Basalt explained (featured on Mervin boards) - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Oh, and some NS decks are in fact still pretty chunky, say the Premier F1.
This is true based on my experience. My NS Premier starts to feel heavy hanging from my leg on the lift by the end of the day. Whereas my similar length Lib feels much lighter.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
This is true based on my experience. My NS Premier starts to feel heavy hanging from my leg on the lift by the end of the day. Whereas my similar length Lib feels much lighter.
You make it sound like they are pounds apart. People sound weak on here when they complain about a few ounces/grams of difference. Your own body weight is different every time you go out, but nobody says "Man, I must be 0.5 lbs lighter today because I just nailed that 360!"
Karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
You make it sound like they are pounds apart. People sound weak on here when they complain about a few ounces/grams of difference. Your own body weight is different every time you go out, but nobody says "Man, I must be 0.5 lbs lighter today because I just nailed that 360!"
After the weight reduction thread I took more notice of the weight of my board and with my left knee meniscus tear and degrading cartilage under my patella, the weight difference in the two boards I ride, however negligible, was certainly noticeable (same bindings.) I would get more pain in my knee (when not using the bar) with my T. Rice HP (161.5) than with my Proto (157), which is lighter than the Lib.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You've got a hell of a lot more board in the Rice 61 than the 57 proto. The extra length plus the Rice is a midwide. So yeah, it's gonna be heavier.

Neither brand is light.

I was kinda looking forward to how thsi thread would dvelope until numbnuts decided to turn it into an NS vs Mervin thread. I wanted to see what the general communities feelings, thoughts, and reactions were on basalt.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

my gf's Pandora feels like its damn near weightless..my evo on the other hand has a pretty decent weight to it. its not heavy, but i wouldnt call it light either.
i cant imagine ever choosing a board or company based solely on a few ounces here or there..especially when changing bindings or boots or even socks can completely negate the difference.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East§ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Basalt explained (featured on Mervin boards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
Negative. I'm a fairly fit dude. I just happen to have a bum left knee that acts up from to time. The weight does get noticeable after a full day. I only notice it on the lift at the end of the day, not when I'm riding. To clarify.

Last edited by LuckyRVA; 03-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

Default Basalt explained (featured on Mervin boards)

So at a glance the stuff is stiffer, have better tensile strength, better at dampening and more resistant to environment and wear factors.

Uniformity is less consistent than glass and there's less supply. Slightly heavier but then mervin claim it's lighter, so they must be able to use less of it due to its properties.

Seems like a good alternative for at mid-high end market product, considering the way hey described they cost. And depending how big the variance in consistencies of the product, may not be suitable for a race product.

Last edited by seriouscat; 03-19-2013 at 07:27 PM.
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I wanted to see what the general communities feelings, thoughts, and reactions were on basalt.
higher strength and stiffness, slightly higher weight than glass. Harder to manufacture but much more environmentally friendly.

hows the dampening compared to glass, carbon, and aramid

"the basalt/epoxy sample's strength tested 13.7 percent higher than that of the E-glass and exhibited 17.5 percent greater stiffness, although the basalt sample was 3.6 percent heavier. [Ed: Other tests have shown basalt fibers to be about 2-3% heavier than E-glass and 5-6% heavier than S-glass so this needs to be factored in."

im bummed mervin hasnt done more with vectran fibers. They use it in the eco/altered genetics for years and the cygnus. I've dealt with vectran rope and it is crazy strong for its weight.