Rome Vinyl / Lo Fi Rockers - Questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome Vinyl / Lo Fi Rockers - Questions

Ok, I am about to buy a new deck for my wife. Lil background: she is 5'5", weighs 133 with a size 6.5 boot. She has been "riding" for years but never really progressed so I will put her in the advanced beginner catagory. She has been riding a very old school Ride Dale Rehberg 147. It is a mens flex, HEAVY board and one she hasnt had much fun with. Time for something new and more up her all mountain alley. I have it narrowed down to two boards.

1. Rome Vinyl Rocker either 145 or 148
2. Rome Lo Fi Rocker either 146 or 149 (leaning more toward this one).

She is at the top end of the "recommended" rider weight for the 146 on the Lo Fi. I feel the 149 might be a bit much for her. Would rather get her the 146 but I need some input from the community.

What I would like to know...have any of you ridden either board? Any ridden both? Differences? Any recommendations on which direction I should lean for sizing?

Thanks in advance.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't been on either of them (sorry!), but I do find Rome's size charts for women's boards a bit weird. I was also at the top end of the weight range when I bought my 147 Rome Gold this year, which was completely different than size charts from other brands (which usually recommended smaller boards). I decided to go with the 147 instead of following the size chart, and I haven't had any problems. That being said, I don't think the 149 will be too much for her. I am 115 lbs and definitely wouldn't go smaller than the 147 I have now (I decided to go shorter because I like glades!). I'm not sure what the profile/flex is for the lo fi though, or what she's planninig to use it for or how strong/aggressive she is, etc. If you think she would prefer the shorter one I'm sure it will be fine - I just don't think you need to worry about completely relying on the size chart
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
I haven't been on either of them (sorry!), but I do find Rome's size charts for women's boards a bit weird. I was also at the top end of the weight range when I bought my 147 Rome Gold this year, which was completely different than size charts from other brands (which usually recommended smaller boards). I decided to go with the 147 instead of following the size chart, and I haven't had any problems. That being said, I don't think the 149 will be too much for her. I am 115 lbs and definitely wouldn't go smaller than the 147 I have now (I decided to go shorter because I like glades!). I'm not sure what the profile/flex is for the lo fi though, or what she's planninig to use it for or how strong/aggressive she is, etc. If you think she would prefer the shorter one I'm sure it will be fine - I just don't think you need to worry about completely relying on the size chart
Thats kind of where Im at. I know the vinyl is stiffer and slightly heavier which is why I think the Lo Fi would be a better fit. My theory is that she will have an easier time linking turns with the 46 as opposed to the 49, especially with having pretty small feet. And I somewhat agree about size charts. I should be on a 168 at least but ride a 65W and think I might have been fine going a bit shorter.

She will be using it primarily for progression. Im anticipating her outgrowing the board in a season or two. I just want her to get to where she can keep up with me. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersl View Post
Thats kind of where Im at. I know the vinyl is stiffer and slightly heavier which is why I think the Lo Fi would be a better fit. My theory is that she will have an easier time linking turns with the 46 as opposed to the 49, especially with having pretty small feet. And I somewhat agree about size charts. I should be on a 168 at least but ride a 65W and think I might have been fine going a bit shorter.

She will be using it primarily for progression. Im anticipating her outgrowing the board in a season or two. I just want her to get to where she can keep up with me. Thanks for your input.
Yeah, her feet are quite a bit smaller than mine - so you're right, she might be better with a more narrow board. I think the longest board I've ever owned was the one I learned on Hope she likes whatever you end up picking!
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Yeah, her feet are quite a bit smaller than mine - so you're right, she might be better with a more narrow board. I think the longest board I've ever owned was the one I learned on Hope she likes whatever you end up picking!
Hey thanks. Realized it was probably pointless to throw this thread up there as I basically had my mind made up on the 146 Lo Fi. $172 shipped to the door from Evo. Hell of a deal!