About the BTX... help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
thepinknoodle

Default About the BTX... help!

I am new to snowboarding. Last year was my first season. I was only able to board a small number of times due to a late start in the season and living back east and flying out west to board. I boarded on a board that was way to big for me at the time, but I just borrowed a friends gear and didn't really care much as long as I got to ride.

Ok, so now I have moved out west and the season is fast approaching. I want to buy a board. I've been looking at the GNU and Roxy boards. I ran across the term "Banana Traction" or BTX and am now confused as to if it is something I should be getting. From what I have read about it it sounds like something that would be beneficial to me... even as a beginner.

A bit more about me... I am 5'4" and 110 lbs. Based on the research I've done thus far I think I need a board length of about 141 to 143 and a width of 229. Any advice at all on the subject would be greatly appreciated as I have absolutely no gear of my own yet and will be purchasing it all very soon. Thanks so much!

Update: Ok, so now I am down to the Roxy Ollie Pop board or the B Nice MTX GNU board. Do I need the Magne-Traction that the GNU offers? I will not be jibbing this season or anything like that. Basically, I want to be able to perfect my riding style so I can upgrade later to something that allows me to get crazy on pipes, etc. but for now I just want to ride. I am thinking the Banana tech is more for advanced boarders? If anyone has any suggestions on beginner boards, but nothing too lame. I don't want to have to buy a new board next season. Something that is versatile in letting my boarding level grow. I am a fast learner and did really well last season... although I did end up cracking my tailbone doh!

Last edited by thepinknoodle; 10-17-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

banana, rocker or recurve all refer to the base being a reverse camber, meaning instead of the edges curving into the riding surface, the edges will curve upwards ... this makes it easier to initiate turns, switching and great float in powder ...... due to the edge not being automatically in contact with the surface, they have created different types of traction, whether its MTX, BTX, Vario-grip (all manufacturer names) it will have more edge contact points by having a slightly wavy metal edge, thus making contact points with each arch ..... Lib Tech, Never Summer, K2, Burton and others all offer a rockered board this year, some models its only available in rocker, kinda weird, i plan to demo one, but i just bought a new one and went regular, it doesnt sound too promising on east coast hard pack and ice
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You need to read this article I wrote for shred betties then. Shred Betties | Gear: Reviews & Information | Reverse Camber Explained

Also snoeboarder you really need to learn how to grasp the concepts of different tech rather than saying its just a manufacturers name. Everything you've listed is different.