Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Question - Setting up the board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/76697-question-setting-up-board.html)

Nerozor 03-28-2013 06:52 AM

Question - Setting up the board

Hello

The first time I rode my new board I had my bindings width at around 22"/56cm, which is the boards design stance. Is that like the designed stance for the board where it performes best? Cause yesterday I went with a wider stance, 63,5cm, and the board dident carve as good.

Thanks!

behi 03-28-2013 07:44 AM

I have done a lot of experimentation with different stances.

If you go wider than the reference stance, the board will most likely be less responsive to foot steering. However, for dynamic carves/skidded turns, there is no difference for me.

I had issues when carving, with the tail being prone to washing out with a wide stance. That was caused by rotating into the turn, resulting in the tail being at a lower tilt angle than the nose. With a narrower stance, I could largely compensate for that by keeping the back knee back. Not rotating into the turn fixes things for me (and the wide stance works perfectly fine).

spino 03-28-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerozor (Post 877529)
Hello

The first time I rode my new board I had my bindings width at around 22"/56cm, which is the boards design stance. Is that like the designed stance for the board where it performes best? Cause yesterday I went with a wider stance, 63,5cm, and the board dident carve as good.

Thanks!

an 8 cm difference is quite a lot.
basically, the optimal stance depends on physical height and personal taste.
i use a 64cm stance but i am 190cm tall with very long legs.

what is your height? if 56 feels too narrow i would suggest trying 60.

firlefranz 03-28-2013 07:46 AM

It depends on you legs length as well as preference. A wider stance will give you better stability while you'll find it harder to turn. As a rule of thumb, your stance width should be something around the length from your knees to the ground.

Nerozor 03-28-2013 07:52 AM

Im 193/6,3" so I should theoretically use around 63cm stance, by some guide I found (height x 0,33) :P

spino 03-28-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerozor (Post 877593)
Im 193/6,3" so I should theoretically use around 63cm stance, by some guide I found (height x 0,33) :P

are you using your binding discs to center the boots on the board?
otherwise you can use to fine tune the stance and try something like 62.
i would try and experiment with something in the 60-64 range anyway.

behi 03-28-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firlefranz (Post 877585)
As a rule of thumb, your stance width should be something around the length from your knees to the ground.

IMO, rules like that don't make any sense. People vary quite a lot anatomically, including ratios of various bone lengths.

firlefranz 03-28-2013 08:14 AM

Yeah, I agree. But, if you setup your bindings for the 1st time, it may help you to get some kind of starting point to adjust from.

Nerozor 03-28-2013 08:27 AM

Its not my first time, but its the first time in awhile since ive ridden a board that isent a rocker. So it was kinda funky to notice how much different it handled with wider stance, in a negative way unfortunaly :P
But ye, I set the stance at around 58cm and I think it might work out good!