Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board Recommendation (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/75906-board-recommendation.html)

Board Gadget 03-23-2013 08:47 AM

Board Recommendation

1 Attachment(s)
I have been snowboarding for one year. Last year my 4 kids and I got the stoke. So, I ended up buying a ton of gear during a really mild winter in Minnesota at discounted prices. My kids range in age from 7 to 15 so this was not cheap. We bought heavily discounted brands at Sports Authority. For now my younger kids are riding Sims and that is just the way it is going to be. They just are growing too fast to buy something expensive. My two older buys ended up on a Rome and a K2 because they have stopped growing.

After buying 5 boards, 5 helmets, 5 sets of bindings, etc. My board had to be a Sims also. I purchased the Sims Protocol pictured below with boots and bindings for $160.00 new last March.

Sims Protocol Board: 157
Sims Boots: Mens Size 8, I think I should wear a 7 1/2 though.
Sims Bindings
Male
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 200

I am an intermediate rider. Riding for one year. I can handle black diamonds in Minnesota. I ride groomers only and may take a trip out west next year for POW. No park, no jumps. We have a lot of poor choppy icy conditions in Minnesota. Edge hold is a big deal for me because I am 45. I can't be injured.

My board knowledge and understanding of the tech needs to improve. Some people on this forum are savants when it comes to tech. I do know I rode my sons Rome Garage Rocker with Union Bindings and it felt different. I could feel every lump of snow under the board and it was very flexible.

I need your opinions on the current board I own. Is the technology in this board holding me back or can I ride it another year without issue? Should my board be shorter? With my skill level would I notice a jump in skill level with a better board? If so, I would like to know your recommendations on a new board and length, bindings, boots?

I think this board will work for me for another year but I need input. It is a Sims. Not exactly a lot of reviews out there:laugh: But if I run into a smokin' deal I want to be prepared. I do like the wood Arbors and I am curious about the Never Summer boards.

Thanks guys. Interested in what you have to say.

Board Gadget 03-24-2013 07:32 PM

Re: Board Recommendation

Bump:rolleyes:

24WERD 03-24-2013 07:58 PM

Buy stuff off Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange by seller "back country" only.

You could buy a lot of good stuff for cheap in the offseason you just have to look.

No need to buy cheap low price point stuff.

Snowboard industry has one of the highest retail markup, you can buy boards over 50% off in the off season and up to 80% on lots of the major brands like DC and Nomis stuff off Whiskey Militia.

Because you have a pipeline of kids, you might as well buy good boards that you can pass down for 3 seasons.

Look at the mervin boards : roxy, gnu, lib-tech, for mtx magnetraction for ice. smokin snowoboards.

For really good deal look at STATUS Snowboard Company and use the code (save30now) for 30% off sales prices. Boards go as low as $110. Boards pressed by neversummer so quality is there.

otherwise just read the forum.

EastCoastChris 03-25-2013 01:40 AM

I am lost on a lot of the new tech as well. Nor do I know men's boards. But i'm sure picking up something with better materials/construction than a Sims from SA will advance your riding (and last long enough to get handed down to one of the boys.) The deals are out there. Check evo.com, dogfunk.com or maybe the-house.com (they purchased sierra a while ago i guess.) A lot of stuff went out of stock when the sales first started but check out the 2012s (by March next year you can find dirt cheap 2013s.

I picked up a Rome board recently with a flat profile (rocker tips) and something they call quickrip sidecut -it basically engages a second edge in the tip and tail when turning at higher speeds. The edge hold on hard pack is fantastic! But it still rides like a park board when flat basing. So yeah while I dont understand all the tech in the board...according to my Ski Tracks app it made a HUGE improvement in speed, pitch and not to mention fun (much more enjoyable runs) over th crappy rental board I had used previously.

I'm a little agnostic on buying used gear. If you can find a good deal on used gear go for it...but most people on Craigslist don't understand the concept of snowboard and gear depreciation. I bought a brand new decent 2012 Rome board, intermediate bindings and boots (2012 k2 cassette bindings and 2012 Ride boots) and the set up was $255 shipped free. Why would I want to buy someone's 2010 Burton Lipstick or god forbid Lamar or Santa Cruz set up for $350 because they paid $550 and only used it 3 times one season? The troublesome part is that you get a lot of people pricing their stuff inappropriately and they wont budge because they paid the mark up price wheras you should be paying the depreciated price (even lower than the outlet price you can get on evo or the-house.com or dogfunk.com.) Like I just saw a lady selling her 2013 Saloman Kiana boots for $30 because they didnt match her board's colors. Lol. Thats fair pricing. But for everyone of those ads there's 20 "2009 Burton Emeralds - like new - $75" when a 2012 pair will cost $95-$110 in an online outlet. I think you may do better in a dealer/shop selling on consignment since they have the used gear sitting next to new stuff.
if you see a good deal, bite...but make sure its a good deal. Otherwise if you can come up like $90-$120 on your price point you can find a decent board at the end of the season that will improve your all mountain riding tremendously.

