New rider here. Looking to purchase my first set-up - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New rider here. Looking to purchase my first set-up

Hey all, new rider here and I'm looking into purchasing my first set-up. Went snowboarding for the first time this weekend with my brothers gear and I absolutely fell in love with it; Even though I spent about 80% of the trip on my ass. lol.

Anyways, let me give you guys some basic information about myself:

Sex: Male
Height: 5'10
Weight: 155
Shoe Size: 9.5

Board: Let's start off with the most important part. I've done a little research and I guess there are multiple different "types" of boards. I guess for my sake I would like a standard "All Mountain" board since I live in socal and I will be most likely be just riding/cruising down the mountain. It just seems like a better option since it's universal. By the way, what's the correct term for just cruising down mountains? Casual rider?

I'm uncertain on what size to get. I've searched for a chart of a height/weight to board size ratio but no luck.

Now this is what confuses me the most about picking a board - the shape. I honestly have no clue on what shape to get. I guess I would prefer something that's kind of neutral and can be used "all-around" if possible.

Bindings: Don't really know much about bindings either. I guess something with a bit more flex would be more beneficial for a new rider such as myself.

One thing I do want to note is that for some strange reason, I think all red bindings sick. lol

Boots: Again, something that's a bit softer and a bit more flex would be more beneficial for me, right? I also really like that knob thingy some boots have. Seems really convenient and just a plus to have.

As for everything else I think I can figure it out on my own.

And I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm really into aesthetics/looks. I really would like red bindings and I prefer the more simplistic/clean/plain look. I think a black, grey, silver, or white board would look great with red bindings. Just to give you a general idea of what I like, I saw these burton board which looks pretty dope. Super Hero Snowboard | Burton Snowboards

Budget: I'm a bit unsure about this. I obviously don't want to break my bank, but I don't really want to cheap out either since this setup will most likely be used for years on out. So I might as well do it right the first time, right?

Also, what are some general popular brands that I should aim for? The only real brand I know of is burton.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions, but snowboarding gear isn't exactly cheap, so I would like to do this right with the help of your guys, of course.

Thanks
wompwomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have a dedicated snowboard store near you? If so, please go there and let them help you first. Since you are a beginner and have no preferences or experience yet it is very hard to help you from a distance. There are so many different brands and techs around and most of them can be good for you but it would really help you to hold the equipment in your hands and see how it looks and feels and ideally if some knowledgable shop guy explains you what is good for what. Right now is the time to buy. Great deals at the moment so your budget should be fine.

You could also start by reading the stickies on these forums (for example http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html).

A first pointer though: Your most important piece of equipment is your boots! Try on as many as possible until you find the ones that fit (read this: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...s-faq-etc.html).

My suggestion: go to a good store. Look at everything and have them explain everything. Let them tell you what they think is a good setup for you and come back here with their suggestions. Then we can help you out much better.

Good luck!
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have a dedicated snowboard store near you? If so, please go there and let them help you first. Since you are a beginner and have no preferences or experience yet it is very hard to help you from a distance. There are so many different brands and techs around and most of them can be good for you but it would really help you to hold the equipment in your hands and see how it looks and feels and ideally if some knowledgable shop guy explains you what is good for what. Right now is the time to buy. Great deals at the moment so your budget should be fine.

You could also start by reading the stickies on these forums (for example http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html).

A first pointer though: Your most important piece of equipment is your boots! Try on as many as possible until you find the ones that fit (read this: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...s-faq-etc.html).

My suggestion: go to a good store. Look at everything and have them explain everything. Let them tell you what they think is a good setup for you and come back here with their suggestions. Then we can help you out much better.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input!

I do have a snowboard shop around me but honestly, I'd rather not walk in with absolutely no knowledge and ask for help. I've had many horrible experiences doing so in the past. They always end up taking advantage of me. They provide me with false information and sell me equipment that doesn't suit my needs just to clear their unnecessary stock and put a little extra money in their pocket. Horrible. That's why I'm on here asking for help. I trust the judgement of experienced riders over people whom are just money hungry. Hopefully some of you will take some time and help a fellow beginner rider. I mean we all were beginners at some point.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I strongly agree with Basti: boots are the most important part. Choose not the ones with most flex, not the ones best reviewed, not the ones that the store says are the best value - choose those that fit your feet in the best possible way.

For the board and bindings it is a whole lot less important at the beginner level what exactly you pick. To save money, consider picking up a used set using local classifieds. Depending on how often you go boarding and how quickly you progress, it may be a while before you feel the need to upgrade, and by then you will perhaps have a better idea of what type of board and bindings you want next.

Going this way has an added advantage that if you accidentally do something unintended and damage your board, you will not feel as bad, as you did not spend a ton of money on it and it's easier on the wallet to replace if needed.

Buy the boots first, and bring them with you when you buy bindings, to make sure they actually fit. Different brands and models can have very different external sizes even if the foot size is the same.

Last edited by Liliana; 03-31-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

The only thing I'd add -- and keep in mind that this is totally based on my personal experience, not on any kind of Best Practices -- is to avoid a board that's too stiff or too directional. When you start out, you aren't usually sure exactly what you're going to like doing. You need more of a generalist board. A true twin isn't going to be a great all-mountain board, but when you're beginning you're not going to be bombing steep blues and blacks.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Understood. I will definately be going into a shop and try on some boots. Any boot brands/models should I try on in particular or should i just go into the shop and try on every single boot they have. lol.

And I would prefer to purchase a new board. Reason being I don't really mind spending the extra cash since this board will probably last me for years to come. Another reason why I want to do it correctly the first time.

A amaturish friend of mine recommended me to get the Burton custom flying V board. He stated it's a little on the pricier side, but it's an amazing board that many people love. Burton Custom Flying V Snowboard from Dogfunk.com
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

That burton was one of the boards I was going to try, but I liked the one the shop recommend too much to switch it out. What I did was rent demo boards to get an idea of what board I wanted. I'm going with the Never Summer SL.
KansasNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good advice here. I learned the hard way to shop for boots first. I start with the boot and build everything else around that.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Any more advice?