Powder snake/Charlie slasher - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your coach is a fucking moron and you can tell him I said that. Don't ever change your bodies alignment because some guy that thinks he knows all says so.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Your coach is a fucking moron and you can tell him I said that. Don't ever change your bodies alignment because some guy that thinks he knows all says so.
probably you might just as well disagree without namecalling someone you don't know or never spoke to, don't you think?
besides, to my knowledge it is not at all uncommon, at least here in italy, using slightly different stances for different set-ups.
spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

you can set your bindings back a bit on the board to help w/ float but i've never heard of opening the stance angle for powder. i could be wrong about that though. i think the point here is do what you feel is right. play around w/ it but i agree...no need to go crazy open for riding powder.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spino View Post

out of curiosity: what is your stance? i have watched with admiration and envy many of the vids you recently posted, but i could not tell.
my stance is -18 +15 570mm
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've been to Italy, why do you want a powder deck? Especially when you admit yourself there isn't all that much powder and it can be wet and heavy.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spino View Post
probably you might just as well disagree without namecalling someone you don't know or never spoke to, don't you think?
besides, to my knowledge it is not at all uncommon, at least here in italy, using slightly different stances for different set-ups.

Ciao Spino.

I change my setup too depending on conditions, but more the angles than the stance. I 'm always positive (21/15 for carving or 15/9 on a really deep day).
as for stance I generally use the mid points of the board. Never paid too much attention to that since I don't do jumps or park.

Stammi bene!

Paolo
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just to clarify a few things.
First off: my coach never implied that it is NECESSARY to change the stance angles (as changing width is not even an option).
He just suggested that, since I never tried nothing but a symmetrical stance, for a more "freeride" approach I might try something a bit more directional, but still duck.
In fact, since I am still basically a noob, I find that leaning back, on a true twin and in rather deep pow (2"plus), is not very easy: I tend to lose my balance a bit either left or right which often cause me to fall.
I think that something like a 18/-6 stance might help me keep my balance as I open my torso towards the fall line a bit more than usual in pow.

Finally, I am more than aware that I am a victim of the gear acquisition syndrome, and at this point my technique is holding me back much more than my equipment.
But my long time goal is one (or more) trip to Canada and/or Japan, so at some point I will want a real pow board.

And seeing the chance of a good deal on a powder snake is just a big temptation: if is still available (and maybe a bit cheaper still) I might treat me to one for my birthday.

I hope I made myself clear enough, but as you can imagine English is not my mother tongue.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

ok not sure if i'm missing something here but set your bindings back a bit so that your nose is longer than your tail of the board. this will help the leaning back issue you're having as you won't have to feel like youre leaning back when the setup is doing that for you. when there's no powder...center the bindings back up.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Don't worry, your English is fine .

Just to clarify one thing: Leaning back is a misleading term when it comes to pow riding. You want to shift your center to the tail but not by leaning back but by shifting your upper body and knees so you still have control when turning. Not that this has a lot to do with the topic.

Regardless, I totally get you would want a pow board. I have one that I can't use very often. But when I do I feel like it's totally worth it every time.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOskiLF_bum View Post
ok not sure if i'm missing something here but set your bindings back a bit so that your nose is longer than your tail of the board. this will help the leaning back issue you're having as you won't have to feel like youre leaning back when the setup is doing that for you. when there's no powder...center the bindings back up.
i think you're not missing anything.
the problem is that so far i have never tried setting back the binding either. i have always ridden center stance and symmetrical: obviously not ideal for pow, especially if you are not so skilled yet.
anyway, even if i am not the most experienced rider, i think i have quite a good knowledge of technique: what i still need is a LOT of practice.

But in any case, even if it derailed into a stance/setback discussion, i basically opened this thread to have some feedback on a potential pow stick that might calm my board lust.