New boarder Looking for a new Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New boarder Looking for a new Board

I have recently moved to Colorado and spent my first winter renting boards I have only gotten to go a few times but have fallen in love with snowboarding so I am in the market for a new board. My skill level is, I can get down the mountain with very few wipeouts. I look to get much more proficient next season, wanting to get a little into the park but, concentrate mostly on all mountain. I am 5'11" 190 lbs; I want a a board that I can grow with. I have demo'd a 158 NS SL and a 157 Ride Buckwild. I don't think my skill level is good enough to know significant difference in board technology because I liked them both, only being able to compare to rentals. What board and size would you suggest for my wants.
dwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd say that you are looking at the right size boards already for the riding you're describing.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd go for a twin with more flex than an SL if I were you. Maybe a proto if you're looking for a neversummer. Thing is, you won't be riding enough pow or going fast enough while learning next season to require the kind of siffness and damp stability that an SL provides when you're riding 'all-mountain', and a twin will be better for you to practice riding switch while you're still learning. As soon as you get comfy hitting small kickers, it will be good to play around with buttering and little 180's...and the extra flex will make things easier and more fun.

Personally, I'm eyballing the proto or the flow shifty right now, and I think they'd be good for you also. Finally, you really can't go wrong with the Ride Machete. The only reason I'm not considering it is because I already have a board with a profile that's exactly the same as ride's low-rise rocker...and similar flex.

Last edited by flatlander; 03-31-2013 at 07:21 PM.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'd go for a twin with more flex than an SL if I were you. Maybe a proto if you're looking for a neversummer. Thing is, you won't be riding enough pow or going fast enough while learning next season to require the kind of siffness and damp stability that an SL provides when you're riding 'all-mountain', and a twin will be better for you to practice riding switch while you're still learning. As soon as you get comfy hitting small kickers, it will be good to play around with buttering and little 180's...and the extra flex will make things easier and more fun.
Sorry, but bullshit. Not much difference at all in flex between the Proto and the SL. And the SL is a directional twin and rides switch just fine.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Sorry, but bullshit. Not much difference at all in flex between the Proto and the SL. And the SL is a directional twin and rides switch just fine.
I rode a legacy (wide version of SL) during my first two seasons back after a 10 year break in 2006/7 during which I went from barely handling a difficult blue to shredding double-blacks and hitting most park features. Since then, I've ridden a friend's rome agent and started riding a capita sierrascope in 2009. Admittedly, I haven't ridden a proto....but I know it's rated as an all mountain freestyle board with more flex than something like the SL....similar to the agent and the sierrascope IMO. All that to say, here are my thoughts on your two criticisms:
  • Given my experience with the directional twin legacy, I feel like the the benefit of something closer to a true twin is definitely worthwhile....particularly while learning to be better at riding switch.
  • You do admit there *is* a difference in flex....albeit small. While I can't comment on the proto specifically, I would say the difference in flex between my legacy and the other boards I've ridden is also relatively small....and it definitely made a pretty big difference for me. I even went back to riding my old legacy for a couple of days this season just to confirm my suspicions about this.

Last edited by flatlander; 04-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would consider sizing up a little bit if I were you. I am 180 lbs, ride a little park but like you mostly all mountain and my boards are usually 159 or 160. It just gives you a bit of extra stability and doesn't really hold you back when playing around.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank You all for the Replies. Very Helpful I am now looking more towards the Proto. There is a real good deal on the LibTech Skate Banana. Any words on that.
dwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I rode a legacy (wide version of SL) during my first two seasons back after a 10 year break in 2006/7 during which I went from barely handling a difficult blue to shredding double-blacks and hitting most park features. Since then, I've ridden a friend's rome agent and started riding a capita sierrascope in 2009. Admittedly, I haven't ridden a proto....but I know it's rated as an all mountain freestyle board with more flex than something like the SL....similar to the agent and the sierrascope IMO. All that to say, here are my thoughts on your two criticisms:
  • Given my experience with the directional twin legacy, I feel like the the benefit of something closer to a true twin is definitely worthwhile....particularly while learning to be better at riding switch.
  • You do admit there *is* a difference in flex....albeit small. While I can't comment on the proto specifically, I would say the difference in flex between my legacy and the other boards I've ridden is also relatively small....and it definitely made a pretty big difference for me. I even went back to riding my old legacy for a couple of days this season just to confirm my suspicions about this.
Still bullshit.
Nowhere did I acknowledge that there is a difference in flex between the Proto and the SL. Now, virtually no two board models have an identical flex, but the SL and Proto are so close/identical that the difference, if there is one, is imperceptible to most people - and certainly to a beginner rider. There most certainly is no difference in the "kind of s[t]iffness" between the two boards. Incidentally, NS rates them the same for flex.
Also, although very slightly directional, the SL is still a twin. For riding switch the difference is again imperceptible to virtually everybody and certainly a beginner - if you cannot ride switch on an SL without issues, you cannot ride switch, period.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Still bullshit.
Nowhere did I acknowledge that there is a difference in flex between the Proto and the SL. Now, virtually no two board models have an identical flex, but the SL and Proto are so close/identical that the difference, if there is one, is imperceptible to most people - and certainly to a beginner rider. There most certainly is no difference in the "kind of s[t]iffness" between the two boards. Incidentally, NS rates them the same for flex.
Also, although very slightly directional, the SL is still a twin. For riding switch the difference is again imperceptible to virtually everybody and certainly a beginner - if you cannot ride switch on an SL without issues, you cannot ride switch, period.
I'm looking to sell my 2011 NS SL 158 with Rome L 390 Boss bindings (2012)
I've rode it maybe 10 times, it's heavy and doesn't do much better than my Evo. I like my supermodel x and heritage more.
I think it's a great board for beginners though, damp and forgiving.

Last edited by MarshallV82; 04-02-2013 at 09:40 AM.
MarshallV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Nowhere did I acknowledge that there is a difference in flex between the Proto and the SL.
Really? Sooo....you didn't say "not much." Alright then, pretty clear you're just looking for an argument... I definitely don't appreciate the indignant and presumptuous tone of your message, but I suppose I'll humor you with a reply anyways...

Quote:
Not much difference at all in flex between the Proto and the SL.
There's no question that *you said* there was "not much" difference in flex...which implies there is *some* difference. I'll be happy to accept your more recent assessment as a retraction, but please don't pretend like it's not right there in the text I've quoted. It's also been pretty well established in other threads around here that the proto seems to have a little more flex...possibly out of the box and definitely after a short 2 week break-in period.

Quote:
For riding switch the difference is again imperceptible to virtually everybody and certainly a beginner - if you cannot ride switch on an SL without issues, you cannot ride switch, period.
Partially agree with you here... Firstly, there's a difference between excelling at and learning/improving a skill versus "being able to do it without issues." The former areas are exactly where I believe a true twin is useful no matter the skill level. Second, for me, the difference was definitely perceptible as a beginner. It made a noticeable difference during turn initiation and when nose buttering from switch. This was actually the very first trick I tackled as a beginner because I could more easily do a 180 without having to worry about a sloppy switch landing, and the nose butter helped me slingshot into the spin without the kind of body twist that can throw a beginner off balance when trying to initiate. Also, during my transition to a true twin, having the same responsiveness during turn initiation for both switch/regular really made it more enjoyable to cruise down an entire run in switch until I got comfortable enough to land a good size straight air comfortably.

I don't know any other way to say it other than to say.... I have a two boards. One board is a directional twin wide version of the SL, and the other is a true twin Capita. I've ridden them both very recently on consecutive days, and I'm barely not a beginner...some would say I still am; and guess what: I notice a difference. For a more advanced rider as you seem to be, maybe not so much... It seems like switch riding is a skill that people sort of settle into and leave where it is..for utility. Getting to the point where it's comfy enough to be useful is the hardest part, and I firmly believe a twin board is at least a minor and somewhat worthwhile benefit to that process.

Last edited by flatlander; 04-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.