Groomer board - help me choose - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Opinion on sizes? Well, on the men's, I'll go for the smallest/check for narrow waist. But on the woman's?
Online lenght calculator recommends a 149. yiiik! But then, it won't need to float pow, so why not go for something that actually suits my weight? Well... maybe a 151... or 154

Naa, kidding. I'd be curious, what the groomer ripping womans here would recommend / hear their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle1965 View Post
My wife rips groomers like a champ....she's on a NS Lotus.......swears by it.
What size Lotus is she on? Did she ever mention that she would have wanted it to be longer or shorter?
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
It's on the top. Raven = Lotus in 2014
yeah yeah. technicality.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

Neni, check the waist widths on the Lotus (or Raven) for the best match for your boot size, but generally speaking, 149 is too short for you. 151 if you want to play around on the mountain, 154 if you want to do fast carves on the groomers. Maybe the 154, since you're already used to riding much longer boards?

I have the Lotus in 154--although I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't taken it out yet Been riding the Arbor Cadence as my mess-around-on-the-mountain board thus far this season, which has been kind of a bust snow-wise. Anyway, if it helps any, I'm 5'6", 144 lbs, size 7.5 boot. Hope to get the Lotus on the snow in a week or so!
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Thanks Kauila!

Presented my list to my husband and lit a fire . He'll leave the tellies at home and want's to demo some boards too "the most agressive carving boards". Okey... from the ones you recomnended, I think the BSOD, Hot Knife, Burner and Dark Series might suit?

I'm sure, you already gave me some pretty good tips, but if you were reluctant cause I'm a lighweight and looking for something more playful, now is the time to give away the nasty stuff.
He's an expert rider, 190lbs, boot size 8. Likes the Raptor but says, his former Cusom X was a better carver.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

If you are in Europe... what about Head?

SHE'S EVIL KERS FLOCKA
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Cool Demo-Day review

okey... the demo day was a mix of interesting, disillusioning, disappointing and funny.

I supposed I was well prepared and had my list of boards I wanted to demo, just to receive the same reply at every tent: oh, would be a nice board, but we don't have it here:
No Burner, Dark Series, Hot Knife, Billy Goat, Anthem, Gold, BSOD. Of the ones in stock, sizes were either too small or too large: the woman's were <149, the men's mostly >158.

Demoed on good groomer conditions on the same blacks in this order:

1) Salomon Idol. The ca149 was the largest. Was irritated by it's weight: it was thus light. Almost as if there's nothing under your feet. After riding rather larg heavy boards I wasn't sure, if I liked that or not Was a nice ride, didn't recognize that much pop though, but an OK carver and surprisingly stable at high speeds. But I for sure would need to try a larger one to get a proper idea of the board.

2) Salomon Sick Stick. I actually asked for the Burner, but since this one is discontinued in 2014, the dude gave me the Sick Stick as an "appropriate alternative". Bah! The ca159 was stable at higher speeds, but to carve with this board is no fun. I began to seriously doubt if the tent dudes actually knew their boards at all.

3) NS SL the ca160 was the smallest one. Was an overall ok, nice to carve, but not as good as the Raptor. Felt a bit coarse but then the 160 was a bit wide for my small feet. So no idea of this board either.

4) NS Raven (the 2014 replacement of Lotus). They only had a very tiny one, ca145. Told the dude that this is far to small for me, he insisted on it being ok, cause of my weight. Great. I even had to change my hind 0 angle to +15 to fit my boot on this tiny board. Hell, this was the most awful ride I had this day. It was almost as if the board was afraid of me. Real carving was impossible, landed on my ass twice trying. The edge wasn't able to handle my pressure and I was not able to impact less pressure. Ended up cruising. To be fair: the board might be nice, if it would have been 10cm longer. It had the sort of softness/dampness I was looking for but the tiny one was just dull.

5) Ride Highlife. aaaaah... after the Raven letdown, this 155 was heaven! The Ride dude was more than reluctant to give me this stiffy, but I insisted and it was the best ride that day high speed bomber, high speed carver, pretty stiff, but def. damper than the Flagship. Loved to lay it flat, had to impact less force than on the Flagship to get better/deeper carves. Could be an option... though it's pretty similar to the Flagship

6) Rome Agent. the 156 trad. camber one. Hmmm... it's an ok carver, not super stable but ok at higher speeds. I heavily failed when tried ride switch on the Flagship (never tried it before, been a forward oriented rider so far and was struggling like 1st day rider to do proper turns ), but tried on the Agent anyway, and I felt surprising comfortable, was able to do several turns immediately; rotating (don't know how it's called when you spin with the board on the snow again and again, like a screw..?) was very easy on both sides (for me very strenuous backside on the Flagship). So although this board was nothing impressive on the carving aspect, it nonetheless might fit for fulfilling the playfulness part.

All in all, I learned that even at big demo days, the selection of boards/sizes is small, that I de facto seem have a knack for stiff men's boards, that I can't (and I mean not. able. to.) ride short woman's boards - and I still have no clue, which board I should order

Edit: BTW. While I was demoing, my husband took my Flagship. His comments: wow, you were right, this board is very stiff. But it's awesome! I bet, I could hit 85 with it. I'll gonna get a 164!
Was very interesting for me to whatch him riding this board... I got an idea of what would actually be possible to do with it. He made "C"s so deep, I'll never be able to do.
Another BTW. Me back on the Flagship for the last run on black I just felt home. Wondered, why on earth I ever wanted to get another one. So stable, straight and responsive. But when entering the chopped up reds, I remembered quickly

Last edited by neni; 03-25-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #47 (permalink)

Hi Neni, please try and demo a Nidecker Megalight and Ultralight. These boards kick ass on groomers as well as pow. Seeing that you are in Europe you will have a better chance to demo one of these boards. Also, these boards are beautifully made, you'll see what I mean when you see it up close. Good luck
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpjames 09 View Post
Hi Neni, please try and demo a Nidecker Megalight and Ultralight. These boards kick ass on groomers as well as pow. Seeing that you are in Europe you will have a better chance to demo one of these boards. Also, these boards are beautifully made, you'll see what I mean when you see it up close. Good luck
Man I'd love to get on a Megalight!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

Wernersl, they're sick boards. I own the Ultralight. I see you are in SoCal, I was at Bear on 3/23. The board did great on the icy conditions.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpjames 09 View Post
Wernersl, they're sick boards. I own the Ultralight. I see you are in SoCal, I was at Bear on 3/23. The board did great on the icy conditions.
So you're one of the ones I flew by Saturday!