144, 149
Gnu b-pro btx 146, 149

Im sorry about the list and sizes, but just not sure what to go with. Please help recommend a board and a good size based on my ride style.. Thank you soooo much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Go for the Duchess 144.

Last edited by LouG; 10-05-2008 at 05:19 AM.
LouG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

K2 makes quality boards, and if you are riding more all mountain, without very much park, then I'd say go with the Duchess or a Luna over the Fling. The only thing I will say is that the smallest size the Duchess comes in is 144, and at 5'1 135lbs, it might be a little big for you, at least as a newer rider, but if you picked it up fairly well last year then 144 might be fine, but I wouldn't go any longer than that unless you were hitting some pow. The Luna and the Fling however, comes in 142, both of which are going to be a little easier to ride and have a little more control, especially if you're only into your second season.

So that being said, the Fling does also come in some of those smaller sizes and is in your list there....and if you don't really plan on going out west or anywhere crazy, then you will be able to ride all mountain with it because all mountain around the east is no big deal and you can do it with just about anything. So the fact that it is more a freestyle driven board isn't going to matter too much, its one of their do-anythings, for women and leaves room for progression as you develop as a rider. Plus it got Good Wood!

You're in the DC area? We carry K2 and a ton of other women's boards at my shop in Fairfax if you want to come take a look at some of those boards and maybe I can help you find a board in person.

Last edited by playbass311; 10-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
playbass311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ You work at the east coast board company?

Anyways the Fling is a twin all mountain freestyle board its poppy and fun. I had a blast riding that board. You can do everything with it.

The Duchess has a bit of set back lots of pop to it making it a bit better for all mountain riding if you need to set your stance back.

The polarity is going to be the stiffest on your list and a very well rounded all mountain board, more geared for cruising than park.

If you haven't ridden BTX you need to try it before you buy it. The gnu b pro does have a set back and has been the longest running womens pro model.

Riding in the DC area that means you're going to like Liberty, Round Tail, Snowshoe? I'd go with the 147 based on the fact you're not a jib rat.

Last edited by BurtonAvenger; 10-05-2008 at 10:44 AM.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

^No I actually work down the street from there though, haha. At Willi's Ski and Board Shop. You seem pretty familiar with the area, did you used to live out here?

But back on topic! Yeah, 147 and anything around that length is going to be a great cruising board. I guess I'm just partial to shorter boards being here in the East, haha.

Last edited by playbass311; 10-05-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
bakedgoods

LouG, BurtonAvenger, Playbass311-- Thank you guys sooo much for all the info!

Im in DC, but work in Tysons. Yes, I board "Mainly" Lib, WT and maybe twice at Snowshoe and Westcoast once a year, Aspen this year.

BurtonAvenger, Would you say the K2Fling146 is good for Liberty,WT and alil Pow once in a while (Westcoast)? The reason I asked was because I checked it out last week and liked the flex alot. I already have a free-ride 148 and this will be more for my eastcoast riding Also, you said that the other boards have a "set back"? Is that when you put the binding back? Sorry

Playbass311, Will you have these boards at the sale event and will there be any sales on them

Thank you guys for all your help!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Set back refers to the position of the inserts and being slightly off set so you have a longer nose than a tail. But for what you're looking to do I would definitely get the Fling that board is straight up fun. If they made it in a size bigger than 155 I would buy it in a heart beat.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'll have to check on the Fling, but I can always special order it for you (no chargeee). 10% off all of this year's (08/09) boards. I'm not sure if we have any of last years K2 women's but if we do you're looking at around 40% off, depending on the board.

I too would go with the Fling, looks like its going to be the most enjoyable of those for you, especially if you already have a powder board.

If you call the shop tomorrow I can try and look into the Fling for you. (703) 385-SNOW

-Leo

Last edited by playbass311; 10-05-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
bakedgoods

Thank you BurtonAvenger.. Your the BEST!!

Any thank you Leo.. will be giving you a call