Good luck!

Lamps 03-25-2013 07:09 AM

If your number 1 priority is edge hold I would get a cambered board or one with magnetraction or other edge hold tech. Equally or perhaps most important to keep it sharp, learn to test sharpness with your fingernail and either buy sharpening stuff or don't skimp on having a shop do it.

Board Gadget 03-25-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 867690)
If your number 1 priority is edge hold I would get a cambered board or one with magnetraction or other edge hold tech. Equally or perhaps most important to keep it sharp, learn to test sharpness with your fingernail and either buy sharpening stuff or don't skimp on having a shop do it.

Thanks.:eusa_clap:

Board Gadget 03-25-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastChris (Post 867490)
I am lost on a lot of the new tech as well. Nor do I know men's boards. But i'm sure picking up something with better materials/construction than a Sims from SA will advance your riding (and last long enough to get handed down to one of the boys.) The deals are out there. Check evo.com, dogfunk.com or maybe the-house.com (they purchased sierra a while ago i guess.) A lot of stuff went out of stock when the sales first started but check out the 2012s (by March next year you can find dirt cheap 2013s.

I picked up a Rome board recently with a flat profile (rocker tips) and something they call quickrip sidecut -it basically engages a second edge in the tip and tail when turning at higher speeds. The edge hold on hard pack is fantastic! But it still rides like a park board when flat basing. So yeah while I dont understand all the tech in the board...according to my Ski Tracks app it made a HUGE improvement in speed, pitch and not to mention fun (much more enjoyable runs) over th crappy rental board I had used previously.

I'm a little agnostic on buying used gear. If you can find a good deal on used gear go for it...but most people on Craigslist don't understand the concept of snowboard and gear depreciation. I bought a brand new decent 2012 Rome board, intermediate bindings and boots (2012 k2 cassette bindings and 2012 Ride boots) and the set up was $255 shipped free. Why would I want to buy someone's 2010 Burton Lipstick or god forbid Lamar or Santa Cruz set up for $350 because they paid $550 and only used it 3 times one season? The troublesome part is that you get a lot of people pricing their stuff inappropriately and they wont budge because they paid the mark up price wheras you should be paying the depreciated price (even lower than the outlet price you can get on evo or the-house.com or dogfunk.com.) Like I just saw a lady selling her 2013 Saloman Kiana boots for $30 because they didnt match her board's colors. Lol. Thats fair pricing. But for everyone of those ads there's 20 "2009 Burton Emeralds - like new - $75" when a 2012 pair will cost $95-$110 in an online outlet. I think you may do better in a dealer/shop selling on consignment since they have the used gear sitting next to new stuff.
if you see a good deal, bite...but make sure its a good deal. Otherwise if you can come up like $90-$120 on your price point you can find a decent board at the end of the season that will improve your all mountain riding tremendously.

Good luck!

Good post. Thanks. :eusa_clap:

Board Gadget 03-25-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24WERD (Post 867010)
Buy stuff off Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange by seller "back country" only.

You could buy a lot of good stuff for cheap in the offseason you just have to look.

No need to buy cheap low price point stuff.

Snowboard industry has one of the highest retail markup, you can buy boards over 50% off in the off season and up to 80% on lots of the major brands like DC and Nomis stuff off Whiskey Militia.

Because you have a pipeline of kids, you might as well buy good boards that you can pass down for 3 seasons.

Look at the mervin boards : roxy, gnu, lib-tech, for mtx magnetraction for ice. smokin snowoboards.

For really good deal look at STATUS Snowboard Company and use the code (save30now) for 30% off sales prices. Boards go as low as $110. Boards pressed by neversummer so quality is there.

otherwise just read the forum.

Thanks for the links. :eusa_clap:

Board Gadget 03-26-2013 04:17 PM

Bump. :rolleyes:

Board Gadget 04-06-2013 09:03 PM

Bump:unsure: