Opinions/experience with Lib Tech Dark Series? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I thought about those but i kind of want a profile similar to c2btx or ns rc and I think the first two may also be a bit wider than I want. So has anyone actually ridden the dark series who can give me some feedback on how it rides in general and has some opinions on it?
boarder22ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder22ab View Post
I thought about those but i kind of want a profile similar to c2btx or ns rc and I think the first two may also be a bit wider than I want. So has anyone actually ridden the dark series who can give me some feedback on how it rides in general and has some opinions on it?
I would just like to point out that neither the TFA or the Heritage are going to be too wide. Unless of course you buy the wide versions. It sounds like you need to find a demo day and just ride some different boards to really see what you like and don't like.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Opinions/experience with Lib Tech Dark Series?

I demoed the dark series for a day before buying the raptor a couple months ago. Actually, I demoed a NS legacy, then the dark, then I bought the raptor. I ride fast and spend most of my time off piste when I can.

Between those three boards, i felt it was a steady progression of increasing stiffness. The legacy obviously was nowhere near what i was looking for. I liked the dark. A lot. It had great agility, was fun, and i felt comfortable and confident anywhere, but It just wasn't as stable at speed or through crud as I would have liked (coming from a relatively stiff cambered board). The guys at the demo shop said the raptor would be more stable, and I did like the RC profile of the legacy so I trusted them and just went with the raptor.

They were completely right. I definitely think the raptor is more stable and hard charging than the dark. Yeah, you feel a bit restrained at slow speeds (I was teaching my girlfriend this season) but it never really got to the point of an annoyance for me. I usually rode in the trees next to the groomer my girlfriend was going down or practicing switch to keep myself entertained. In this regard, id think the dark is slightly more easy going. But on balance, the raptor's added capabilities in bombing more than neutralize any iffiness in the shallows.

But I did only use the dark series for one day, maybe I would have warmed up to it. But the bottom line is that I wasn't thrilled with it at the end of the day and decided to purchase a different board that I never set foot on, so maybe that says something. I know I had a huge grin on my face after my first day with the raptor...
glaucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you are still catching edges on cat tracks, you dont need a aggressive board. if you want something that is easy to ride at slow speeds, you dont want a aggressive board. I'd be looking at a trs or a riders choice. They are beefy freestyle boards that can handle any speed you can. (your thinking too much about the speed thing, control comes from skill not the board)

what size feet do you have? people are riding wider boards with narrow feet, a 25cm waist is fine with size 8 feet.

i'd compare the dark to the NS cobra
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
if you are still catching edges on cat tracks, you dont need a aggressive board. if you want something that is easy to ride at slow speeds, you dont want a aggressive board. I'd be looking at a trs or a riders choice. They are beefy freestyle boards that can handle any speed you can. (your thinking too much about the speed thing, control comes from skill not the board)

what size feet do you have? people are riding wider boards with narrow feet, a 25cm waist is fine with size 8 feet.

i'd compare the dark to the NS cobra
Erm, in what way would you compare the Dark Series to the NS Cobra? Two pretty different boards.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm not saying that I catch edges and fall on the cat tracks, because I don't, what I'm trying to say is that I want something that can flat base on them without catching tracks without me correcting them as much when I'm on them with my slow friends. I have plenty of experince on them and I just do short fast edge transitions to keep from having to flat base on them. Essentially I just want something that can be ridden hard like camber, but can also handle slower speeds and transitions edge to edge fast no matter what speed I'm going.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

And I have size 10 2013 Burton Imperial boots with shrinktech so size 9 on the outside. Someone recommended that my waist width be somewhere between 248 and 252.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm more concerned about the 158 with your size an weight. I would be more inclined to go with a 155. It has magnatraction and is stiff, so what would the extra length be for? Edge hold and stability would be lesser arguments.

Also, you say you want twin-like, but the dark series is one of the most directional boards that lib offers. If you want to ride switch, there are better options.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

As for the size thing, ya I was wondering about that as well. I only got the 158 in my mind because my current board is a 156 and I felt that I would like something just a bit bigger next time for more stability.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

And twin like was just a bonus in my mind to just help a bit with landing switch off the occasional jumps I sometimes hit, definately not a prerequisite. I'll be able to adjust to whatever board I buy, it's not a huge deal.