question about bindings(paired with skunkape) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
r33dm0n3y

Default question about bindings(paired with skunkape)

This season will be my second full season and I have decided to invest in some nice gear. I just got the 09 Skunkape BTX (167), and plan on getting some nice bindings to complement my board. I go 6'3" about 220 lbs., ride mostly down down the hill, and want something really responsive. Last season I really wanted the Cartels but didn't have the cash. Now I can get last years for a really good deal. The guys at the shop where I got my board are trying to talk me into the Burton Triads, but I have read that they are kinda slow, but super comfortable. I'm reading about the Rome lineup tonight and they sound like pretty good bindings. I feel like I'm at a point where no matter what I decide I'll really like, but I just want to make the right choice(if that makes sense at all). Pretty much it's the 07-08 Cartles vs. 08-09 triads vs. 08-09 Rome Targas. For a large binding (size 14 boot) which of these is going to suit my riding style the best? also, if you have a suggestion, lay it on me....i'd like to get as much info as I can before I buy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Cartels over Triads. The Triads felt exactly like the Cartels, really no difference at all.

For other options:
Rome Targas
Ride SPi's
Union Force MC
Union Force SL

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
r33dm0n3y

the mc's look SICK but the cheapest I found was 299.00....i can get the cartels for 139......is it really worth it?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Only if your not ok with stock forward lean. The Cartels have stock forward lean around the amount that Unions max out at.

Also, buy my things?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

I know you guys are gonna bag on me but this is big man.. Burton P ones. lookout here they come!! Me like dem cuz de wrk gooed.. hurrrrrrrr....hrrrr shucks fer me. bean bery bery goo to me...love me long time.

Don't fear forward lean unless you spend most of your time gangsta jibbin...you might want a lil fer freeeeridin yippe yo ky yea Oh yeah

Last edited by oneplankawanka; 10-09-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
r33dm0n3y

I have just heard that the p1's and the triad aren't that "fast", but that I can ride all day and not get fatigued at all. I just want something really responsive.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

Responsive usually equals stiff...ie carbon fiber bling bling, and large amounts of your hard earned cash.

Its a tough call but I recommend medium flexing bindings for all moutain riding... Its a compromise for that all around vibe we all look for in a one board set up. I am assuming by "fast" u mean super responsive?

Last edited by oneplankawanka; 10-09-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well if you're saying that medium flexing bindings would be best, then again, cartels over P1's. P1's are a little more comfortable and softer Cartels. Cartels are a great all mountain binding. Its what I used to ride with my skier buddies, and those days I rode the lift once, and hiked the park the rest of the day. Lasted me four years.

Also, buy my things?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

I think the P ones are softer than the cartel and the highbacks are completely different. the p one has what burton calls a living hinge (I know marketing sthick) and the cartel highback is much higher and does not flex laterally like the p one does. I demoed the cartel and did not like the highback, but I like the way the h back flexes for all mountain while still offering heaps o support.. (p 1) The P one is definately not as light as the cartel but I find the p much more comfy. I have nothing but good things to say about Burton binders... they have been good to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want stiff and responsive check out the Ride SPi's also... I'm a big guy too, 6'3 240 right now and I had SPi's for 2.5 seasons and loved them until I started feeling them a bit in my knees and lower back. I demo'd Triad's P1's and CO2's from Burton, Targas from Rome (I ride a Flag 168), Flow NXT-AT's, Union Data's and Force's and finally I went with Raiden Phantom's (last years Eero Etala model). I am picking up a pair of Union Data's this season for my every day board. What I didn't like about the P1's was they were too soft all around and not responsive enough coming from the SPi's, they were comfortable but felt too sloppy. The Triad's were a tad bit stiffer but of the line, I liked the CO2's the best. Very responsive and very comfortable if you are going for a burton pair that's probably your best bet. I couldn't get into the flows again they were comfortable but I couldn't bring myself to succomb after a bad experience a few years ago with a pair of AMP 5's. The Targa are cool, very adjustable...reason I didn't go with them is because they reminded me too much of the SPi's. I didn't initially go for the Union's because I didn't like they're lateral flex though the Data's were probably the most comfortable binding's I tried which is why i'm buying them this year. I ended up buying the Raiden Phantom's and I really, really like this binding alot. Very responsive but more forgiving than my SPi's. For me has the right amount of flex in the right places also. Why am I switching them then? No real reason, I'm just a gear hound and like to have bunch of options to choose from depending on who i'm riding with. I generally ride the same terrain as yourself also... not much of a park person at this stage of my life
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote