2013 vs 2014 NS Proto? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 vs 2014 NS Proto?

SO what are the main changes from the Proto CT to the Proto HD? I've read the specs, but im not very fluent with my snowboard jargon.

I love the idea of the proto Ct's flex and edge hold, but from what I'm seeing the HD is getting stiffened?

Has anyone rode the HD yet to give some feedback?
a4h Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The break in period is pretty short. The flex out of the package isn't its true flex. After 10-15 days it softens up and then stays pretty consistent from there.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The break in period is pretty short. The flex out of the package isn't its true flex. After 10-15 days it softens up and then stays pretty consistent from there.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I highly respect y'alls opinions.

Extremo,

You have answered every question I have had on this forum so far, and you seem to be more of my style of rider. I find myself spending just about all my time in the park at my small local mountains now adays, and outside the park is not to demanding since I am on the east coast. I really like both the 2014 proto and Evo. I know the evo can handle anything my local mountain can offer, and the playful flex will be great for the days when conditions just suck. My only factor left to take into account is my trips about once a year to the bigger mountains west or north. Will the evo be able to handle terrain outside the park in these areas well? If not I think the proto may be the choice?

Ultimately, I have a ride dh2 now. I love this board, but I was hoping it would be a little softer. In my 100% perfect world the proto will be just that, a softer version of my dh2. However, reality says it is probably about the same and maybe I should go with the evo with the new tech that seems like it will be much better outside the park than this years model?

Long message, sorry bout that, but you guys are the best! I would love to hear yalls opinion even though you may not have riden the new evo yet. I would love to see a comparison thread once you guys have rode both! Thanks a ton!

Last edited by a4h Saint; 03-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Evo is extremely soft after it breaks in. I personally don't think it has any place outside the park, or if you're a heavier rider, outside of jibbing.

The Proto is softer than the DH2. I'd say the DH2 is a 7 on the stiffness scale and the Proto is a closer to a 5 after it breaks in, which is fairly quick. The Evo is more like a 3 after break in. And with detuned park edges, you don't have the benefits of the variogrip to give you that added control you need on other parts of the mountain.

If you're a lighter rider, and looking for a really soft jib board, you could probably get away with riding the Evo outside of the parks, but if you want something more versatile, I'd go with the Proto.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The Evo is extremely soft after it breaks in. I personally don't think it has any place outside the park, or if you're a heavier rider, outside of jibbing.

The Proto is softer than the DH2. I'd say the DH2 is a 7 on the stiffness scale and the Proto is a closer to a 5 after it breaks in, which is fairly quick. The Evo is more like a 3 after break in. And with detuned park edges, you don't have the benefits of the variogrip to give you that added control you need on other parts of the mountain.

If you're a lighter rider, and looking for a really soft jib board, you could probably get away with riding the Evo outside of the parks, but if you want something more versatile, I'd go with the Proto.
I get to use the new proto!!! I love you guys! No Homo
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey here is a follow up question, I've noticed many of you guys are loving the new proto hd. So can I get like a list of bindings that the lot of you guys use on it?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys would the proto hd 157 be suitable for a beginner to intermediate level rider.
I'm 5'8" 180lbs. Looking to ride the whole mountain and progress into freestyle as I get better at riding. I'll be mostly riding in Australia...not much pow.
DigitalReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4h Saint View Post
Hey here is a follow up question, I've noticed many of you guys are loving the new proto hd. So can I get like a list of bindings that the lot of you guys use on it?
I've been riding the Rome 390 Boss on mine.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalReaver View Post
Hey guys would the proto hd 157 be suitable for a beginner to intermediate level rider.
I'm 5'8" 180lbs. Looking to ride the whole mountain and progress into freestyle as I get better at riding. I'll be mostly riding in Australia...not much pow.
If there is not a lot of pow you could go a size smaller (which I would do), but the 157 will work. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs riding the 2013 Proto 157 as an all mountain board and it still floats OK in the powder, but I don't use it as my powder day board. The 2014 Proto HD should be a bit more damp, so you comfortably size down at 180 lbs.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
cmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalReaver View Post
I'm 5'10" 175lbs give or take and have a '12 Proto 154. I pretty much agree with BigmountainVMD's advice. I'm not sure what Australia's mountains are like but I'm happy with the 154 performance about on any terrain. I've also survived a decent powder day with it too by accident. You'd be ok with either size to be honest if thats the board you're looking to get. The 154 may just be a little easier and quicker to turn and probably better for you down the line when you get into freestyle imo. FWIW I do also have a 158 heritage that hasn't seen much time on the snow since I got the proto.
cmo is offline   Reply With Quote