Groomer board - help me choose - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #91 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,410
Default

Had many wonderful pow runs with the Flagship this spring. Today, at perfect groomers from 3500m to 2500m, surrounded by dramatic high alpine scenery, carve, bomb lines - so much fun! I love this board Just wanted to say this, cause from my statements of the rather harsh ride in crap groomers one could think I dont like the Flagship...




Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
... For starters these are the womens boards I'd point you towards: Ride Farrah, K2 Eco Lite, Salomon Idol...
By pure chance I run into a Ride Farha 153 to demo tomorrow very curious! Tell me more of it... is the edgehold on ice really an issue? (yes I know, thegoodride is no good, but still...) wont be able to ride it on ice here.

Last edited by neni; 04-11-2013 at 03:30 PM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #92 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,530
Default

I had no grip issues on the Berzerker, the mens equivalent.

It has camber from the back foot to the contact pts and is flat between the feet. You have a lot of edge to work with. It will not grip as well as youur Flagship. Your board now has much more effective edge and has magne. That said you shouldnt have any grip issues with the Farrah as long as you know how to use your edges.

When you demo it take some easy laps to get used to the profile. Figure out where it likes to be pushed and where it doesnt. If you try and ride it the exact same way as your Flagship you'll likely have a bad time. And be prepared for significantly quicker edge to edge. It's going to be narrower and softer.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #93 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I had no grip issues on the Berzerker, the mens equivalent.

It has camber from the back foot to the contact pts and is flat between the feet. You have a lot of edge to work with. It will not grip as well as youur Flagship. Your board now has much more effective edge and has magne. That said you shouldnt have any grip issues with the Farrah as long as you know how to use your edges.

When you demo it take some easy laps to get used to the profile. Figure out where it likes to be pushed and where it doesnt. If you try and ride it the exact same way as your Flagship you'll likely have a bad time. And be prepared for significantly quicker edge to edge. It's going to be narrower and softer.
The search has come to an end hey, I owe you a beer! After a day on the demo, went straight to the shop to buy a new Ride Farah 153 (even squeezed a 30% sale).

The Farha was pure fun today. Rode in various conditions, but mostly in pow and moguls. Wasnt sure what you meant by this significant quicker edge to edge transition cause I thought that the Flagship is very fast edge to edge. But the Farah is effortless edge to edge! I rode with my boots wide open, very relaxed. Riding the Flagy in moguls is hard work. The Farah in moguls is pure fun. I was yelling of joy whyle slashing through those formerly hated moguls, jumping over some bigger ones, smoothe landing and immediately slay through the next ones.
First meters in pow I regreted to dont have the Flagy. Float is (obviously) less good with the shorter Farah, but with minor body adaptions the next 4 pow runs where also great. Short turns in steep are very easy. Everything is so very easy on this board!
Also found a nasty ice run. Well, edgehold is not as good as with the Flagy, but still good. No reason to slow down here. The same is true for carving.
The most important point: it is chatter free and stable at higher speeds. I still need to adapt a pit to it, sure it is not a fraight train like the Flagy, but for a board giving me such an amount of playfulness I was very surprised by its stability! Tomorrow I'll hit the park to find some nice little jumps - for the first time in my life this board made me curious, what I can land safely.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #94 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
The search has come to an end hey, I owe you a beer! After a day on the demo, went straight to the shop to buy a new Ride Farah 153 (even squeezed a 30% sale).

