Rode Whistler- Want All mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rode Whistler- Want All mountain board

So I want an all mountain board. After riding whistler and doing some back country riding and getting to the age of 30, I really have no desire to ride park anymore, it just isnt fun for me.

So I was looking at the Jones Flagship.

I want to be able to bring it to whistler or out west but also handle the groomers and some ice in VT.

Let me know what you think.......I have a size 13 and I wanted something around a 166 (im 6'4 and 225lbs)
golfer1659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1659 View Post
So I want an all mountain board. After riding whistler and doing some back country riding and getting to the age of 30, I really have no desire to ride park anymore, it just isnt fun for me.

So I was looking at the Jones Flagship.

I want to be able to bring it to whistler or out west but also handle the groomers and some ice in VT.

Let me know what you think.......I have a size 13 and I wanted something around a 166 (im 6'4 and 225lbs)
I have no info on the flagship, but I am 6'3" and when I was 240 lbs I was riding a 166 Arbor that was really just too long for an all mountain board. Go for something 3 or 4 cm smaller.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I have no info on the flagship, but I am 6'3" and when I was 240 lbs I was riding a 166 Arbor that was really just too long for an all mountain board. Go for something 3 or 4 cm smaller.
I rode a 166 in the backcountry and it was plenty fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1659 View Post
I rode a 166 in the backcountry and it was plenty fine.
There is a big difference between a board for backcountry riding and a board for resort riding. By saying all-mountain, most would figure that you are talking resort. A 166 in a resort setting is overkill 99% of the time. Get it that size if you really want, but know that unless your primarily riding backcountry, it won't be as much fun as a shorter board.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

CAPiTA NAS (Normal Ass Snowboard) 163WIDE -

I rode the 160 Wide all over Whistler/Blackcomb earlier this season- Perfect quiver for all mountain conditions.

NAS Clinc Video

Last edited by P.Swayze; 03-19-2013 at 01:52 PM.
P.Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

OP did you even look at the Jones website? From what I saw, with your size 13s you want a mid-wide in the low 26.Xs for waist width. The Jones Flagship has hybrid camber profile, so you can size down a few cm. Your options are the 168W or a 163W... do the 163W. The board is solid and a lot of people like it. If, by saying you are done with park, you no longer want to ride switch, then it is a good option. If you still want to ride switch but are just done with boxes and rails in the park, then I think there are better options. The board is definitely on the more directional side of things.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea the 163W sounds good. Do you think riding backcountry that would still be big enough? I dont see how the 166 would be overkill at my size and weight plus when I just want to bomb shit....
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
There is a big difference between a board for backcountry riding and a board for resort riding. By saying all-mountain, most would figure that you are talking resort. A 166 in a resort setting is overkill 99% of the time. Get it that size if you really want, but know that unless your primarily riding backcountry, it won't be as much fun as a shorter board.
This board would be my west coast board. I plan on doing more trips to Utah/Colorado and Whistler.

I have a 159 smokin superpark that I got this season in a 159 if I want to tool around.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton custom comes in wide format in a variety of lengths to suit various riders. Comes in cambered version if you're concerned about dealing with ice coast conditions and prioritize edge hold, or flying V if you want something more oriented to softer snow such as whistler often has.

If you're primary use is trips out west without regard for ice (per your last post) then consider non cambered shape such as burton Sherlock - the design was driven by a whistler local apparently. (full disclosure I have one that I bought for trips to whistler and I really like it for that use).

If you're talking deep powder ie backcountry or cat/heli then look at dedicated powder board such as burton barracuda or fish/cheetah, but these aren't optimal for riding the resort, they're ok at best on groomers. If you really dig back country maybe a splitboard?

pardon the burtonspeak, I only know their line well enough to contribute to this in those terms.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
I weigh 190 and I just spent a couple days at whistler riding my friend's 166 malolo. This was fun in the morning if you were among the first ones to get to fresh snow but too much board for the rest of the day, or if there wasn't any fresh snow. I either sized down part way through the day or didn't bring the 166 if there wasn't a good snowfall.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote