Groomer board - help me choose - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Well now, this is an interesting one. A girl, riding a board too gnarly for most dudes, and you're under weight by about 65 pounds for the size you're on. The fact you can even ride the deck is impressive. I can't help but beg you to drop everything else you're doing and focus on snowboarding cause there are only a handful of girls on the planet that could properly ride a Flagship weighing what you do. That takes strength and great fundamentals.
I've to send this my husband. It's only days ago he critizised that I look so strained while riding, that a real advanced rider would look more elegant. If I'm trying to explain, that this is part of this board, that his Raptor was a pretty soft ride compared to it, he looks at me with this ironic "yes... SURE" gaze (= hes thinking "bla bla bla")

Anyway, I truely think, the Flagship is overrated in terms of being gnarly. I felt "at home" on it after the first meters. Stable, easy to turn, fast edge to edge. And I'm honestly not very advanced (tried to ride some turns switch and looked like a complete idiot only days ago ). I'm just used (was forced) to ride as fast as I dare and for this, the Flagship is the perfect partner. It needs some concentration but it's a lot of fun.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm curious what size boot you wear. Being that this is going to be your carving groomer board your ability to get it up on edge is going to be key and something better optimized for a womes foot is going to make a big difference.

Though you may not get to demo one, based on what you ride now I would strongly suggest you look into Venture snowboards. One of the best brand I've had the fortune to meet and they do nothing but make stiff freeride decks. You pick waist widths so you wouldnt really be buying a "girls" board, but just a freeride board with a proper waist width for your size.
6.5 in mens / 8.5 in womans / European 39. What waist size yould you recommend? Was looking at the description of the Venture Zephyr only minutes ago. Actually, I did the entire day nothing else than read manufacturer's and the-good-ride's descriptions of board, mentally zig-zagging between being attracted by the stiffer men's ones, then telling myself
"naaa... you're looking for a contrast to the Flagship" - "yes... but I don't want to ride a chattery unstable noodle"
"but you want to have something more easygoing" - "but none of the woman's boards has an 'excellent' in carving"
"don't be stubborn, try something complete different" - "I'll hate it at the first straight line runout"
"but you might finally look elegant!"

Well... it's pretty sure now that we'll skip the demo day. Snowstorms are announced for the next three days. As interesting and helpful it would be to test several boards, when pow is announced, there's no other option than to follow this siren's call!

Last edited by neni; 03-18-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typos typos typos...
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

When you say you're looking for a women's board with an "excellent" in carving, do you mean on TheGoodRide? Cause I will note that the Rome Gold I mentioned a couple posts ago did have an "excellent" in both groomers and carving if my memory serves me correctly - one of the main reasons I was attracted to it Have fun hitting the powder if that's what you decide to do though
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
I got a new board this year - the Rome Gold - it might be worth a demo. I'm finding it fantastic on groomers, it really carves well and is fast from edge to edge. It also picks up speed quickly, I can fly past everyone down blue corduroy runs and sometimes have to check (slow) my speed going down blacks. I weigh slightly less than you and have a 147, but you probably want to go larger based on the other boards you've tried You might find it slightly squirrely when the board is flat (I hardly notice it now), but on edge it's great. I haven't tried a huge selection of boards so I don't have the experience of some other people on here ... but if you are wanting a suggestion that is actually a women's board it might be worth a try!
Fist female post Thanks! Sounds promising, will go to my "to check in detail" list. Seems to have exactly this "acceleration in the carve" attitude, I'm looking for. The squirrely while flat might be the same try-to-balance-on-an-gymnastic-ball feeling, I recogniced trying to ride the Raptor (also hybrid rocker) flat. Snowolf mentioned in the "scorpoined while flat..." thread how to overcome this problem, so I just have to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
When you say you're looking for a women's board with an "excellent" in carving, do you mean on TheGoodRide? Cause I will note that the Rome Gold I mentioned a couple posts ago did have an "excellent" in both groomers and carving if my memory serves me correctly - one of the main reasons I was attracted to it Have fun hitting the powder if that's what you decide to do though
oh yes, you're right. gets another thumbs up then. What is your impression of edge hold on ice?

To those recommending the NS Lotus... Why the Lotus and not the Infinity? The Infinity seems to be more suitable for carving and riding switch, whereas the Lotus is more a pow board...? (if there's pow, the Flagship will me my companion )

Last edited by neni; 03-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

The Lotus is the NS women's counterpart to the men's Premier board. (At least it seems to me) that the Infinity is a softer, more playful all-mountain board that can also be used in the park. If you look at the NS website, you can see where these two boards (Lotus, Infinity) stack up, compared to the Raptor.