The Farha was pure fun today. Rode in various conditions, but mostly in pow and moguls. Wasnt sure what you meant by this significant quicker edge to edge transition cause I thought that the Flagship is very fast edge to edge. But the Farah is effortless edge to edge! I rode with my boots wide open, very relaxed. Riding the Flagy in moguls is hard work. The Farah in moguls is pure fun. I was yelling of joy whyle slashing through those formerly hated moguls, jumping over some bigger ones, smoothe landing and immediately slay through the next ones.
First meters in pow I regreted to dont have the Flagy. Float is (obviously) less good with the shorter Farah, but with minor body adaptions the next 4 pow runs where also great. Short turns in steep are very easy. Everything is so very easy on this board!
Also found a nasty ice run. Well, edgehold is not as good as with the Flagy, but still good. No reason to slow down here. The same is true for carving.
The most important point: it is chatter free and stable at higher speeds. I still need to adapt a pit to it, sure it is not a fraight train like the Flagy, but for a board giving me such an amount of playfulness I was very surprised by its stability! Tomorrow I'll hit the park to find some nice little jumps - for the first time in my life this board made me curious, what I can land safely.
To be honest, most of what you are describing sounds more like a result of downsizing rather than riding a different board...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #95 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
To be honest, most of what you are describing sounds more like a result of downsizing rather than riding a different board...
Naa... dont think so. Cant say it for sure, cause I havent riden a shorter Flagy, but I'm very sure that also a shorter one would have the same lack of dampness that makes it a strenuous ride in moguls/crud. The 164 Raptor was easyer for me to ride in crud... I can turn the Flagy in very short tight turns with ease. Its not the turning that is difficult. Its the lack of absorption that forces you to ride very deep in your knees in crud or youll lift off and this makes you tired soon. This was not nessecairy with the Raptor nor the Farah.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my conclusion is that the Flagy is a very specialized board. What makes it so great for pow and going fast makes it bad in crud.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #96 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Great forum!


Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
I'm 5.6ft, rode the Liberty Carbon 157 in the most outer stances (60cm) but if on a new board, I begin with the center ones: on the Flagship this equals 54cm and this felt fine for me too so I'm still on this width; my boots are 28cm long; no chance to ride the very narrow small Raven with 0 grade at the hind boot
Wow! With your stats, riding a 157... Impressive! I'm 5'5 and 140 lbs. I want a longer snowboard and thinking of getting size 153. I might get a men's board but there are some snowboards (ie. ultralight) that the smallest size is 158. How do you like riding much longer snowboards compared to smaller ones? Are you happy with the Farah 153? I heard it's a good snowboard.

Doesn't seem too common to have women ride such long snowboards. Props to you!
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #97 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordiechick View Post
Wow! With your stats, riding a 157... Impressive! I'm 5'5 and 140 lbs. I want a longer snowboard and thinking of getting size 153. I might get a men's board but there are some snowboards (ie. ultralight) that the smallest size is 158. How do you like riding much longer snowboards compared to smaller ones? Are you happy with the Farah 153? I heard it's a good snowboard.

Doesn't seem too common to have women ride such long snowboards. Props to you!

You're not the first one mentioning something alike, and you know what? That is making me insecure. It's a fine line between doing somethin in a different way and doing something the wrong way...
Anyway. All impressions of the boards I tested are somewhere scattered in this thread but I try to summarize what I didn't like with the smaller (<150) boards I've riden so far:
Burton Custom: bad float in pow and chatter at higher speeds. I guess these points are objective.
NS Raven, the smallest one 146. Too narrow for my flat hind angle, wasn't able to carve with it, edge didn't hold when it was pushed - very subjective, dependent on my riding style. I was pushing too much and couldn't reduce the force.
Salomon Idol app. 149: too light, I didn't feel the board - also very subjective, could as well be an advantage for someone else.

What I like with stiffer/longer boards (leave out major detail of different shapes) e.g. Ride Highlife 155, Flagship 158, NS Raptor 164, Volkl Coal 168: edgehold! You can really push/lay into a carve. The 164 Raptor and 168 Coal were obviously too long and wide, just rode them for fun, significant slower edge to edge and heavy. Wouldn't want to navigate the Coal through moguls

I like the Farah 153 for being something in between. Not too soft, not too short. Not as stable as the Flagship but still chatter free at 48mph, pretty good float in the little pow I was able to ride with it with bindings set back into +1 hind inserts, very responsive and fast/effortless edge to edge, good edge hold while carving if I reduce the force of hind leg a bit. Fun in moguls and to surf spring slush. A very good all mountain board. Be aware that its discontinued next year. You get good offers for this years models. Got mine 30% off.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums