Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Setback (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/74906-setback.html)

FireStarter451 03-17-2013 05:30 PM

Setback

Embedded this question in another long post, which might have been a bad idea:

I measured my Jones Mountain (Directional) Twin (which has setback by default) and I realized that with my planned 21 inch stance, I'll have 21 inches from nose to center of front binding, and 21 inches from tail to center of rear binding. This works out to a "twin" (i.e. perfectly centered on the board) stance if I set the front binding on the reference hole, which makes my rear binding end up forward of that reference hole (since my stance is smaller than the reference stance of 23.xx"). Any potential issues with this? Should I be setting the rear binding on the reference hole? I realize it's only a 2" difference, but after riding a setback board last night I thought I should at least investigate.

behi 03-17-2013 05:48 PM

You can try it, but for me even 1" is very noticeable and makes for a significantly worse ride; ideally, you should be centered on the sidecut.

If your board has 2x4 mounting holes, just move both bindings inwards one hole set from the reference stance.

On some bindings, you can move the mounting disc fore/aft for some fine-tuning...

FireStarter451 03-17-2013 07:50 PM

So what happens if you're not centered on the sidecut?

kaborkian 03-17-2013 08:51 PM

Think about how a board carves. Lean up on edge, boars flexes into the snow, and creates a curve. If you aren't centered on that curve, you will have to put more weight front or rear, depending on which way you offset, to get the carve right. Some people offset it intentionally for various reasons, usually to get more float in pow by offsetting to the rear.

hktrdr 03-17-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behi (Post 846666)
You can try it, but for me even 1" is very noticeable and makes for a significantly worse ride; ideally, you should be centered on the sidecut.

If your board has 2x4 mounting holes, just move both bindings inwards one hole set from the reference stance.

On some bindings, you can move the mounting disc fore/aft for some fine-tuning...

What he said - basically center the bindings relative to the inserts (i.e., go same number of holes forward/backward from the innermost insert holes until you reach your desired stand width).

FireStarter451 03-17-2013 10:49 PM

Setback

Thanks for the input. I'll move each binding one insert closer to center to keep it even/centered relative to the sidecut.

poutanen 03-17-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireStarter451 (Post 847306)
Thanks for the input. I'll move each binding one insert closer to center to keep it even/centered relative to the sidecut.

Yeah this is the way to do it.

Except in special circumstances, you generally want to to things symmetrically with each foot. As long as they're both centred between toe and heelside, the other thing you can do is flip your discs 90 deg and use the slots to move them in equally on each foot.