If you're considering women's boards and want traditional camber, take a look at the Arbor Push as well. It's described as a freeride/powder board, but you might think otherwise if you're already riding a Flagship in pow?
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

I just got the Infinity and took it for a ride yesterday. I'm loving it because it's soft and feels playful. But for fast carves -- definitely would prefer my stiffer/narrower/cambered board.
unsunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Resident poet

Infinity is a noodle...at least a few years ago when my daughter was looking for a board. It's too bad that Option went south...they were making some great high-end women's boards in Canada at the time of their demise. Actually still ocassionally ride a women's Trinity 158 stiff cambered poppy FR...I haven't maxed it out cause 54 mph is fast enough for me.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Maybe look at Kessler The Ride, Burton Custom X, next year's Billy Goat with C3, or just get the Raptor in a shorter length since you've tried it and liked it.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunken View Post
I just got the Infinity and took it for a ride yesterday. I'm loving it because it's soft and feels playful. But for fast carves -- definitely would prefer my stiffer/narrower/cambered board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Infinity is a noodle...at least a few years ago when my daughter was looking for a board.
ok... scratch Infinity.

Any opinions on the Jones Twin Sister?
I'm pretty sure, I could demo this in the local shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip11 View Post
or just get the Raptor in a shorter length since you've tried it and liked it.
good point. Yes, I liked how it carved but it's not really the right one to learn to ride switch.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At your foot size I definitely recommend a womens width board. Something sub 24.5 is what you're probably looking for in terms of actual numbers. Can go higher, can go lower, thats's more just a point to start at.

Absolutely get on the Twin Sister.

Absolutely ignore the Goodride, they're idiots. Unfortunately for online gear reviews for women there just isn't anything good yet aside from some of the posters here. Angrysnowboarder.com will have some for 2014.

If you're worried about looseness and the feeling of a ball between your feet I'd just stay away from anything RC. It's not for everyone. And going smaller and softer will only pronounce the instability.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunken View Post
But for fast carves -- definitely would prefer my stiffer/narrower/cambered board.
which one?

Quote:
Absolutely ignore the Goodride, they're idiots. Unfortunately for online gear reviews for women there just isn't anything good yet aside from some of the posters here. Angrysnowboarder.com will have some for 2014.
I read thru all reviews of shayboarder.com but it's a pity that she didn't demo too many woman's boards neither.

Quote:
If you're worried about looseness and the feeling of a ball between your feet I'd just stay away from anything RC. It's not for everyone. And going smaller and softer will only pronounce the instability.
It wasn't so much "worry" as is was "surprise with a pinch wtf".

When riding the Flagship, I fasten the boots and bindings as hard as I can. This might sound a bit esotheric, but the legs/feet/board build kind of a unit. The Flagship does exactly, what it'll be told. The slightest movement of toes will make it react. I trust this board a lot, felt so secure on it, that I even began to do little jumps and flatbase it on hardpack with ease. Entire different picture, as soon as I have the boots loosened a bit or ride with stretched legs: it will get bitchy and ride me. Like with TB horses: great to ride fast but dangerous if you loosen the reins and don't concentrate.

Thus I was a bit surprised by the Raptor. It did "funny movements" without being told. As soon as on an edge, it was fine; going over icy parts (from artificial snow), it had the better edgehold than the Flagship, which I appreciated a lot cause those reds the guys will telly on have several such parts. Surprised doesn't mean, I wouldn't want to try to adapt to this loose feeling. It just was so very different (next day back on the Flagship was like: oh, my second skin - lets bomb some lines! oh... we're bound to the reds... with all the skiers making bumps, and I have to wait every other hundered meters for the telly guys... oh, my feet die, this run will never end... this sucks.)

So to all the guys recommending stiff men's boards: Thanks a lot, I'm sure, this are great boards, but wouldn't they ride quite similar to the Flagship...? I'm not looking for another "needing continuously all my strength" board, harsh to ride in bumpy afternoon groomers.
I still want to ride aggressively, make deep carves, shoot down the runout, but with the opportunity to take it easy, to play around while waiting for the telly guys. Guess, a not so damn stiff woman's boards thus would suit better.