New guy needs board help! (I've researched also) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New guy needs board help! (I've researched also)

Hey guys! After always wanting to try boarding, some friends and I rented a condo for 3 days by Sunshine Village here in Alberta for my 30th Bday last month and I finally tried it. I am soooo addicted now.

For that first weekend I borrowed my buddy's Burton Bullet 159 (wide board) and his boots. It's got Burton Freestyle bindings on it also. That's what I've been using for now so that's my only board experience. My friends have told me they are really surprised at how fast I'm picking things up and I plan to continue this now as long as my body will let me.

Day 1: strapped in, hopped on the chair, managed to get off no problem, and started off down a green run. Had a few falls but nothing major. Was riding blues by the end of the day and rode the ski out down at the end of the day.

Day 2: about the same as day 1.

Day 3: stuck to a Green run for a good chunk of the day working on the toe side transition. Managed to get it somewhat but not as good as I hoped (yes I'm determined to progress my ability and I'm stubborn)

Day 4: had one of those ah-ha moments when my choice was to ride my toe edge and keep up speed or get off and walk on a flat spot. I didn't walk! By the end of the day I was comfortably carving back and forth from edge to edge both regular and switch. Comfortably riding all blues by the end of the day and did a couple blacks (not riding over my head, just taking it slow and feeling out the terrain)

Day 5: This was this past Saturday. Pretty much the same as Day 4 but I started trying some small jumps off natural hits on one of the blue runs and trying a couple small cliff drops (really small like 4'-5') as well as having a blast winding through some tight stuff in the trees.

Sorry for the essay but I'm hoping by giving as much info as possible it will be easier for others to comment on my choices. At this point I'm ready to throw down some cash for a nice quality board that will last me a few years and I won't outgrow skill wise too soon. I figured boots are going to be at least as important if not more than the board so after trying everything from Vans, 32, and Burton that I could find I ended up with a pair of Burton Hails. I have very wide feet but a narrower heel and they fit me the best with no heel lift and they're insanely comfy.

I read the FAQ at the top of this section and did a bunch of research on my own of boards that interest me but I'm looking for some more input to narrow it down and see if any of these are right or totally wrong for me. As for the Bullet I've been using I like the length but I feel like it's a bit dead to me from edge to edge. I think that's probably because it's wider than I need. The tail also seems to slide around on me a bit but that might just be due to me being too far forward.

I copied this list from the FAQ also and tried to answer as well as possible.

Weight - 180lbs and 5'10"
Boot size - 11 (Burton Hails with the footprint reduction)
Riding style - all mountain free ride. Tight stuff through the trees, natural hits, groomers, powder, no park anytime soon.
Age - 30
budget - $450 or so
Your location of riding - Alberta Rockies (Sunshine, Louise, etc.) and probably BC (Fernie, Whitewater)

The ones I've been looking at are:

NS SL 158
NS Cobra 158
Arbor Coda 159
Arbor Element 159 (cx or rx???)
Arbor Formula 158 (worried I'll advance past this board too soon and regret the purchase)

If I have left out anything you need to know at all just ask and I'll try to answer. Thanks for any help on this as I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to decide right now. I don't think I'd be making a mistake jumping to a more intermediate board but maybe I'm an idiot.
sj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've been on the SL, Cobra and Coda.

Are you going to be doing a lot of switch? The cobra can be ridden switch (they say ) but it's different.

After 5 days are you really carving? Not saying you aren't, but usually new riders conflate carving with linking turns.

To me, the Coda is super playful and fun, the Cobra is super serious and fast.

Perhaps someone more experienced can chime in, but that's my opinion.

Hadn't ridden the other boards.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sorry, you may be right on the linking turns part. Part of a new hobby is learning the right terms also I guess. So let's just say I am comfortable transitioning back and forth from toe to heel in wide turns or just narrow back and forth. As for switch no I don't ride it much. Usually only if I have to for some reason like I have stop for someone and then go switch to get around them.

Edit - Of those three that you've used is there any glaring reason why I should be avoiding them? I feel like I'm willing to take the time to learn and get used to how any board works the best but if there is something about them that will really slow down my progress I guess that would be nice to know.

Last edited by sj250; 03-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm about your weight and I ride the Coda 159. I think it would be a great board for you. Rocker for the forgiveness but still with great edge hold and definitely able to do anything you want it to all around the mountain. You won't outgrow this board anytime soon and it has great float in powder.

Most of the boards you researched are very good so you can't really go wrong with most of them. I would stay clear of the Element though because it is pretty much a dedicated freeride stick. Also, I wouldn't recommend the Formula too much. It's on the lower end of the Arbor line.

In the end it comes down to personal preference when it comes to camber profiles which you can't really have being a beginner. NS boards are great but they follow a different philosophy with their hybrid camber. Some prefer it, some don't. I say go with the Coda.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for the input Basti! It's greatly appreciated. I think I had my mind pretty much made up to go with the Arbor over NS I just had to decide which one. Now at least I have some experience of others to go by and 2 people both saying the Coda makes me feel good about that choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup, can't go wrong with any of the boards.

The arbors are loose without feeling loose. I don't know if that explains it right. You don't notice the rocker being loose, until you jump back onto camber or rocker/camber.

I rode arbor rocker for a year and had great fun, although more fun on the Coda than the Westmark.

Went back to the rocker/camber and it whipped me around. My technique got a bit sloppy on the Arbor, so I had to adjust back a little. I softened up the edges on the N/S a little bit, went back out on the Cobra and had a blast all over Mammoth Mountain.

One caveat, and it's really anecdotal, but the Arbor boards don't hold up to abuse the same. So if that's your thing, it is something to keep in mind.

I really like both brands. You'll like the Coda. Very springy for a full rocker, not too soft, not to stiff, and you can charge pretty good with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As a follow up, what bindings have you guys used and liked with the Coda?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I used Raiden Blackhawks.

I'm thinking the 390 Boss would work as well. Any medium flex binding would work (Malavita/Cartel, etc.)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well it's done. Arbor Coda is ordered and on the way!