Damage! Virus Avalanche FLP AFT :( - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Default Damage! Virus Avalanche FLP AFT :(

Well maybe I'm crying over spilt milk, because the pics make it look really tame. But there's about a 10 cm x 2 cm section of board edge that has rotated upwards ever so slightly.

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hm, that is not how I normally adjust my side/base bevel...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Hm, that is not how I normally adjust my side/base bevel...
Lol, so I've decided I REALLY need to start building my own boards!!! I only really need one core shape, since I'll build all the boards around a 160 cm BX style core. RCR camber pattern. I'll build them for myself and if anybody wants to buy my crazy contraptions they can go for it! lol

I'm thinking I should do nothing to the virus, and just continue to ride it. Chances are as long as I don't land on another rock, it'll be fine like this. Although the heelside carving may suffer a wee bit!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Bummer but not the end of the world.
It looks like a heel side skidded turn has hit something just behind the edge tines (obvious by the base damage) which has pushed the edge out and possibly up aswell, cant make it out in the pics.
I would straight edge it and mark it with a marker to see how much material will be lost if you file it back to straight, if its half or less file it back.

On another note is there a thread on these boards somewhere? I would like to hear your impressions.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Bummer but not the end of the world.
It looks like a heel side skidded turn has hit something just behind the edge tines (obvious by the base damage) which has pushed the edge out and possibly up aswell, cant make it out in the pics.
I would straight edge it and mark it with a marker to see how much material will be lost if you file it back to straight, if its half or less file it back.

On another note is there a thread on these boards somewhere? I would like to hear your impressions.
Yeah as I look at the base, and the pics it doesn't look as bad as I originally though. I think I'm just bummed that after 20 days on it I've beat it hard enough to break SOMETHING.

Here's be review thread, with a link to the initial thoughts: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...e-flp-aft.html

In short, the board is fantastic. It looks weird, clumsy, etc. but it floats in powder quite well, yet rails a carve HARD, truly the best board I've ever owned by far. That's why I'm so sad about the damage!

I think there are two things that really make this board what it is...

1) The BX shape gives you tons of effective edge. Over 140 cm on a 160 cm board. This means not only on groomers but in the powder that nose is big and wide.

2) The relaxed camber profile (it's got about 1/3rd the camber of my Burton T7) with the lifted nose makes it really fun in powder. I had it out in a DEEP day about a month ago, and going from a Burton Custom 156 to this board in a 160 was like night and day. Not even in the same realm. The Virus was fun, while the Custom was a lot of work to ride.

Shit... Now I've convinced myself I need to order another Virus...
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not the end of the world. Grab the rubber mallet and start having some fun.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not the cost of buying an expensive board, it's the fact that you need to be prepared to replace it because you busted it or got it stolen etc. unfortunately for aggressive riders snowboards are like gas, you buy em you use them up, you buy more.

It's either that or stay on the trails. Look at it this way, you've now got the hottest rock board around.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
It's not the cost of buying an expensive board, it's the fact that you need to be prepared to replace it because you busted it or got it stolen etc. unfortunately for aggressive riders snowboards are like gas, you buy em you use them up, you buy more.

It's either that or stay on the trails. Look at it this way, you've now got the hottest rock board around.
Real logic and truth here. Don't feel bad I shark finned a brand new swallowtail yesterday 5 minutes after getting off the lift. Board now has a 2 inch section of sidewall and base mangled and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to ride it.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you're anal, you could take care of the top sheet, so it doesn't snag on anything and peel. Hard to tell from the pic if this is a possibility.

That and if you fixed it with a black color that blends in, you wouldn't feel as bad when you looked down on it.
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea man dont feel bad, ive beaten my evo into the ground and i love it to death. has a deep shot right next to the edge right under my bindings, some really gnarled gouges and i put another little shot into it on a rock on wednesday. it still rides like a beast but i know its days are numbered. its going to make a beautiful wall decoration one day

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East§ide is offline   Reply With Quote