Groomer board - help me choose - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Ride Fame (on both, the Flagship and Raptor).
Then you probably wont find something with significantly better dampening...

Another board manufacturer you could look at is Goodboards. They make some nice handcrafted camber boards. If you know LTB (nothing to do with LTD), Goodboards is basically the German-speaking LTB distribution guys having gone their own way and having started a new company. Not sure if there is a demo opportunity in your area.
behi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Resident poet

ahhh...billygoat would be a great groomer board

also check riders choice (mens or ladies) and b-pro

or if you want more of a camber feel for blasting groomers....something with c3 instead of c2 ...like a billygoat with c3

edit...never mind you want a cambered, for blasting groomers for stability, pop and acceleration out of the carve

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 03-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have a raptor 164 obviously damp and carves very well. I also have a custom x 162 wide that I honestly think is incredibly over rated.
Earlier this season a local shop was closing down and I was fortunate enough to get a Capita Black Death 159 half price.

I live to carve groomers and have never had a board rail anywhere near as well as the BSOD. It lets me do things that I thought would only be possible on an alpine deck. It is however like most higher end boards one that if your not on your game you will dislike.

I have been on my raptor for 3 seasons now and much prefer the Capita.

My wife rips groomers like a champ....she's on a NS Lotus.......swears by it.

Last edited by isle1965; 03-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.
isle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
ahhh...billygoat would be a great groomer board
Haha... you really seem to love your BG. Maybe I just should get the BG split and make it my hike AND groomer board

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
if she wants something stiffer, the Dark(er) Series (155 and up).
*Gasp* I almost spit coffee over my mobile...
Remember my dear young shop assistent telling me "oh no, girls can't ride a billy goat"? When I later looked greedily at the Darker Series, he looked me deep in the eyes with that gaze my dad had when I was touching his motor saw as a little girl and said "nonono... that's nothing for you", turned and told my husband "but it would be a cool board for YOU" ... this guy was lucky, there was no motor saw around

I like you guys

Last edited by neni; 03-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib Tech Hotknife (C3). Picked one up a few weeks ago. Overall camber profile, damp, carves like a dream and true twin shape. I'm loving it so far on the hard pack east coast.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Umpf... how ironic... I finally managed to learn to ride fast enough to stick to the tails of the guys at blacks, now they start buying telemark skis and want to spend the non-pow days on blues and reds Good thing: I finally get the time to play around, ride switch, improve carving.

I love my Flagship 158 on blacks and pow, but it is not the right board for such slow groomer days. Riding a NS Raptor 164 for a day, I was surprised, how much softer it was on bumpy groomers and how easy to carve, even if it was far too big for me. So I'm thinking of getting a second option for those days, when there's no fresh snow and the pack changes to telemarks.

My prerequisites: pure groomer board, softer than the Flagship, but must be stable at higher speeds (50mph) and nice to carve as the Raptor. There'll be a test day with these brands

Would be great, if you could give me some hints, what boards I sould have a closer look at and why.

I'm 120lbs, app. 450 days boarding (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...od-idea-1.html)

If you like carving you should try the Arbor A-Frame. Rode it yesterday with 23-18 angles and I was leaving "C's " into ice. Very very good board.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Another recommendation for Burton Custom X Full Camber

It is absolutely incredible on groomers, the gradient be damned. The edge holds like no other board that I've tried (and I demo'd a bunch while shopping for a new board).

The board absolutely flies. I'm going 40 mph and 100% in control, the board responsive and never chattering, even if I'm slicing over an ice patch.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well now, this is an interesting one. A girl, riding a board too gnarly for most dudes, and you're under weight by about 65 pounds for the size you're on. The fact you can even ride the deck is impressive. I can't help but beg you to drop everything else you're doing and focus on snowboarding cause there are only a handful of girls on the planet that could properly ride a Flagship weighing what you do. That takes strength and great fundamentals.

Anyway, I'm curious what size boot you wear. Being that this is going to be your carving groomer board your ability to get it up on edge is going to be key and something better optimized for a womes foot is going to make a big difference.

For starters these are the womens boards I'd point you towards: Ride Farrah, K2 Eco Lite, Salomon Idol, something from APO (ask them at the tent), Nitro Fate Flat, or Jones is making the Mothership which is the narrower slightly softer Flagship which would be that much easier to pick up on edge and put into a carve.

Though you may not get to demo one, based on what you ride now I would strongly suggest you look into Venture snowboards. One of the best brand I've had the fortune to meet and they do nothing but make stiff freeride decks. You pick waist widths so you wouldnt really be buying a "girls" board, but just a freeride board with a proper waist width for your size.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

I got a new board this year - the Rome Gold - it might be worth a demo. I'm finding it fantastic on groomers, it really carves well and is fast from edge to edge. It also picks up speed quickly, I can fly past everyone down blue corduroy runs and sometimes have to check (slow) my speed going down blacks. I weigh slightly less than you and have a 147, but you probably want to go larger based on the other boards you've tried You might find it slightly squirrely when the board is flat (I hardly notice it now), but on edge it's great. I haven't tried a huge selection of boards so I don't have the experience of some other people on here ... but if you are wanting a suggestion that is actually a women's board it might be worth a try!
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Im thinking you might want to add the NS Lotus to your list. At least take it for a spin if you get the chance.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote