Big Feet - Looking for Advanced Snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big Feet - Looking for Advanced Snowboard

Looking for some advice about looking at a possible new board. I am now two seasons in and enjoying the sport. I am 6'6" and just under 300 lbs with a size 16/17 shoe so not your small guy. I've been using a Nitro Magnum board for the last two seasons and so far so good.

The advice I am looking for is should I be looking for a different board? I am wondering if my board is a little stiff and not as workable as I would like it to be now that I am better snowboarder. When I am really trying to maneuver down a technical slope it is a ton of work to get my board to react.

In regards to my ride style I now have progressed to Blacks and even some double blacks. Went up to Whistler this season and did some semi-back country type stuff and loved it. For the most part I stick to the trails and when available I love getting off trail and into the POW. I really don't do the terrain park, but have played with some buttering tricks. Also I am not a speed demon. I enjoy more working the slope.

Not sure what another board would be like since I have not tried one and I know that there are few options in my size, but it would be great to get any input if you think it is something worth exploring.
rmerikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

safe to say i think, that you will be on a wide board...demo as many as you can, if you can...yet to ride it, but i am looking at the LibTech SkunkApe,if everything ive heard is true... may want to check that out, probably the 165 for you
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
safe to say i think, that you will be on a wide board...demo as many as you can, if you can...yet to ride it, but i am looking at the LibTech SkunkApe,if everything ive heard is true... may want to check that out, probably the 165 for you
Thanks, it is difficult to find boards to demo in my size. The SkunkApe does look like what I am looking for, but at waist width of only 268 I would be worried about sizing. My current board is about 278 and I am actually thinking about going wider not narrower.

The only board I have read about that may be wide enough is the Elan El Grande and I think this board will be less flexible then my current board.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I currently ride a 171 Elan El Grande which I find to be suprisingly nimble and flexible. I was afraid it was going to be a big stiff monster of a board that would be hard to manuver but you can really whip it around. I have done some fairly dense tree runs on it and have had no trouble avoiding the trees.

What bindings are you using? I have a 17 boot (ride bigfoot) and am curious what all fits it.
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback on the board

I use Technine T9 XL Snowboard bindings. Last time I checked they don't make them anymore and could not find any. I was noticing a little slippage earlier in the season, but with a little adjustment they seem to be working fine.

You may want to look at this post
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bin...ts-i-have.html
Gives an interesting solution to the bindings issue.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerikle View Post
Thanks, it is difficult to find boards to demo in my size. The SkunkApe does look like what I am looking for, but at waist width of only 268 I would be worried about sizing. My current board is about 278 and I am actually thinking about going wider not narrower.

The only board I have read about that may be wide enough is the Elan El Grande and I think this board will be less flexible then my current board.
News on the street is Lib Tech will offer a new Skunk Ape with a 28+ waist width. Like the other "Big Foot", I also have an Elan El Grande (well, I will have it in a couple of days).

And yeah, finding gigantor boards to demo is almost impossible.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
I also have an Elan El Grande (well, I will have it in a couple of days).
Make sure you report back on the Elan El Grande. I might pull the trigger on one of these, but just not very assured that there will be any difference from my current Nitro Magnum.

The SkunkApe does look very interesting if they make something in my size.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Magnum is not all that stiff with your weight. Don't expect a major difference with the El Grande. (I own an El Grande and have briefly tested the Magnum.)

Your other choices are the Skunk Ape (if they come out with the 28+ version) or a custom board. If you are in the US, Donek will do pretty much any waist size you want and customize the flex for you (you are looking at $600+).
behi is offline   Reply With Quote